1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hors D'Oeuvres Magazine: Interested?

Discussion in 'General' started by pd, Jan 9, 2009.

?

Would you buy a one-off Hors D'Oeuvres Magazine?

Poll closed Feb 8, 2009.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    96.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Cardinal Doomsday

Cardinal Doomsday I've got a zappy little nappy

I am deadly serious about the windfall i was originally thinking about paying for the printing of a soft cover a4 collection of Hrd and doing say 100 - 200 copies at around a tenner each then i thought maybe if i could do one in hardback with photographs and a special slipcase and maybe put out 100 has a limited edition that would also be good.But at the moment i am trying to get a rough idea how much and how many i can do that will sell if i do say 100 it will be more expensive per book than doing 500 but if i do 500 will i be stuck with 300 copies i can't sell? Would the roy harper shop sell it?.Would Pete have to pay and lind of royalty to the contributers of the magazine or for photographs or anything else.Anyway it's an idea i will put the money up and ask no return apart from a free copy and my original investment back [without intrest] i will do this because i like hrd and i for one would love to see them all collected together in one place i looked on a self printing website in the usa and the basic rule of thumb is it costs about £5 per book inc. postage etc so i would only want £500 back and the rest would be pure profit for pete to put into another project or whatever he wants.

Can't say fairer than that really can i?.

I was thinking about some like this which my friend help compile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Save-Se...0859653161/ref=pd_sim_b_1/276-5076842-6186233

So it is dooable i would put up the money and pete would do everything else and all he would have to do is pay me back.

Worth thinking about but it would have to be totaly diy i don't want to be setting up a buisness or paying tax [lol] just putting it in and taking it back within a certain time period [say 6 months] still it's worth thinking about if anyone can let me know about copyright and would the roy harper shop sell it could it be sold at Nick's concerts?.

Okay any feedback is welcome.

2. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Sorry folks been on holiday, now back in work. bah.

interesting idea Terry, but would take some doing, not least because would need to re-do a lot of the HdO articles to a more presentable standard. I'll get back to you when I get some thinking space.....

3. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Please contribute questions to Roy and Nick that you would like an answer to for the Q+A page in the Hors d'Oeuvres magazine. Get in there with those questions that have long been puzzling you! Post here if you're a member or email c/o the editor at
    magazine@blueyonder.co.uk

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Q&A

You could ask Roy a cryptic one and may get an off-tangent humorous reply? What he does he see in the mirror these days when he looks at himself? [Lifemask - 'now and then when I see a mirror...so far removed, I never hear the water..burnt alive in the searing heat in the desert of my dispassion etc..]

With Nick I'd be interested to know his daily fitness schedule for tackling Kilimanjaro as twenty people died there last year mainly from altitude related problems. Snowdon will be my limit and hopefully not my nemesis.

chrs
    andi

5. HarperPR

'bout time we had another word from the editor, isn't it?!:D

6. pete c

7. aspwatterson

Wow! Clicking the link on that word...

I got pseudoantidisestablishmentarianism - 'the false belief that you disagree with the separation of the church and state'.There must be a shorter word that describes that? Freedom?

andi

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  8. aspwatterson

Ask Roy if...

Ask Roy if he remembers meeting Richenda Watterson and John Broad [aka 'John Green'] hanging around Gandalf's Garden Worlds End Chelsea in the 60s. And with his association with Jenner, did he ever meet the Clash? Especially their lead singer [RIP]? And if so what did he think of him?

chrs
    andi

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  9. pete c

A word from the editor

I'm still wavering on this. What's done so far looks really good but response so far from potential contributors has been less than encouraging (with a couple of exceptions) and the forum has been all but deserted lately. I'm wondering whether it's worth all the work and the outlay, which could be redirected elsewhere.

Linn I've included the interview you did on the road with Nick on the tour leading up to "Miracles". Is that OK? what would be even better is if you could do a new one..... maybe get Nick to talk you through upcoming songs like on that one? ....... I know you're doing a lot already but my interviewing skills are, erm, poor..

whatever happened to Merrie England and pocket Billiards btw?......

10. pete c

PR Are you going to be at Manchester on Saturday? Try not to be hospitalised this time if so...... be careful.

11. aspwatterson

Gandalf's Garden info..

Go to : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandalf's_Garden

Now I've worked out why my sister called her daughters Acorn Lovejoy and Goldberry!
    Blooming trippy hippies!

c/a
    :m2:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  12. HarperPR

I shall ignore that...:angry:

13. HarperPR

I'm wondering whether it's worth all the work and the outlay, which could be redirected elsewhere.
    Yeah, I was wondering that too!

Linn I've included the interview you did on the road with Nick on the tour leading up to "Miracles". Is that OK?
    Which was that? Yeah, I guess...if I can remember what it was.:biggrin:

what would be even better is if you could do a new one..... maybe get Nick to talk you through upcoming songs like on that one? .
    He won't do my questions anymore....haha!:biggrin: It's hard enough getting him to answer important ones, as it is. But yeah, I'll PM ya.

whatever happened to Merrie England and pocket Billiards btw?
    Another of life's mysteries.:wink:

14. pete c

project revival

Been busy.......

If anyone has unusual or just plain good shots from any of the gigs on the 38 tour, please send em to

pcunliffe at blueyonder dot co dot uk

jpegs please, at best resolution you can manage. Pics of venues too if you took any.. I'm putting the tour diary in the magazine & need some good pics to accompany it.

Cheers
    Pete

*edit* it may still end up as a pdf by the way, unless anyone fancies pitching in finance-wise.........

15. pete c

Any other copy contributions welcome too of course, feel free to write your "What have the Harpers done for me" stories now.

Where's Malc Fisher when you need him?

16. pete c

Harrumph.

Maybe I should have posted this on some sort of Roy and Nick Harper forum.

disgruntled of Wigan.

17. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Aww Pete...

I know I still owe you some copy and I will get it to you soon. Life keeps getting in the way.

There are still a lot of "old school" Harpernauts who insist on using my old mailing list (http://mistlethrush.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/stormcock_mistlethrush.co.uk) and don't like web forums and stuff. They don't actually seem to talk about anything relevant very often, mind. Would you like me to send them a heads-up to this thread, or perhaps you are still subscribed? A cursory glance would indicate that you last posted in 2005...

18. Steve_Pitts

Steve_Pitts I've got a zappy little nappy

Hey, we resemble that remark

:wink:

19. aspwatterson

I was..

I was t'wondering if any ol'timers t'wood riposte 2 that th'admin th'outburst...!!

c/a :confused1:

ps Hd'O : Is it t'worth financing a hard mag copy if it can be done on PDF and the interest from fans may not be overwhelmingly signif? Toe in water...test marketing an' all that?

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  20. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

See, there's life in the old dog yet...
    :cheers2: