1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tench, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Tench

Tench I've got a zappy little nappy

I feel a little late to the party I've only just started listening Roy Harper having heard The green man on the Mike Harding show, Later with Jool's and somehow managing to stumble on Paul's podcast so now I'm a journey of discovery some way behind but looking forward, having downloaded all of Paul's podcasts and maybe getting a little insight into the man and his music any help on what might be a good start album wise would be much appreciated

2. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Welcome Tench, maybe Stormcock, HQ, Bullinamingvase, Folkjokeopus.. any of these are a good starting point for someone listening to a Roy Harper album for the first time.

3. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Hi Tench, I would add 'Whatever Happened to... Jugula' to that list, maybe even 'Born in Captivity'. What do you listen to now? Acoustic or electric, any preferences? :D

4. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

No wrong answer!

I was hooked for 25 years just by listening to HQ and Valentine.

Imagine how surprised I was those albums would barely scratch the surface!

I think Stormcock gets the most "recommends." People also recommend Lifemask, more recently Once, and early efforts Sophisticated Beggar and Flat Baroque and Berserk.

The live DVDs "Beyond The Door" and "Legends" are also a great idea. (Both have The Green Man).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. Tench

Thanks guys I've been going through pd's podcasts only listened to episode 33 which first got me hooked been slowly going through them from the start at episode 5 at the moment. Being a budding acoustic guitar player myself (did my first open mic nite a couple of weeks ago at the folk club) I guess I tend to lean that way listened to One Man Rock n`Roll Band this morning on way to work after it had finished just wanted to blow off work get back home under the bed covers with my ipod most tempted to download the Stormcock album but I`ll wait to order the album off Roy's site so I know the money goes to the man himself. I'm hoping it will be a good start it seems to get mentioned quite a lot. I can't believe that Roy's gone under my radar I guess I've just been listening to current/new folk but the guy as just blown me away once again thanks your wisdom is most appreciated

Tench

6. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Flat Baroque!

Flat Baroque!

Flat Baroque!

That was the first one I ever got and looking at it now in context I think it's a nice bridge between the earlier more ramshackle stuff and the more earnest/"mature" stuff on Stormcock/Lifemask and onwards. It's a turning point.

Much as I love 'Stormcock', it might be a bit full-on for a first ever album to listen to. Build up to that one! You could even go chronologically... start with 'Beggar' and work your way through.

Good luck,
    +A

7. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

If you're starting on the Harper journey, then you will without a doubt, be visiting all his albums, once I got into Roy in the early eighties, then I made it my mission to seek out and listen to all the material I could physically get hold of. I'm still doing that, now in the form of live shows, which enable me to listen to unique one offs, and improvised tracks from the albums. This hobby/quest has also extended to collecting hundreds of Zappa & Floyd shows..

Enjoy the journey.

(I need more shows!) :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
  8. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Hi Tench

I always get really pleased when I hear that the podcast is doing its job: not just preaching to the converted, as it were. Welcome!

All good recommendations. I think "Flat Baroque" is a great choice too unless you're a prog rock fan in which case leap straight into the wonderment of Stormcock. If you want a more electric rock sound you can't go wrong with HQ.

Paul.

9. Tench

Again thanks for advice guys been on Roy's web site went for the Flat Baroque can hardly wait for it to come through the post. really looking forward to actually receiving a CD in a jewel case with art work instead just going for my normal way of getting the album downloaded Been slowly going through the excellent podcast Paul a real insight into the man and his music

Tench