1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Festive Cock Fifty 2012

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jim, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Computer stained fingers

Well it is nearly December so time for the Festive Cock 50...

Did you know that this is the sixth annual chart?

It all started way back in 2007 when I was still IN MY THIRTIES! We didn't quite make a top 50 that year but we managed a top 30. Out of interest the top ten back in those olden days was:

10. Robert Wyatt - Comic opera
    8= Linda Thompson - Versatile Heart
    8= Joni Mitchell - Shine
    7. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
    5= Martin Simpson - Prodigal Son
    5= The National - Boxer
    4. Roy Harper - (Remastered Version) Stormcock
    3. Richard Thompson - Sweet Warrior
    2. Plant/Krauss - 'Raising Sand'
    1. Nick Harper - Miracles for Beginners

And it's sort of gone from there. I make lots of mistakes but luckily the eagle-eyed chart police always spot them... I know I always say it but this year has been another brilliant one for new music. I didn't go to Green Man for a change but went to End of The Road instead. Lots of great stuff there, including Roy himself & J Wilson. Anyhow I love compiling the chart and the music I didn't know was out there. I rarely buy albums now but as a Spotify Subscriber (seriously the best £5 perm month you could ever pay) I get to listen to more than ever. Much of my listening is influenced by what is in the Stormcock members' chart - because we do have incredible taste. Even if we say so ourselves...

These are the rules:

Any album released in any format in 2012 can be included.

This DOES include reissues.

You send me your top 20 or top 10 or top 7 or top 3 or whatever of the year. You do not have to have bought it - it might be a Spotify job - but you should have at least listened to it a few times or why would you vote for it? I write your votes down in my large cock book (!) I add up all the votes & work out the top 50ish. Published on the mailing list on 31st December. Usually an album will need 2 or 3 votes to get into the bottom of the charts. Last year the lovely Kate got 40 or something to get to number one. I think that is the most any cd has ever got in the entire history of the chart. The best thing is that it starts a conversation. We all get to chat about what people are voting for & we get to listen to stuff we had never thought of listening to. Lots of people email me to say that the chart really affects what they listen to throughout the year. We haven't all got the same taste - but we are certainly not a dull lot. And we all have a love of interesting music... As I always say - I promise you our communal taste is damn good.

SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE 28th DECEMBER 2012 (allowing for
    Xmas present last minute votes)

CHART ANNOUNCED 31st DECEMBER 2012

we all live happily ever after & the world is a better place etc

please email me your votes on jfel2@yahoo.co.uk

Looking forward to it - particularly PD's obscure prog votes that never get in the chart....

Thanks

James

2. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Well me being cynical, would say that someone could say a CD/Band is brilliant, because it's their job to promote them (!) ... but surely non of that sillyness would occur on here ?!?

3. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Never... :D

I'm having a hard time thinking of fave albums released 2012 - rediscovered lots of older stuff this year! Must go away and think hard about this. Also, three albums I thought were coming out this year (Nick, Pictish Trail, Kid Canaveral) aren't out til 2013... there's next year's chart sorted LOL.

4. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'd like to hope that none of those 3 will make it to this forum's #1 slot next year .... because Roy's new CD will be at the top of the charts !!

5. scotpaulabear

There's a point :biggrin:

6. Jim

I'd love to think that our little chart had any influence like that!

I'm up for people being as cynical as they want to be. Bribes accepted etc etc I'm not proud!

J

7. scotpaulabear

:rofl:
    Will keep that in mind :D

8. Jim

The Official Chart

Well here it is. Just 34 albums made the cut and the top 9 are probably quite predictable but lower down there is some excellent and unusual stuff worth a google. Pleasing that the vast majority of albums are new this year – just one re-issue in the top 9 (wonder what that could be??) Music is still alive! Thanks for all your kind comments, emails and conversations and best wishes for the New Year: 2013... what could possibly go wrong? Hope to catch up with some of you at some stage, love James x

Festive Cock 50 (well 34 really) 2012

#17= Anais Mitchell - Young Man In America
    Grizzly Bear – Shields
    Muse - The 2nd Layer
    Lau - Race the Loser
    Patti Smith – Banga
    Sharon Van Etten – Tramp
    Roy Harper - Live in Concert at Metropolis Studio
    Simone Felice - Simon Felice
    Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited 2
    Comus - Out of the Coma
    Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Big Moon Ritual
    Kate Rusby – 20
    Bob Dylan – Tempest
    Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
    Led Zeppelin – Celebration Day
    Peter Hammill – Consequences
    The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
    Martyn Joseph - Songs For The Coming Home

#16 Mumford & Sons - Babel

#15 Alt-J (∆) - An Awesome Wave

#10= Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge
    Lana Del Rey – Born To Die
    King Crimson – Larks Tongues in Aspic (40th Anniversary edition)
    Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (reissue)
    Dexys - One Day I'm Going To Soar

#6= Alabama Shakes - Boys and Girls
    Neil Young - Americana
    Show of Hands - Wake The Union
    The XX – Coexist

#4= Leonard Cohen – Old Ideas
    Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball

#3 First Aid Kit: The Lion's Roar

#2 Roy Harper – HQ (re-mastered)

#1 Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Psychedelic Pill

:m2: