1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy New Year

Discussion in 'General' started by pd, Jan 5, 2010.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I just wanted to wish everyone a happy 2010. In fact I meant to post a "end of 2009" thing when James did his festive cock roundup but failed :)

I've been rather busy over the holiday period, with a prolonged visit from my wife's mother who is hard work at the best of times (she never stops talking, and is never wrong about anything ...) but is now suffering from Alzheimers which has meant many repeated conversations and some very sad events. On xmas day she really didn't know it was the 25th of December then got very distressed that she hadn't bought anyone any presents. The doctors should be putting her on some of the "new" medication this month, following some heart tests (she has a pacemaker and some of the new stuff does have some side effects in that area) but practically speaking I don't think we will be in the same position next xmas, so this was probably the last one with her as a mostly-aware person. I'm sure a lot of you have been through this with other family members (as indeed I did with my stepfather a few years ago), and know what it's like. Vicky (my wife) and I had a well-deserved rest after all that for a few days last week but it's back to the grind now.

Again on a personal level, I took on a "proper" job last year and started there on October 1st. It's been going fine so far but the first few weeks in a new role are always rather demanding. The company concerned have been my main consulting client for a while now and it was a natural step (given they were in the process of axing most contractors, so it was one of those offers you can't refuse....). I am continuing with some "on the side" consulting work for a handful of people so life is rather busy.

On the Harper front, I have, as previously announced, relaxed the podcast schedule as life is so busy, and also because there isn't too much to report and I am running out of people to interview (please contact me if you are interested in being interviewed or can reach someone that would be). That said, I have the excellent part 2 of Marko's interview ready and some other bits and pieces, including a voicemail, so I will get that out later in January. I have also been working on something else RH-related, for a long time now, that is nearing fruition and I am looking forward to talking about that when the time comes too :)

Like many of you I really miss seeing Roy play live, and realise just how lucky I was in the 80s and 90s when there were so many gigs, and so much variety in what Roy played. We have some Nick gigs coming up in 2010 and a new album, which is excellent news. He's also agreed to come back and talk on the podcast so I'll try to get that set up to talk about the new material sometime later this year. Fingers crossed that his Dad gets some music out at some point too!

All the best for 2010, may it be better than 2009 on the "Arrogance, Ignorance and Greed" front (and Show of Hands should have made #1!).

Paul.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Happy New Year to you as well. I'm there on the Dementia front too, there are times when one has to laugh, others which are sadder. I find it rather fascinating, to a degree, though not at 3 in the morning when I'm being given cups of tea to wake me up and to 'get on with the day'. I should collect the stories and events on paper at some point, you couldn't make up some of the things that happen!

Be Well... Stephen

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Ditty dittos..

Belatedly!

chrs
    andi

4. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Best wishes to you, Paul, and Happy New Year back at you! I'm sure everyone would love more podcasts, but we understand. Perhaps one of your next could be a theme-linked with commentaries from forum regulars (also small, large, and IRREGULAR) who otherwise think they might be boring or repetitive in the 80 minute format.

If you want someone to gush praise for the incredible artistic contribution Roy has made (and we all expect him to continue!) I will certainly volunteer my bit, but haven't I said it all at least TWICE on the forum?

Or perhaps a brash podcast strategizing a coordinated blitz of the media from ROY's fans around the world? Or are we all too mellow?

5. wessexy witch

wessexy witch I've got a zappy little nappy

Happy New Year everyone.

I hope this year brings everyone happiness.

:)

6. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Adding a belated "me too"...

Happy new year, and I hope 2010 is a great year for all you Stormcockers!
    (and thank feck 2009 is over :blink: )