1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Festivals 2011

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Jun 19, 2011.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Anyone done/doing any festies this year?

I hate them, as you know. Camden Crawl was at least okay in that I could sleep in my own bed each night! But am going Summer Sundae, at least for the Sat and Sun - some of my favourite artists on!
    http://www.summersundae.com/lineup

May do Mosley Folk too, but have just been commissioned to cover a band's whole tour in a few months (mega excited at that!), so need to conserve energy, cash and alcohol intake. :wink:

2. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

Im just doing the usual, already done Bearded Theory(great weekend but blummin heck it was cold), Beautiful Days next.

Many may think me daft for doing the same festivals every year (BT3yrs and BD 6yrs) but for me a festival is not really about the music, its about spending time with my family without any outside stresses, we meet up with friends from real life and the internet at both fests and don't need the latest bands, its great fun every year finding new little acts and watching the small acts grow, develop and get their big gig on the main stage or big top(Hobos, Dan Donnelly).
    We found Beautiful Days(thanks to Nick) after a particularly traumatic few years and instantly it felt like coming home, the kids haven't wanted a conventional holiday since. This year after my daughter having to take time out of uni for medical reasons she has had no income(no loan/benefits/sick pay) for 6 months and has been living off her overdraft and savings which have now run out, she did mention she may have to sell her BDs ticket a few months ago :crying: but its like the elephant in the room, nobody dares ask if shes made a decision to come or not because we all know how much it means.

So yes I am doing two festivals but I think my experiences will be different to yours:biggrin:

3. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Beautiful Days is one of the happiest festivals I have ever been to - it made me smile, even in the rain :biggrin: And I have heard so many great things about Beardie (not just from you Jane!) that I will have to go someday... I have gotten past my original aversion to camping and have learned to really enjoy festivals. As long as they're not a corporate shizhole - I'm looking at YOU, T in the Park!

I'm hitting the Fringe hard this year - seeing more than I've seen in the past few years, between music and comedy, hey at least it's local and I can sleep in my own bed LOL. Between that and my long trip to Boston in the spring, there's not really any other festy in my future after Willowman today. But never say never...

4. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

This is the key for me, Ive heard good things about Alchemy too(no corporate).

The Sunday night rain last year was so funny, we all stayed out in it, when I got back to the van the kids had run ahead and they were all just wrapped in towels with a big pile of clothes under the awning.

5. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

If you haven't yet, feel free to laugh at my soggy pics on Facebook :D

6. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Is about the music for me, Jane! Good opp to get a taster of a handful of artists. Just been wading through listening to all 80 odd at Sundae (have to; work thing), bar McFly! But generally, hate the heat/rain and not being able to get away from people and noise.