1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Join the NME campaign!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Sep 4, 2009.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

If you've ever objected to anything in the NME, never buy it now because of the stance it takes, or for any other reason you have gripes against its editorial policy and content, read on...

If you're on Twitter and follow Reverend And The Makers's frontman Jon McClure you may be aware of what's started. If not, an issue initially arose where Jon criticised them for being largely anti-black in a newspaper (both in its coverage, and also that NME Towers employs no black staff). The outgoing editor Conor McNicholas then contacted Jon to say he'd sue if he didn't retract.

That was the start....it escalated yesterday evening. A few of Jon's tweets:

in next weeks NEW musical express the beatles. shameless cash whores

i ****in object to their bullying and spite. they need putting out

**** this ive enuf things to bury em. ill just publish in a newspaper. unless they have some kind of turnaround next week

come on man cats out the bag everyone hates em anyway. who else dare say it or u all too careerist ???

music. not just indie is the remit. quit being so ******* spiteful and londoncentric cos ppl hate u nme

Jon is now fighting back:

anyone up for a non corporate alternative to nme run by us the people ??

He is asking for ideas to be sent to him for a new style of music publication that the people run at reverendmusic@gmail.com

This is to hit back at NME and bring about change....hard job, but someone's gotta do it.

So, who's ready to bring down the NME then?:D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

The thing is, the NME has no relevance for me whatsoever. I don't think I've even looked at a copy for 20 years or so. Frankly I'm amazed it's even still going at all.

3. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

I hadn't looked at a copy for at least as long myself (I was always a Melody Maker man in my youth) but flicked through a copy the other day. It didn't take long.

4. HarperPR

This isn't really so much about the NME - although this latest from Jon:

on monday ill publish the emails connor sent threatening to blacklist me and ruin my career

- but about hitting back with a magazine format that people do want to read because they are involved in it.

So if the NME hasn't suited your tastes - that's to whoever is reading this - then now is the time you can do something about highlighting the artists you do want to see featured in an alternative to it. Get involved - make it happen.

5. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Don't think weekly music magazines have much relevance anymore and like Paul I haven't opened the NME for millenia. Used to hang on its every word back in the 70s (Nurse, stop me)

With respect, Linn, have to say this guy sounds a bit of a self righteous jerk; I think you'd sue him for spouting stuff like that; I'm damn sure I would....

6. HarperPR

Well, Mr Monster, I agree and disagree.

I hope Jon has a good lawyer as this potentially could get nasty. Although Conor has left NME, he does have a good reputation and enormous sway in the music media, and he could indeed make it nasty for the Makers, directly and indirectly. But Jon's never fought shy of speaking his mind and standing up for what he feels to be right. I applaud him for that and I think his idea for creating something different is commendable - if perhaps a little over ambitious. But he is gaining a lot of support.

And if that's being self-righteous, count me in!

7. The Monster

I'd also commend him for the magazine part; it's the racism card playing I find self righteous

regards
    nick

8. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

The NME has been awful for years. Literally unreadable. There have been a number of good new music magazines in recent years (Careless Talk Costs Lives, Plan B) but they tend not to be financially viable. But even the high-street 'Word' and 'Uncut' are way better than the NME. Mojo is getting worse and Q has long been irrelevant.

Really? He's pulled a few questionable stunts in his time in an attempt to boost sales, e.g. The whole Morrissey is Racist debacle. This link does not do him any favours at all:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2007/dec/04/morrisseyresponds

+A

9. HarperPR

Mmm, okay! Depends where you're looking at it from. Still a main player, although Top Gear may down that, who knows.

But let's get back where we started...NME have held the prime position now for too long, even given the decline in their readership and print journalism altogether. What they do is to have their own 'darlings' which they love up each week regardless of their relevance, whilst much else gets totally by-passed.

10. HarperPR

How so? Don't understand?

11. The Monster

Just fed up with all the 'This that and the other is institutionally racist' stuff

I guess sometimes it must be true, but it's all much too easy to level at organisations and take the moral high ground

One day the masochism needs to stop...

12. HarperPR

13. The Monster

Don't think many would argue with any of that

Just hope he sticks to the music related issues

14. HarperPR

Not ever being one to big up NME, I gotta say the funniest thing I have read this week is the David Gest piece on the back page (and that's not even including the accompanying photo!). If you're in a newsagent, just have a quick gander. And does anyone by chance know his cousin Rita in Liverpool?:biggrin:

15. The Monster

Or his sister, Di?

Reaches for coat