1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

James Varda

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveT, May 31, 2013.

1. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Supported Roy in the late eighties and had Nick as a guest on his superb first LP has a new album on the way.

http://www.jamesvarda.com/

2. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Brilliant News ... all we need now is for him to do a gig or two, outside of Suffolk !! I have nothing against Suffolk ... it's just that you can't get to places quickly via the A12 !!

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

James Varda Triste magazine interview excerpt

Triste: What was the connection with Roy Harper around the time of Hunger?

James Varda: I met Roy at a Martin Carthy gig at I think Clapham Folk Club. I had played a floor spot and Roy spoke to me at the end and I gave him a tape of a few songs. Roy passed the tape to Andy Ware who at that time released a number of Roy's albums on Awareness Records. Andy liked what he heard and he became my manager. I played quite a lot of dates with Roy and ended up recording “Hunger” in his studio in his home in Lincolnshire. John Leckie, who of course had worked with Roy on a number of occasions, produced the album.

Triste: So bearing in mind you had John Leckie producing the record was there some kind of industry "buzz" around the record? Were people expecting great things commercially?

James Varda: Hunger was released on a small independent label (Murmur). John Leckie got involved in the record because he liked the music. There certainly wasn’t the sense of a big name producer being wheeled in, although John was and still is a very highly regarded producer.

Triste: I believe, at this time, you opened some live shows for Roy Harper. I remember seeing a particularly confrontational and erratic show from him in the mid 80’s. How did you find the experience?

James Varda: I played with Roy on a number of shows including a tour in 1988. In my opinion Roy is a very underrated artist in this country in some quarters (i.e the media), but his shows when I opened for him were very professional and very well received by his not inconsiderable audience. For me it was a good experience to open for Roy and his audience was very receptive to what I was doing.

http://www.triste.co.uk/jamesvarda.htm

A x

4. SteveT

Well, I've just given the new album its first outing and the results were very favourable.

5. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Yeah I agree ... in fact it seems a tad catchier than his last outing ... but obviously not as good as his debut !!

6. SteveT

It's sort of half way between the two albums in feel. I thought I heard some echoes of early Al Stewart, Nick Drake and James Varda in there. I'll give it a more thorough listen at the weekend.