1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guess...

Discussion in 'Anecdotes' started by HarperPR, Nov 29, 2008.

1. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Greggs ?!? Good old pasties and pies ?!?

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Chris...? You know what I'm going to say, don't you? That is the wr...RIGHT answer!!! And you have won tonight's star prize: a custard slice and a barm cake!:biggrin:

Yes, there are apparently over 1000 of Greggs the baker shops. Is there one in the Wyck?

3. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

It's a little odd that answer for me as I have a bakers up the road from me! If it'd been a Greggs I might have guessed that, but no, it had to be a pimbletts!

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Baker's dozen too many...

There's two Greggs in Basingstoke.

Perhaps it's BOGOF 'buy one get one free' of their horrible pasties/pies?
    Mind you the sarnies taste better if you eat them whilst in the queue!
    And paying for them!

chrs
    andi

5. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Yes I believe there is ... though I've never been to it ... I always end up at the Subway ( don't understand Pete C's comment ... I swear by them !! ) ... I just thought it might be Greggs ... as I saw Patrick McGuinness last week ... and a lot of his show is Greggs based ... so their name got stuck in my head ... I hope he gets paid more for advertising to a paid up audience ( though actually ... we were on the guest list and didn't actually pay ! ).

6. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Never seen a Greggs in my life.

Now, Harry Gregg, that's different.
    He was a goalkeeper for Manchester United before they became carp and called themselves Man U so that ignorant people who can't deal with words of more than one syllable could know who you meant.

:leaving:

7. critch

And no sooner do I write this and I discover that pimbletts has gone bust and been bought out, possibly by waterfields!

8. HarperPR

Do you know St Mary's Arcade, Bridge Street and Higher Parr Street? Listings for a Greggs in all!:) Seems even in these hard times we're not going to stop eating cake! Maybe they're the place to get a job: can you survey a Bakewell tart?!:biggrin:

9. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Greggs are very big in the Northwest, there are 3 in Preston City centre! The SteakBake is my usual choice. :biggrin:

10. critch

Oh aye, I know all those Greggs! I'm sure I could survey a bakewell tart - you can survey pretty much anything you want, although I'm not entirely convinced what they'd want me to do with it afterwards. And in regards to eating cake. I'm sure it was in the french revolution that when they ran out of bread they moved on to cake....is that right or have I got my facts confuzzled????? :)

P.S. Is your business a bit slack too considering you've time to google greggs in St H? lol.

11. HarperPR

Mais oui, Marie Antoinette. But it may be more to do with the translation as it is disputed whether she actually did say exactly that.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/550/did-marie-antoinette-really-say-let-them-eat-cake

12. HarperPR

:biggrin: I'm their PR, dontcha know! Do you think I should contact them, for a laugh? They could do with a bit of an image (and sandwich) makeover. And I could get everyone here to be mystery shoppers!

13. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

14. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy