1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many times fun poll

Discussion in 'General' started by aspwatterson, Sep 30, 2012.

?

How many times have you seen Roy live?

1. Never

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Once

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2 - 5

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. 5 -10

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. 10 - 20

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. 20 -30

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  7. 30 - 50

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. 50 - 100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Over 100

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  10. 500 +

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

This is a Poll to establish how many times do you estimate to have seen Roy perform live?*

Andi :)

* Not live in your living room!

2. aspwatterson

Technically I suppose...

Technically I suppose if you've been to Clon you could probably count as a five?

A:)

3. aspwatterson

I wonder if ...

I wonder if Roy actually knows how many public performances he has done in total?

Not that I'm a statistician or anything; but one of the trolley pushers at the local Tescos got an award [a bottle of wine and he doesn't drink!]for 15 years solid service. I sat down with him and worked out he'd pushed 2.5 million trollies which astonished him and the management.

So considering Roy's grand age of tenacious touring how many do you reckon to the nearest 500?

A:confused1:

4. aspwatterson

Also...

Also his most prolific song? How many times has he performed live Another Day for instance?

A:)

5. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Eventually Andi ... you'll realises that you are talking ( or rather typing ) to yourself here !! Though I've just replied so that's not true anymore ... doh !!

6. aspwatterson

Ha!

Ha! Strange its the living who fear the idea of the dead! You ok you big harpernaut? Don't expect a reply..take care bluey!

A:biggrin:

7. Colin L

Colin L Computer stained fingers

I've guessed as I'm not sure at all. First saw Roy in the early 80s and saw him every time he was around Yorkshire, then i went off the radar for a few years while the children were young. I will have seen Nick a lot more times.
    (I guessed at 20 - 30)

8. aspwatterson

Well..

Well thanks for the courtesy of a response Colin. Love to Joy etc..

If I get to Peru; Avebury / Snowdon will be a piece of cake next year methinks!

A x

BTW Bet Roy is the only one to have used vestige in a song??
    Lovely word : " a surviving trace of what has almost disappeared: a footprint; a reduced and functionless structure" Chambers 2003

9. JonDoe

JonDoe I've got a zappy little nappy

started listening and going to see Roy in the eighties, not been to as many gigs as i would of liked but its in the 10 - 20 bracket.

10. aspwatterson

I need..

I need proof! Have you got the ticket stubs!? :>

A:biggrin:

11. Colin L

Colin L Computer stained fingers

This had got me thinking of Roy's gigs over the years.
    i keep a record of Saw Doctors gigs, but haven't for anyone else.

First saw Roy on the "work of Heart' tour with a band at Huddersfield poly, saw the same tour in Sheffield.

In recent years festival hall(x2), metropolis studios, clon (once),

other places I remember - bradford, leeds- (various venues), York, halifax, hebdon Bridge, mixenden (nr Halifax), various Sheffield venues, supporting Joanna Newsom at Manchester, Wakefield

So my estimate from that is at least 20 - there must be other gigs that I forgot.

12. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Yeah, I've been racking my brains too. I think I've seen Roy 9 times but I may be wrong. Interestingly enough, 5 of those times he was playing with Nick, what a shock :D

Edinburgh (my first Roy gig at the Pleasance in 1999, with Nick)
    Glasgow x 3 (Renfrew Ferry 2003, Classic Grand 2007 and Royal Concert Hall 2010 - last time was supporting Joanna Newsom)
    Wolverhampton (2002, with Nick)
    Derby (same)
    London x 2 (Barfly 2006 and Royal Festival Hall 2011, both with Nick)
    Clonakilty (once at Harper-palooza 2006, with Nick)

13. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I can only say not enough! and probably about half of them were with Nick too. 20 Plus perhaps.

The very first was with Nick and Tony Franklyn... that was a line up and I've not seen it repeated. I know Roy played with Dick Gaughan too, again I have never seen them play together, but I did manage to meet and hear Gaughan in New Zealand a few years back.

Right now I'm hoping to get to Marlborough with my friend to see Nick, fingers crossed! :D

14. JonDoe

JonDoe I've got a zappy little nappy

I probably have but as it would take an age to find them you`ll just have to take my word for it :biggrin:, i do have somewhere a recording i made from a gig he did at southport arts centre, if i can find it and its still in good condition i might post it, somewhere, somehow.

15. Mikey Rudds

Mikey Rudds I've got a zappy little nappy

Reckon I'm up to about 15 Roy and about 15 Nick. And both together 2 or 3 times...

16. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I'd put my Nick gig total but you may laugh or run away :blushing: :D

17. Nigels

Nigels Computer stained fingers

Well, I think its in the low thirties. Seen him play at students unions, beer cellars, old bus stations, pubs, converted churches, international theatres, in fields, Hotel ballrooms and on the back of a lorry, but only ever in England.

18. aspwatterson

Over 500!?

Over 500?! That can only be one person for such a large figure:Chevy_anim:!? Unless it's Roy, Nick or Tracy themselves or someone messin about?!

Andi:m9:

19. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I have a perfect record!

Just voted, Andi.

I've missed every single live performance by Roy, I even managed to miss seeing him perform with Pink Floyd by two years in 1977.

My Consolation prize was seeing Nick 2 or 3 years ago with Cy Curnin (?) at the Abbey Pub in Chicago. Wish there was a released DVD of the 70th B-Day, but at least I have the 60th and Beyond the Door DVDs, and you and others have posted various clips.

20. aspwatterson

Hi NC!

It look like you have the perfect storm approaching!! Make sure you hunker down in your bunker. Ironically it may even help the Obama vote! Nothing like chaos for a bit of firm management to exhibit itself to ones advantage...

Take care and let us know how the winds blow...

Andi