1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introduce myself

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cardinal Doomsday, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Cardinal Doomsday

Cardinal Doomsday I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi,i am Terry i live near Manchester in England i have been a roy harper "fan" since 1983 [i'm 43] my main taste in music is 70's and 80's punk and i don't like much singer/songwriter or prog music apart from Gong and porcupine tree the first thing i heard of Roys was folkjokeopus the guy who played me the album was Peter Cunliffe who used to do a fanzine called Hor d'ourves [he lived in Gollborne] and he lent me a few tapes of roy's albums and i got hooked.
    The first time i saw him live was back in 1983 at st helens tech. I remeber he did a cracking set but i only knew a few songs then but it was a amazing introduction to him live.I have not seen much of roy live but been to around 15 of his concerts and enjoyed every one of them.
    I have a claim to fame anyone want to guess?.[It's roy related].

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Peter Cunliffe? That name sounds familiar!:wink: Last I heard of him he was with a band called Vision Thing. Didn't know he was gigging back in 83 though....:D I'm mounting a one (wo-)man mission to bring back Hors d'Oeuvres too. It was a great little mag.

And I give up on your claim to fame, but hi anyway and welcome!

3. Friar Snig

Friar Snig Computer stained fingers

You can be heard on a live album shouting out something funny from the audience?

4. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I'm pretty sure Peter Cunliffe is on here as Pete C!

By the way Hi Terry.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
  5. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

woaahhh, timeslip! That was 25 freakin' years ago! it's all a blur...

6. Sadfish

Sadfish I've got a zappy little nappy

you where in Blur 25 years ago????

huh? :beatdeadhorse5:

7. Cardinal Doomsday

That is uncanny i am the guy who's trying to sing One of those days in England on the inbetween every line lp/cd [not the show us your bum guy] in my defence i was very drunk and it was a long time ago but that's unbelivable.And i did apologise to Roy the next time i saw him.

Hors d'Oeuvres was a brilliant magazine.
    I haven't seen Pete or his wife for years since i left Golborne.

8. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Terry Turton isn't it?
    Where are you living now?

9. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Was it the bit where Roy says "Thank you, I'd forgotten the words there" or something to that effect? Cool claim to fame! :D

10. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Pete:Terry; Terry:pete

This is getting better than Friends Reunited.

OK, that's not hard.

Brilliant use of the medium, if I may say so. PD will be impressed.

11. Friar Snig

Friar Snig Computer stained fingers

I had a flash of inspiration! I knew Belvenie had mystical properties!
    That's a great claim to fame Cardinal, and that particular track is my favourite of all Roy's live recordings - it captures the sound and spirit of those early 80s gigs brilliantly.

Out of interest, do you (or anyone else) remember where that version was recorded? The sleeve says all the tape boxes were mixed up, so you may be able to shed light on it.
    If you said Longridge 85 I would be very impressed indeed, as it was the first time I saw Roy.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  12. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Absolutely - this is what it's all about, in my opinion. Welcome to the site, Cardinal/Terry :) I'll have to listen to "In Between" again soon in your honour! It'll have to be the vinyl I think, the version of Hangman is well worth it and sadly missing on the CD.

13. Cardinal Doomsday

If you have the tape i also shouted right at the start of the gig "Why you wearing sunglasses?" [but very slurred and in a Manchester accent].

Not something i am proud off and i haven't been drunk since.I scanned the tickets from the gigs blue ones the inbetween gig.And the bottom one is the best gig i have ever been to.

Both 1986 [i think] check out the price of the tickets.
    Just a little geeky fact the bass player from Platos Jacuzi is now in Hawkwind [ron].

[​IMG]

14. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

I know who that person was! I've not seen him for about 18 years, but I used to go out drinking with him every now and then.

ps. Hello!