1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hors D'Oeuvres Magazine: Interested?

Discussion in 'General' started by pd, Jan 9, 2009.

?

Would you buy a one-off Hors D'Oeuvres Magazine?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2009.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    96.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Inspired by Linn's comments on how the old Hors D'Oeuvres magazine should be brought back (it was the Roy Harper Fanzine, sold mail order and at gigs, in the 80s and 90s) Pete Cunliffe has suggested making a one off "anniversary" issue as it's 25 years since the first one came out:

I think that it should probably cover both Nick and Roy.

2. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

is it missing the point to suggest a pdf?

3. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

At last: I am heard!:D I have banged on about this long before the podcast both on here and the old Nick forum.

Yes, I agree, to cover both Nick and Roy which increases consumer interest. Plus, I think if it contains some 'exclusives' that aren't anywhere else that will also draw interest.

Nice one, Pete. Let's make it happen.

4. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

What about some input from contempories (OK, a lot of the best copy would need to come via seance); perharps even Pagey might be moved to contribute then there's Peter Jenner and maybe something from Ms Newsom?

Sure you can all think of others....

5. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Hd'O

I think they are looking for a rapid result with deadlines etc which is a shame and might rush such an excellent idea / project. What about some clips from the old Hd'Os? A montage of their covers showing the 25 years? Roy's latest diary enties? Nick's tour dates coming up?

chrs & good luck anyway
    andi

6. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

I've decided that rapid is NOT the way to go. Let's take our time and make it a good un. So all ideas welcome.

7. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Sounds like a brilliant idea Pete, I'm interested in subscribing to that! :thumbup1:

8. Watcher

Watcher Computer stained fingers

I'm in. I'm still subscribed to the original run and due several issues, but obviously I won't hold you to that Pete :wink:

9. pete c

I'd like to a couple of photo spreads of unusual/unseen shots for both Roy and Nick. I've got some quite good ones from the record store sessions last year, Nick playing guitar to the chippy girls in St Helens etc. Does anyone (Paula? Moth?) have any pics of Nick with Sleeper Cell, dancing on tables, playing guitar in the street etc? with the dancing girls in Liverpool Tunnels (!) and pics of Roy and Nick together would be good too.

I've also realised that these days my knowledge of Roy's recent stuff is minimal, so I'll need some help there.

If anyone has any thoughts on writing reviews, pics or unused interviews etc. I'd like very much to see them, Paul do you have pics from your trip to Clonakilty to interview Roy?

Please contact me via the email link on my name if you think you can help in any way.

Remember it will be a full colour publication so your pics will look great. I can also enhance/retouch where necessary.

Thanks
    Pete

10. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Yes, yes, yes and yes. And most likely yes :wink:

Will email you to sort this out ASAP...

11. pete c

Cheers Paula! let me know by email what you have, & we'll break it down into manageable e-mail-able chunks, or you could post a disc if you prefer.

x
    Pete

12. pd

I have a lot of pictures from various years at Clon. I didn't take many on the interview trip - I was mostly fretting about the interview - and the good ones have already been posted on the shownotes.

But, if you want to PM me your snail mail address, I'll send over a CD with a bunch of max-resolution JPGs for you to look at.

I'm also happy to help with an article or whatever, on the Roy side of things, though I don't have an idea of what to write at the moment...

13. pete c

A CD would be marvellous Paul, thanks. I'll email you my snailmail address.

As for the writing, how about a "My life with Roy/Nick" piece, just outlining your involvement with the Harpics & what they've brought to your life, type of thing... I know this has been done before on the forums but maybe gathering a bunch of these together (including my own I'm afraid) and going into a bit more detail, would be a nice piece. And a mugshot of yergoodself would be a nice touch to go with reminiscences...

This applies to everybody by the way. Get thinking. :)

Critch?!! I'm expecting input from you too, young man...

You can email me on the link via my name, above.

14. pd

That's actually a nice idea, it'd be interesting to read this from a bunch of people.

Do you have any guidelines - word count, preferred format, that sort of thing?

15. pete c

word count - whatever you like, I'll edit if I need to (having said that, I never really did edit anything in the original mags :))

preferred format - word docs are ok (but NOT .docx, I can't open those) or just pasted into the body of an email message is OK.

16. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Simon Foster has pics from Liverpool - and a whole host of others. Sound him out.

17. pete c

Have sent him message, thanks.

PR, is it worth doing some flyers to hand out at gigs asking for reminiscences & contributions? I can sort that if so.

I can feel post throttling tentatively yapping at my heels now. :bored:

18. Cardinal Doomsday

Cardinal Doomsday I've got a zappy little nappy

I have to agree with shaun on that one.It would be nice to do something digital even if it's a pdf of scans or [i don't know what the budgets like] a limited edition a4 paperback book type thing people could subscribe [say £10] and when you have say 500 you could print it up.
    Nice magazine i remember the first issue coming out.

19. pd

Personally, I say no to any form of digital distribution. I like the idea of an old-tech project that leads to a physical magazine that I can add to my collection.

Maybe this is an age-related issue :)

20. pete c

I doubt it's an age thing, as Terry is probably as creaky as you and I, Paul...

I agree with the print thing though, it's more tangible & tactile, therefore more personal I think. Old tech is the future anyway, I'm currently surviving on gruel and dripping.