1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm currently lovin' ...

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by critch, Jul 22, 2008.

1. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

In our time from double life.

Every once in a while I revisit a song which i may have heard a thousand times before, yet find new meaning, beauty, or parallels. Sometimes musical reflections or echoes. For me In our time just keeps getting better with all these things in abundance.

It starts simply with repeating a rhythm dotted chord before the melody is brought in. This rhythm continues throughout, and yet the melody is stretched and changed to keep interest while still holding it's familiarity. Nick's voice gently floats above this holding it's smooth soulful timbre without wavering into the falsetto.

The downtuning of the guitar, adds depth to the piece, and while used in extreme moderation, it adds power and accentuates moments of meaning leaving the higher melody to stand alone.

Lyrically, Nick takes everyday notions and figures of speech and crafts emotionally and intellectually challenging ideas. The result is pensive yet powerful. Dramatic yet soothing. For me, one of the best songs he has written and one of the best performances.

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Now that's what I want in a review!:)

Funny enough, that one's been going through my head since last hearing it at Eastleigh.

3. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Thanks. I shall bear that in mind next time i write a gig review for you.