1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hell from sunny wigan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by porlock, Jan 10, 2010.

1. porlock

porlock Guest

Hi everyone im new to the forum but have been listening to the podcasts for a while now , and very entertaining they are ( thanx Mr Davison ) , glad to see Nicks got the spring tour in the bag , look forward to see him at the usual venues ( manchester , chester and maybe Huddersfield , ) ,

I will try and avoid Liverpool though , as i have a bit of a problem with seeing him there (and indeed Roy before him ) . Is it just me or are the gigs spoiled somewhat by the talkers and the shouters in scouse land . point of fact i went to the Birkenhead gig in Dec and had a table next to me that were more interested in their own conversation , through the ENTIRE gig , or maybe im just being scousist (haha )

Anyway i note with interest an artist with the name of Andy Roberts mentioned on this forum , is that the same guy who supported Roy a few years back , when Nick broke a fetlock , and i also have seen a mention of Nicks new album on one of the posts , but cant find anything about it in Harperspace , does anyone have any info theyd like to share

Anyway cheerio for now .... :m17:

2. philmch

philmch I've got a zappy little nappy

Birken'ead

First of all, I'm from Birkenhead, I was at the last Nick gig at Pacific Rd, and I agree with you. However, Birkonians are not Scousers. One has to be born in Liverpool to be a Scouser. To the outsider, our accents are alike but there are subtle differences. Remember; Liverpool is a city in the county of Lancashire, Birkenhead is a town in the county of Cheshire. The two are divided by the Mersey Estuary.

Pedantically. Phil.:wink:

3. porlock

porlock Guest

Hi Phil ,, thanx for your reply it made me smile ..
    First of all im glad you agree with me ( at least that proves to myself that im not being scousist )..but you cant for one second claim that anyone can differentiate between the accents of people from Liverpool and Birkenhead (unless you from either of those places of course ) and im sure that a large part of the audience were from Liverpool and the surrounding areas ( cant see Nick having such a large following just in Birkenhead )
    I am not for one minute suggesting that all scousers almost ruin the gig every time ive seen Nick or Roy in Merseyside , but there is a larger than normal proportion of the audience who seem to delight at shouting and heckling at every oppurtunity and worse than that talking through the entire gig . I dont know why this occurs in merseyside ( even st Helens this has happened ) but i have seen time and time again that it does . Now i do like a bit of heckling etc ( it does add to the fun of the evening , but when it goes to far it detracts from it ).
    I have seen Roy lose is temper on more than one occassion with the audience , were Nick tends to simmer more .
    I have seen them both in many places and this is a phenomenon curious only to the inhabitants of merseyside . In my opinion the best venue to see Nick is the Manchester academy were the sound and lighting is just superb , I wonder if anyone else agrees . Anyway cheery by for now . Paulhttp://www.stormcock.net/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

4. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi Paul, whereabouts in Wigan are you? I know the town well.

I too agree with you about gigs in Liverpool, and have discussed it with Linn (Nick's PR) on here in the past. At the last St Helens Citadel gig I asked Nick what he thought about the noisy atmosphere at Liverpool gigs, he said he really didn't mind, and that people were entitled to enjoy themselves in whatever way they think fit. I think he's being very charitable as it must affect his ability to concentrate.

I've seen Nick a good few times in Liverpool, although I should admit that one of those occasions most of the heckling was being done by a member of our own party, who had got a bit, erm, out of control... and he was shipped in from North Lancashire.

Also like yourself, I have seen Roy a few times in Liverpool, his gigs at The Bluecoat Chambers way back in the 80s were particularly marred by shameful behaviour by a few fans, as Dave W will no doubt testify if he reads this thread (he was part of the team that staged these gigs and the St Helens Tech gigs around the same period)

I also agree that the Manc Academy is a great place to see Nick play, unfortunately he's not playing there on this tour! I haven't been to Moho live yet but I'm sure it's just as good if not better, and it does allow him to keep ticket prices down (though they've never been unreasonable)

So... I dunno. There is definitely a rowdy element to Nick's gigs in Liverpool, I'm sure it's just their natural exuberance, which Nick has alluded to in a positive way over the years, I think he really does enjoy playing there, and the fact that they feel an affinity because he supports their dodgy football team. ******JOKE*******

All the best
    Pete

5. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'm not the expert, but It's my understanding that this is the Andy Roberts who has performed with Roy. We had a heated argument on this site over the value (and definition) of Capitalism (which I always try to postulate as one extreme and Free Enterprise as the opposite and democratic extreme); and government intervention, and public health care/insurance.

Andy is a great talent, a good human being, and I value his HONEST debate.

6. porlock

porlock Guest

Hi Phil , thanx for your reply

I live in ashton in makerfield , which is not strictly in the heart of wigan but near as dammit , were are you from
    Glad to see its not just me who has this opinion ( better not dwell on it to long eh )
    I didnt realise Nick wasnt playing at the Academy ,this tour , you always assume thats going to be a stop off . I must say i hadnt heard of the Moho venue until you mentioned it . Im glad up that you have though . Just checked out the website and there are some great gigs coming up , ( hed pe and hayseed dixie to name but 2 ) . i do like visiting new venues and especially like the smaller ones . Have you ever visited the Roadhouse ( as far as i can tell by the map its just round the corner from Moho ) . Its in a dingy cellar , but my does it rock . ( just seen Senser and Orange Goblin there and they were 2 of the best gigs of the year )

cheerio >Paul http://www.stormcock.net/vb/images/icons/icon10.gif

7. porlock

porlock Guest

Andy roberts

hi re: Andy Roberts .

Thanx for your comments about Andy Roberts , but im not sure it is the same guy that supported Roy , I have just checked out his song `the rowan tree` i think it was called and it doesnt sound like the same guy ( very good though it is ) . I do have a couple of Plainsong albums and Andy Roberts best of and unless im mistaken or unless hes altered his vocal style considerably they are different people . If anybody knows any better please feel free to correct me .

Thanx .Paul http://www.stormcock.net/vb/images/smilies/music/18.gif

8. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

The Andy Roberts that posts here occasionally and did The Rowan Tree isn't the one that played with Roy. The Andy Roberts that was in Plainsong is the one that played with Roy.

9. porlock

porlock Guest

10. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Hello Paul

Just a query as it makes me smile each time I see it. Did you miss the o in hello, or was it a sideways swipe at the hell that is Wigan?!

11. porlock

porlock Guest

hell or hello from wigan ?

haha .. i did miss off the o , but i noticed when i posted , but thought id leave it as it seems appropiate about , (a) the liverpool gigs , (b) the weather and yes (c) living in Wigan

12. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

I wondered that too Linn. Wigan's not that bad.
    I live in Golborne by the way Paul. Did you have some stuff on ebay a while ago?

Pete

13. porlock

porlock Guest

hi Pete , yeah I know Wigans not that bad , and your only round the corner from me (i used to play rugby for golborne parkside). I was just messing . yeah ive always got bits of stuff on ebay , in fact ive a few Harper cds on now . what was i selling when you saw it .

14. webbyla

webbyla Computer stained fingers

Re: Birkenhead vs Liverpool - I think Tranmere Rovers have the final word on the issue with their song ...

Don’t be mistaken,
    Don’t be misled,
    We are not Scousers ,
    We’re from Birkenhead,
    You can **** your cathedral,
    And your pier head,
    Cos we are not Scousers,
    We're from Birkenhead…

(pier head is a dock on the Lpool side of the Mersey)

I can imagine Nick being more forgiving to Liverpool fans given his misguided red fetish. I remember the Roy gig in Liverpool (Neptune theatre?) when Andy Roberts replaced Nick after he had broken his arm. Roy came out at the start and said "Nick sends his apologies for not being here - well to the red half of the city anyway". Crazy boy ........

15. porlock

porlock Guest

haha .. good point well put ,they/you still sound the same to me .....seeya

16. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

*chortle* :D

17. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Ah don't know whay I completely missed this thread !! Anyway a belated welcome Porlock !!

I used to agree with you ( & have mentioned many times on this forum and the "old" email forum ) about the atmosphere at harper gigs in and around Liverpool ... how I "vaguely" remember loads of Southport gigs being ruined by travelling "scousers" ( or at least people who sounded like scousers to me ), so much so that I decided to boycott any harper gig in the area ... which wasn't that much of a big deal, as I used to ( used to ? ) go all over the county watching them ... so stopping one area was easy enough.

This boycott lasted for 12 years .... and probably would have lasted longer, if it was not for Nick playing in the Tunnels in Liverpool. This was such a strange venue, that I had to break the boycott ... but I was thinking just for that one gig !!

But since my boycott started, I have made some very good friends ( via harper gigs down south and Ireland ) from Liverpool and Birkenhead and these friends made the Tunnels gig ( & the other Nick gigs in Merseyside since then ) excellent for me .... yes there is a lot of talking, drinking, laughing ( & yes probably coming from some of my friends ) but IMHO it just adds to the atmosphere of Nick gigs ( if Roy ever played again ... then that would be a different kettle of fish ). Nick plays enough venues up and down the county, that if you want a quiet gig ... then choose accordingly. I would never dream of going to a Nick gig in Merseyside ... sober and expecting a quiet gig where all the audience will shup up for the start of the Kilty Stone .. it just won't happen. My advice, is to drink up and join in !!

As for the gigs at the Manchester Academy ... I agree totally that these gigs have always been highlights of the tours ... for sound quality and of course the excellent light shows !! But these gigs have also been spoiled by noisy audiences in the past ( or really just the odd one or two spaced out "scousers" )... but at least on those occasions, the sound guys have been able to crank up the volume !!

I too am interested why he has changed venues in Manchester ... so much so, that if he was playing the acedemy on a Thursday ( "school night" ) ... I wouldn't make the 240 mile trip ( High Wycombe -> mates in Preston -> Manchester ) to the gig ... but now I'm intrigued about this new venue .... so I'll see you there !!

18. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I'll be going to this one too Chris, it's only 40 minutes away for me,

See you there..