1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highway Blues

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by dmorseav, Apr 24, 2009.

1. dmorseav

dmorseav I've got a zappy little nappy

I am new to this forum........ but a old.... long time Roy Harper fan from St. Louis, Missouri......... KSHE 95 fan and collector.... what I would like to know is if the first track from Lifemask.... Highway Blues is discussed on any of the podcasts? and if so.... which one? Or if anyone has any information on the writing , recording or stories at all about this track and the whole Lifemask album.... it is my favorite one I believe..
    Thank you so much,
    Don Morse
    dmorseav@gmail.com

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I played a BBC concert version of the track on podcast 6, primarily because Darren Crisp (who is interviewed) said it was one of his favourite tracks. I can't remember that much analysis was done of it though.

Paul.

3. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Didn't Roy at the Royal Festival Hall 60th gig give a wee intro to Leadbelly's Road to the Highway as he brought John Renbourne onto the stage, Roy explained he used to play Leadbelly's Road to the Highway on the road with John and how it was an influence / inspired Roy to write Highway Blues?

I can't remember if it is on the CD but I certainly remember it from the gig.

4. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

St. Louis Blues

Welcome, Don, from Jack outside of Chi-town! We love the "BLUES..."

Where have you been? I'm glad to see someone else from the midwest on this site. Now you have to get caught up like I've been doing. Buy "The Book" and the 10 or 20 Roy albums you never knew about (like me?).

Here is Roy's only comment about the lyrics in his BOOK.

"A plea from the kerbside (sic). I got here from yesterday, on jail, crazy incentives and traps. Homo sapiens ducking and weaving, but happy getting a job travelling a brand of trust across the new day. I had a Swedish girlfriend called Margareeta. We hitch-hiked once. It was really easy, she was so outstandingly blonde. The words have evolved slightly in performance, as some things do, and I've stuck my currently preferred line 7 in there."

I notice Roy has also evolved Big Bill Broonzy's lyrics for "Key to The Highway," if he ever really learned them...:D