1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by daveclarke292, May 18, 2011.

1. daveclarke292

daveclarke292 I've got a zappy little nappy

I found this forum whilst searching for the tab for Nick's Riverside online - didn't realise there was somewhere like this for Harper fans to hang out!
    Saw Nick at the Greystones in Sheffield last month, the first time for a while and he was brilliant (but didn't play Riverside).
    Does anyone out there have a copy of the tab for this song, which I've been trying to play for some time....there was thread on her back in 2008 with the tab as a zip file, but I can't seem to open the darn thing.
    Look forward to making friends with everyone....

Dave Clarke

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

If..

If you email me your email addy then I can forward if not infringing copyrite..
    aspwatterson@hotmail.com.

Be prepared to break strings coz the open tuning is DGBGGG ! Or CFAFFF? Depending on your guitar capability I suppose. Wonder how many strings Nick breaks per year? I would estimate about 500?

Andi

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Welcome Dave,
    Andy, just a question, sorry to jump in on this thread by the way Dave, as a novice guitar player I usually just use the standard tuning. however I thought I'd be a little adventurous and tune to DADGAD as everyone says how good it is, anyway I proceeded to tune the very first string to D and it snapped, I just couldn't get the electric tuner to pick it up, what am I doing wrong? Maybe you should start a new thread for a guitar clinic for such questions, for beginners like myself and advanced players, best strings to use, how to perform alternate tunings etc.etc. or maybe there is and I haven't noticed it, I might just learn a thing or two.. :m8:

Cheers!

4. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Jumping in, and no expert, but if tuning to DADGAD (which is wonderful tuning, proper one finger stuff) surely you'd be tuning first string down, not up, so by rights reducing the tension not the other way? It really is a case of small turns first. Leave the fancy banjo peg tuning-mid-song to Nick!

Can't remember much about my electronic tuner cos really haven't played for a few years, after my playing advanced from "rubbish" to "pretty rubbish" but as I recall I had three settings - one for standard tuning, one I can't remember and one for tuning to anything you liked. If you chose the last setting you had more flexibility to tune from E to D easily. Turning the tuning down the frequency was picked up, and when you get into the right zone it would detect D# first, and you could fine tune from there into D. Tuning back to standard E was where you had to be careful - overtightening obviously being something to be aware of.

The quality of strings and how well you maintain them (keep covered with a cloth when not playing or in a guitar case, wipe down after playing etc) makes a difference too to how responsive they are to a tuner. Also, use a guitar lead if semi-acoustic, or electric, to the tuner for a really good result.

5. aspwatterson

Reply..

Sorry Shaun only just read this mssg.

Basically every time you change the tuning down or up, you are stretching the metal / nylon filaments/atomic bonds in the strings; and as in any tension held physicality in this known Universe, there is eventually a finite finality of reaching an obsolescence/ coalescence point. Stars eat stars. Singularity man..... going into another singularity maybe.

Sorry drifted off there. Am watching Legends DVD whilst typing this! Far across the Universe the goblins....etc...the ghost of the planet moves through the night into the winter, travelling light...etc

Lot of strings break at the bridge/nut where they are eroded by the moving contact if you keep changing the tunings. Although, I would imagine Nick breaks more strings because of the way he bashes the strings, with or without a plectrum.Compare how often he breaks a string compared to Roy.

Also depends how old the strings, how often played / looked after, and the condition of them. If they break whilst tuning down then it's usually a good sign that they need changing, and if you spend a few extra quid for superior quality, I am sure you'll hear a profound difference in the resonance/tonality. Nick talks about what strings he uses elsewhere I think.

Obviously thinner strings break more than thick bass ones and I presume it was the treble E -> D that broke. If it was the bass D then you definitely need to get a new set of strings.

On a twelve string the thinnest is the high G [octave above normal G] and the one that breaks more often, and I presume Riverside's string set up is a clever arrangement of different thicknesses of strings which can cope with such extremities. I just wish he'd play it more often live, but completely understand that it's probably best in a studio because of the fragility of the strings. Didn't someone say he played it live recently on a twelve string? Would love to see a youtube/vid of that.:m8:

Cheers for noodles, probably see you in November mate. Avebury's looking good if you can make it.

Andi :m14: in DVD heaven!

6. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

If you get a lot of string breaks at the nut when you are retuning from DADGAD etc you can lubricate the slots in the nut so the string slides more smoothly. There are ones you can buy (Nut Sauce is a name that rings a bell) but just as good is a bit of graphite from a soft pencil - just sharpen it then 'draw' some graphite into the slot.

7. aspwatterson

Yes and...

Yes agreed, and also I forgot to say that if your bridge may have a sharp edge to it and cutting into the string it can be filed down or get a new one for £1. Bridges erode as well with the tension/pressure/movement like a knife. So always look at where the string broke and it's give you a clue as to where the weakness lies. Sometimes you just get a set of bad strings though. Had one last month where it unravelled at the ball end! Sweaty hands and residual deposits of pinches of salt are also bad for strings and fretboards if left unattended.

Andi

8. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Cheers for the advice, sounds like new strings then!

9. Roydan

Roydan Computer stained fingers

Yeh, sound advice, I'm prone to regular string breakage especially on one guitar. I changed strings to a cheaper set on advice from a friend and that has improved things alot, taking the advice here may reduce it even more. Thanks.