1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Festive cock fifty 2010

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jim, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Jim

Jim Computer stained fingers

Stairway to heaven

Ah... but that was when you could vote for any song in the history of popular music - it got better when you could only vote for stuff released that year - the interesting thing is when you look at the festive 50 in 76 then 77 when punk comes in....

James

2. Jim

13th December UPDATE

Heating up really nicely:

the El Rose & Winstanley juries have just submitted theirs -

3 or 4 albums a long way ahead (ie 8+ votes each) lots on 2 or 3

Most people who usually vote have done - anyone else out there not voted yet? Come on you could sway it!

Jx

3. Jim

The X Factor

Massive influx of votes since yesterday

thanks!

This chart is looking very interesting now....

Anyone else - get 'em in - I think you will be surprised by the final chart...

ho ho It's just like the X factor but with intelligent music & intelligent voters

jx

4. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Jim - do you get any impression that people are giving you lists of what CD's they think were good in 2010 or are some just sending you a list of the CD's they bought in 2010 ... which unfortunately isn't always the same thing ... just off top of my head the new Joanna Newsom CD would be in the latter for me ... but certainly not in the former !!

5. Jim

buying or hearing

I think people are sending lists of cds they have heard - rather than own everyone - the whole idea of owning & buying music has changed - what with downloads, illegal downloads etc etc...

As I said earlier it would be strange to vote for an album if a) you haven't heard it or b) you didn't like it!

but you never know with some people...

james
    :m14:

6. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

For me, spotify has changed things quite a lot as well. I don't actually own a proper copy of Neil Young's latest, for example, but would feel perfectly justified in voting for it. Not that I'm saying that I did. Oh no, I can't confirm or deny that. :)

P.

7. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Oh yeah I agree with the fact that there are different ways of owning music ( legally or not ) ... it's just last year I seem to remember that some people posted their lists somewhere ( either on here or the email forum ) and they listed loads ( 30+ ) and I thought at the time, that they must have been very lucky to buy 30 CD's and enjoyed them all !!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  8. Jim

Careful great leader / Best £5 I ever spent

No hinting at what you voted for! Or your votes will become invalid :angry:
    (cf Rule 13b Sub-section 56 'Even our great leader is not allowed to hint at what he has voted for - as he has so much power and influence over the pleb cockers....' etc etc)

I have just taken the plunge & bought non-ad Spotify for £5 a month & I hardly listen to anything else now as I at last have my laptop linked to my hifi- the ads (& their loudness) did drive me mad - now I just think 'what album should I play?' and 99/100 they have which will do me. I could therefore vote for 30 or 40 albums from 2010 that I have heard. I won't of course, but I could. Interestingly (and I think I may have said this before) most albums I play on Spotify are LPs that I used to have on vinyl & never upgraded to cd & have been lost or are scratched over the years. It's real indulgence to hear them again - every one full of memories eg last night BJH 'Everyone is everybody else' & 10cc 'How dare you'

Ho ho ho mid-70s arty pop rules! :m14: