1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite chord ?

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by aspwatterson, Jan 20, 2008.

1. telemonster

telemonster I've got a zappy little nappy

sorry!

ooops, i forgot a finger!

yes, standard tuning-i only use standard tuning-my brain can't cope with any more than that!

E a d g b e

X 3 2 0 3 3

i believe it's called C add9

the Am7 one goes:

E a d g b e

X 0 2 0 1 0

works well with 'D'

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Belated response.....

Took your advice Lin and abandoned the Quiz thingy. Don't think anyone likes the Eagles as a prize anyway maybe? The rock and roll incident recounted by Emma was told to her at 4 in the morning by a Rolling Stone when she bumped into him drunk in a hotel in North Wales after she'd had dip in the Irish Sea attending an inebriated wedding/reception and was shoeless/mindless. Can't remember which Rolling Stone [wasn't Jagger] but she asked him if he'd had any rock and roll incidents with Roy. And he said the one he remembered was peeing off the top of multi-storey car park and getting arrested with him.

there ou go..one for the scrapbook
    chrs
    andi

3. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

How can anyone have a favourite chord? I've always felt it wasn't individual chords but how they are placed together.

Take gershwin for example. A lot of the chords he used had all been used before many times. It was the cadences and keychanges that created that new fresh unique sound, which sounds so rich. The individual chords often sound ordinary.

I remember my music teacher at school playing the piano as i entered the classroom one time. I was blown away by the chords he was playing and asked him what they were. He played a few chords and said, "Even this one?"

I exclaimed yes and virtually demanded he told me what it was. He told me it was G major.

Thus he'd demonstrated the context of harmony is just as important as the harmonies themselves.

4. aspwatterson

Agreed but...

There are a few chords on a guitar that are deep never ending and cavernous, mixing minor with major, where discordancy creates quite an unnerving entity within it's perturbing resonancy of sharp jolts of wakefulness. Perhaps I should start writing reviews Lin? Am I getting better at bull****e??!!

andy

5. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

a VERY SHORT comment (1st day user)

I found the TAB for words and music after all. Having read all these posts, commenting on the last few especially...
    I don't have a favorite chord, but every instrument has better sounds you can coax out of it.
    I started teaching myself guitar 'cause I wanted to write music for my films in college and tiny electric pianos weren't cheap in 1980. Two girlfriends also wrote and played on guitar. For twenty years, all I could play was strummy stuff, great rhythms, strictly for accompaniment.
    I have 'perfect pitch' (which according to some means you can hear a melody once and repeat it perfectly). If I don't work out a melody in my head until it's on paper or memorized, I'll lose it. Same with lyrics.
    Now I'm figuring out different ways to play lead. I watch other performers and pick stuff up, but I'm not so good at talking details. I read music slowly, I mostly just play by ear and found I'm ten times better that way. I always push myself two levels beyond what I know I can play, so I often think I sound like crap, but I'm having fun.
    Until recently, I found I had very little success with other people's music. Except for "Gallows Pole" and a couple other Rock tunes, I concentrated on my own music. What does it say that more recently I figured out "Cherishing the Lonesome" followed up by Steely Dan's version of Duke Ellington's "East St. Louis Toodle-oo" (only one or two lines of melody repeat)?
    I love the beginning guitar of "Cherishing" because it's a descending interplay of minor thirds and majors, and its one of the few picking/lead parts I can play and sing along with. The way I play it...
    g14,17,14; g16,13,d14; g12,15,12; g14,d16,a17.
    (Once at beginning, repeat 4 times for first three and last verse)
    g16 pull-off to g14,d16,a17; (repeat once);
    g14 pull-off to g12,d14,a15; d12.
    Note: the guitarist uses seven consecutive semi-tones (g-flat through c). Since I'm not a professional musician, what key is that? (kidding)

I apologize I didn't keep this shorter, or stick to a more limited topic. I don't often participate with online forums, but finding more Roy last year after a long drought is of great interest to me (read my other posts on this my first day on the site, local time). Would especially love to hear from other amateur or professional creatives and will definitely try to respond with positive insight and inspiration to each. Thanks!

Jack C.

6. Tristanjay

Tristanjay I've got a zappy little nappy

for me a chord I do love and from the song that got me hooked -
    d-0
    a-0
    d-0
    g-2
    a-3
    d-0

From one man rock and roll band.

7. aspwatterson

Go to Podcast 3 for a wicked rendition on headphones!!

:m23:

andi

8. Tristanjay

Tristanjay I've got a zappy little nappy

thanks muchly andi downloading it .............now.

9. NoCelebrity

MAJOR Bluesy

I agree with CRITCH that it's the interplay between chords. Majors are powerful/blunt; Minors, Sevenths, blended/abbreviated(?) chords are curious and transitional in my mind. But try reversing these roles I(or)we attach to our music and find new forms of expression. :m23:

I love it when ROY finds forms of musical expression that mirror/accent and/or contrast the emotions of his lyrics.

