1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Martyn: RIP

Discussion in 'General' started by intimate gigs, Jan 29, 2009.

1. intimate gigs

intimate gigs I've got a zappy little nappy

Sad to report that John Martyn has sadly past away last night.

2. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Terrible news. No mention of it on the radio yet.

3. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Oh, sad! :bored:

4. intimate gigs

It has not been released to the press yet.

5. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

It's very said indeed. I got his "Ain't no Saint" boxed set for xmas this year and it's wonderful, I have really been enjoying working through it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  6. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Jm [rip]

...may you never lay your head down without a hand to hold, may you never have to sleep out there in the cold....

sad andi

7. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Ain't No Saint

He sure wasn't! But what a legacy. A completely different animal from our Roy but probably even more important in my life. His music had that emotional connection direct to my heartstrings and guts. He didn't have Roy's facility with lyrics and when he sang them he made much of what he sang unintelligible but the feeling was there in trumps. Oddly enough, I'm listening to some very elegiac music by a group called "Grouper" at present, downloaded from eMusic. Very atmospherically suitable.

Bob

8. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Another sad loss, of a major contributor to 20th Century music! RIP

9. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Very Sad to hear that !!

Out of the 100's ( or maybe 1000's ) of gigs I've been to ... I still rate one by John Martyn as easily been in my top 5 ... can't remember when it was exactly ( could be 10 years ago ) but he played in the Acoustic Tent at one of the London Fleadh's and it was absolutley peeing it down outside ... so the tent was crambed ... but he played an amazing funky set ( not much singing ) that just blew most people away ( including the people who were just there to get away from the rain !! ).

And another gig, that was apparently very good ( damn! ) was back in 1987(ish) when I was a student in Sheffield ... and I used to go to a locals pub virtually every night for a year ... but one night I decided I couldn't make it ... cos I just HAD to get some homework done !! At the end of the night ... one of my mates came round and said that he'd just been to our local ... and some guy had just turned up with a guitar and started playing in the front room ... I asked who it was and he said "no one that I'd heard off ... just some guy called John Martyn" - you can imagine how peed off I was !!!!

10. Friar Snig

Friar Snig Computer stained fingers

I'm sorry to hear this news.
    I only saw him play one time, a couple of years ago at Cropredy. It was a fine gig, and I was overjoyed to have finally seen him after being an appreciative listener for so many years.
    Actually, it wasn't the first time I saw him - I remember passing his tour bus in a van on the M6 some time in the late 80s. He was stood in the front talking to the driver, and as we overtook I leant out of the passenger window and waved at him. He didn't wave back. (I wasn't driving by the way. The guy driving our van was a Hell's Angel. Which is irrelevant).
    RIP John.

11. aspwatterson

Jm [rip]..

The only time I saw him I think was Portsmouth Guildhall when he was first starting to be famous mainly through the success of his song May You Never and that lovely first album with Beverley Martin. Never forget him trying to balance a bottle of beer on the speaker on stage next to him very carefully!

chrs
    andi

12. intimate gigs

Aye....

I saw him in the early 90's, can't remember the exact year in the Glasgow Pavillion. It was just him and a keyboard player. The sheer power of his performance blew me away. His later stuff never managed to live up to the early stuff, but was still 10 times better than most of the young pretenders.

13. pconpie

pconpie I've got a zappy little nappy

Such sad news. But now I hope himself and Nick (Drake) will play the music of the cosmos together.

14. aspwatterson

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  15. marky

marky I've got a zappy little nappy

Now playing nice and load.

John Martyn - In Session

16. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Obituaries

The Independent ran a good one for him today.

So sad, so sad.

Despite his reputation, when we took the daughters to the Stansfield Suffolk 'n' Good Strawbs fest. in '93 (when they were Very Impressionable), he delighted them by not only signing their programmes, but also teasing them about their names.

Sad.

And now Bill Frindall too.

17. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Was watching the BBC doc and live show tonight that went out on the weekend. It struck me how back in the 70s when he was speaking he sounded like a Cockney Londoner, but in later years more the Glaswegian...:confused1:

I would imagine it must be difficult for a singer to cover his songs, because of his style of slewing the words together. Couldn't Love You More is a great song, but hard to vocalise.

18. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

He didn't only do home counties drawl and Glaswegian either. He did an excellent Yorkshire accent for a while in that documentary. What a treat it was and what a delightful character, at least in his latter days.... Still my favourite musician bar none.

19. aspwatterson

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  20. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

i guess you could get really, really pissed and you'd get pretty close....