1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Nick ever been known to...

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Sep 7, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

use another guitar, other than his own, in a live performance?

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

No way!

I wouldn't let him near my fretboard! He breaks too many strings!

andi :wink:

3. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Saw him use a borrowed guitar once playing with other musicians in Edinburgh, but not on stage, and he didn't want to mess with the tuning so it wasn't quite as fun for him I suspect :wink:

4. HarperPR

Okay. But if he hasn't before...he has now!:D

Story and photo evidence tomorrow - though I'm sure YouTube will no doubt come up with a moving image as it usually seems to!

5. scotpaulabear

6. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Sounds like a good gig. So did he play the same sort of stuff? I'm intrigued. Pray tell all.

7. scotpaulabear

If you're asking about Derby, he made it through a few songs of his own set with the acoustic but it kept detuning and going all fecked, so he had to use the electric for The Tyger. It was... different! With a few rock god poses thrown in! :D He gave up his own set after that if I remember, and I'm pretty sure he played the electric for all of Roy's set (fairly subtly!). It's amazing how the memory goes after a few years innit :blushing:

Another review here:
    http://www.houseofharper.co.uk/derbyrev1002.htm

8. critch

nick does have a lot of trouble with guitars sliding out of tune. I would have liked to have seen that gig. It was with roy then as well? Sounds good.

9. scotpaulabear

Yup, Nick doing an opening set then playing with Roy for his whole set. I saw that gig and Wolverhampton the night before and thought they were fab - and apparently they played a lot of songs they don't normally play onstage together... Look up the '2002 tour with Roy Harper' section of this - there are setlists on some of them I'm pretty sure:
    http://www.houseofharper.co.uk/reviewsmain.htm

(wonder if I can get an EU grant to catch up my website and only work part time :D )

10. critch

incidentaly, that should be the name of nick's next tour. "nick harper's last guitar standing tour." :)

11. HarperPR

Trying now to put review and pix on Boscombe thread (trying being the operative word!):angry:

12. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Guitar trouble

I bought an acoustic Stagg a copule of years ago and the machine-heads are nearly worn out already. Even though I do a lot of detuning it has never happened on any other guitar in the past. They must have used really rubbish soft metal on the cogs and it would I'd imagine be almost impossible to predict at the time of purchase? Luckily it's not too expensive to replace them for £10 - £20 but is slightly irritating.

Rant over.....

andi :m17::m21:

13. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Tuning Out?

I seem to remember high praise for the Harper's re-stringers. Just in case...
    I hope they consider "obvious" possible causes like HUMIDITY changes, playing on new strings that haven't been stretched and broken in, and INTONATION (which isn't easily fixable on ACOUSTICS).

For those who can't remember though, Increased Humidity raises Pitch, drier air flattens pitch. TAYLOR guitars builds instruments in a controlled 47% humidity (and constant temp) environment.

I sure you all know all this... My tuning knobs never seem to be the prob.

14. critch

I know nothing! I merely observe!