1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite war songs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aspwatterson, Sep 23, 2012.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Thought maybe a new thread that may get something going on here without the all pervasive Facebook? Post your favourite wartime songs on here? At the going down of the sun...etc. etc..

[youtube]vsqCKzHIStc[/youtube]

[youtube]cH1NTWcAN1k[/youtube]

..universal soldier...masters of war...etc...etc..

Imagine Zappa may appear..don't know?

A:m2:

ps Lynpr harper hope u ok!!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. aspwatterson

Surprising stuff you find on a web search! BLOGS ABOUT ROY

http://projectcamelotportal.com/arc...kunena&func=view&catid=41&id=46897&Itemid=164

Eh!? John Peel died in Cusco and I'm going there in November!!!! Altitude not healthy for old unfit people like me maybe? More worried about other things down there actually [ even the tour guides warn you about drugs, drink,daring pickpockets, prostitutes etc.] < Basingstoke's a bit boring!> : but will be amazing to see the history I've been reading about for years. Will let you know if aliens did land @ Nazca, Easter Island, Galapagos; and you Royboy! No conspiracy theories in my head!

Albatross Andi

ps Ah well floods coming so don't have to put the washing out! That's an ironic oxymoron phps like me phps?

pps hey NoCeleb where do you live approx?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. Nigels

Nigels Computer stained fingers

No Man's Land - Eric Bogle

4. aspwatterson

Absolutely..

Absolutely hauntingly beautiful...how the guitars remain so sweetly in time and tune!

A:m11:

5. Alan Jones

Alan Jones I've got a zappy little nappy

The best seven songs about war (probably)

OK, Andy - the best two songs about war were written by Eric Bogle. They are "The Green Fields of France" and " The Band Played Waltzing Matilda". This is one of those rare cases where the cover version is better than the original. The version I know best of each song is the one by June Tabor - I can't listen to either song without being reduced to tears by the account of the pain and pointlessness of war (and my son wants to join the bloody army!). But I heard Eric Bogle's version on the radio (without realising itwas him) and thought "how can you make such a bloody brilliant song sound so bland?"

Number three - the astonishing "51st Highland Division's Farewell to Sicily", written by Hamish Henderson to a traditional pipe tune but as performed by Dick Gaughan.

Number four - "Sky Pilot" by Eric Burdon and the Animals - a seven minute psychedelic epic (complete with battlefield sound effects and pipe band) ranting against war and army chaplains.

Number five - "Shipbulding" by Elvis Costello and the Attractions. Great - war makes new jobs for the blokes who build the battleships - too bad that it's their sons who sail out to die in them.

Number six - "Don't you go" by John Martyn. Same sentiments as "Call up" by the Clash, but infinitely more subtle and beautiful.

Number seven - "Mailman" by John Martyn. Same sentiments as "Call Up" by the Clash, but ininitely less subtle - the song is about shooting dead the postie who brings the call-up papers!

And number eight - I've only ever heard it a couple of times, but it made an incredible impression on me - "Mercenaries, ready for war" by John Cale, an incredibly scary piece of music telling the war story from the point of view of the guys who want to go out there and kill whoever they are asked to kill, as long as they get paid well.

6. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

One from this year.... Banks of the Leopoldo Canal by The Deep Dark Woods (great album too)

7. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

I meant to type Leopold

8. aspwatterson

..next poll..

Next poll could be how many of us suffer from depression* etc!?

Or which political party you despise? No ticking the box 'All of them!' Think America's going thru an Obama moment also...

Or how many times have some of us actually attended a local cenotaph to remember the fallen ones? Probably about five times with me but on the TV every year when I've been in this country. I do remember them...

Andi

* compassion as a synonym