I play mostly Majors, "open" chords (I cheat a lot!) and some Sevenths for accompaniment, which I usually play strumming with tricky rhythms and changes.

When I play lead I usually can't sing, I play by ear, and am sometimes surprised by the chords/key I am playing in. I wish I could figure out how to play ROY's classical guitar style. I can't quite figure out how to play two or more themes at once on the guitar (actually, I just can't do it. However, I can sing a separate theme while strumming tricky rhythms. :confused1:).

Anyone have any hints or ideas?

Recently favorite chords, standard tuning:
    E-O E-0
    A-7 A-7
    D-6 D-6
    G-7 G-7
    B-8 * B-5 *
    E-0 E-0
    :m3::driving:

10. aspwatterson

Embryonic Journey - Jefferson

Just located the TAB for this old fav of mine which I had totally forgotten about in the mists of times past. Anyone needs help to find it just PM me.

chrs
    andi :14::26::16:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  11. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

I'm not sure if this will help but I started learning guitar by using a book called "Tune a Day For Classical Guitar Book 2" , this book introduced me to the ideas of musical notation, arpeggios and the like but interestingly not chords as such (edit I just dug out the book and discovered that the last two pages are to do with chords :) ) but I got a chord book and sussed that out myself and I took it from there.

A friend wanted to perform Ralph Mactell's "Streets of London" at the schools folk club with him singing and playing a double bass and with me playing the guitar which I had started to learn a few weeks earlier. As we rehearsed I became frustrated with just strumming the chords (mostly as I hadn't found out how to strum very well that F major barr chord killed me!) and I tried to see if I could play it with arpeggios instead and found that it worked.

From there I started to buy a few more Classical guitar music books and found that tunes written by Scarlatti and Bach just worked beautifully. Funnily enough the reason why so many of Bach and Scarlatti's tunes were "easy" to play were that they used a lot of chord shapes which I had just started to get my head round. A friend of mine who had just at the time got her professional qualifications in music as a Viola player had never realised this simple fact until I mentioned it to her and showed her on the guitar how Bach's tunes most of the time used comminal garden chord shapes. She had always read the music in a linear form never as chords as she was playing an instrument that generally plays one note at a time (not all the time listen to some Paganni for the exception to the rule!)

With a grounding particularly in Bach (the Lute Suites are amazing) which weirdly you may think but seems completely natural if you have played some Bach led on to an interest in jazz guitar at the time Joe Pass but later also Wes Montgomery. Now I never really made much head way with jazz but it did give me the freedom to approach tunes that I know well and to improvise with them particularly the chords or two note combinations which Bach uses so much which funnily enough leads back to the arpeggios and the like.

Having said all that I still can't play Davey Graham's Anji all the way through and worst of all I can play a version of Roy's "Girl from the North Country" but I still haven't sussed how Roy plays it. I think I've got the chords but not what he is actually plucking out, but I am sure one day I will suss it fingers crossed :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  12. NoCelebrity

Thanks fuzzytnth3! Now if I only remember who you were and where you said it when my group Blues Guitar Class is over. Why don't you visit Winnetka and give me a demo in the meantime?

Love reading your POV learning guitar. My class has me practicing many new things and unusual chords, and more old things in new ways. It's all good. We probably sound good to most, but we secretly know how much we've yet to learn.

I took violin in third grade, like the viola you can only bow 1 or 2 strings together (but can't the greats pluck while bowing?) It's only impossible until you break it down or see someone else do it. Then it's practice, practice...

It took me two straight weeks to figure out Duke Ellington's "East St. Louis Toodle-oo" (after listening to Steely Dan's version for 30 years). I play it when I want to think I'm good.

13. aspwatterson

De North Country

Come on then man don't keep us in suspense! When can we listen to your version downloaded on here or otherwhere?

andi :confused1:

ps Can you sing? I sung my version at mum's funeral [she had long black hair and have got all these old pics of her dancing ballet/ Spanish]. Had to change two words [being in church] 'breast' to 'dress' and 'laid' to prayed'.

14. aspwatterson

Tab search Pod 19

Can't seem to find the tab/tuning for Forget me not on HQ. Any ideas anyone?

chrs
    andi :m14:

15. aspwatterson

Embyronic journey YT

[youtube]tCXm_1HIhzY[/youtube]

16. aspwatterson

Embyronic journey YT

[youtube]tCXm_1HIhzY[/youtube]

[youtube]OM2kAgLvhQM[/youtube]

17. aspwatterson

Open C tuning variation

[youtube]j-xDUw-olRY&NR[/youtube]

He forgets to tell you it's capoed up and which fret!

[youtube]XDyznSfTx2c[/youtube]

c/a

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  18. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Looks like the second fret to me just by counting back from the dot on the fretboard. Also you do catch a glimpse of his nut (ooo errr missus)

19. Joao Nunnes

Joao Nunnes I've got a zappy little nappy

Its Open D (DAGF#AD).

20. Joao Nunnes

Joao Nunnes I've got a zappy little nappy

It's Open D (DADF#AD)