1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gig Songs...

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by critch, Feb 24, 2008.

1. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I wondered if anyone else like me goes to Nick gigs (or Roy, but I can't comment on this as I know nothing... My bad...) hoping to hear certain songs?

If I'm honest, I have heard the odd song from Nick which has touched me. Met me deep within my soul and shook it. Songs which live take you to another place. Take you to the happy, to the sad, or even to the complacency which plagues us all. He has these songs, and unlike most he can perform them and take you to these places with him.

So when I came to pick requests, I was surprised that I struggled. Not for shortage, but for too many. So many of his songs send shivers down my spine. So many mean more to me than any painting or poem can say. They are a transporter of feelings, emotions, and tears through the generations. I've always had a soft spot for music, but Nick has really pushed the boundaries of even that for emotional conduit;

So with this in mind, I would like to request:

Blood Song, Cd version is great, but live is fantastic.
    Bloom, The DVD version of this sounds almost identical to the CD. This is superb, no other artist, and I really mean that, can get into the soul of a piece like this.
    Headless/Love is Music, This is just Nick, this is what I tell people about, and they just don't believe.
    Until they put me in the Ground, Heard this once at Carlise Brickyard. Wow. Never heard it before and the live version just turned me into a little pile of goo. Such emotion, such grace, such eloquence. I don't need to say any more.
    Real Life, If you haven't heard it live, then go online and look up the Manchester TV version uploaded by Dim ( I think) It's sublime and touching in a way you could never have imagined. And use a good pair of headphones cause if you don't, you're missing out on more than you can imagine.

And many others...

2. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

Seeing Bloom live completely blew me away, on par with seeing Nick for the first time. He showed such incredible emotion while singing it that it completely made the song for me. It's been requested a couple of times at gigs I've been to recently and both times Nick said that he'd "forgotten it". I wonder if he means that he's not in the sort of place where he can deliver it so effectively any more? It looked and sounded like genuine pain and anger to me when he performed it - not the sort of thing that you can just put on and not the sort of thing that he'd necessarily like to revisit.

I'd like to see In Our Time live. Can't remember if I have done or not. Before They Put Me in the Ground is another one. Not had The Verse Time Forgot at recent gigs but his later live renditions seemed to be getting more forceful, which didn't necessarily suit the song.

I love Headless, either on its own or as part of Love is Music. Kind of miss Crazy Boy too.

3. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Before They...yes, yes, one of my very favouritist ones and which I constantly bang onto him about to do. Last heard by me, I think, at Gloucester. Where he did another killer, Vampire Song as well, and I was in tears!

In Our Time...know I heard at Hotel Deux, Dec 05, but can't recall since?

Currently haunting me is the new 38. I sat spellbound through that at Brighton.