1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KOMEDIA _ Sunday 23rd Feb

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by Linda, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda

Linda Computer stained fingers

Brighton was one of, if not the best Nick gig I've been to.
    Unsupported, Nick played for over three hours with just one short interval . His passion and energy was thrust into every song and the new one '38' was a bluesy number which was well applauded. Not quite as much though as Love is Music/Whole Lotta Love etc medley- "This one goes on for an hour and a quarter" - he was almost correct. Standing ovation received at the end and referring to the 100club posts here - again no string break.
    He was forced into an encore and no one really wanted to leave. Nick looked happy and relaxed and left me wanting to hear even more.
    On a personal note, good to meet up with Linn, Simon, Craig and Sue (love to Dave - shame the lergy got you) and to talk to Critch on the 'phone - adding to his anguish of still being over a hundred miles away as we all sat outside the Komedia.
    Linda

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Like I said below earlier this morning in the other Komedia thread (so good it has two of 'em!):

Yes, Nick put in a smoke break for me and probably that Leveller smoker!:biggrin: Unusual - but nice!

I had tears in my eyes during the last half of LIM - he is so bloody good!

Simon has taken some stunning shots. The lighting - so superb, coupled with the liquid gas effects really added to the atmosphere.

Linda - sorry didn't say goodbye. Thought you were coming with us to the pub.

3. HarperPR

It was a 3 hour and 10 minute show, with a 15 minute break and 19 songs:

No Truth...
    Aeroplane
    Good Bus
    By My Rocket
    Guitar Man / Whole Lotta Love
    Real Life
    Treasure Island
    Simple
    Evo
    The Verse Time Forgot
    FOTCOG
    3 Magpies
    Love Junky
    Imaginary Friend
    Galaxy Song
    Love Is Music etc
    Blue Sky Thinking
    Titties & Beer

4. HarperPR

Linda, do you have a bit more I could use to shape into a review?

Btw, apologies to all for being a bit 'tired' for the first few hours! But I was still one of the last standing even still once I woke up!

5. wessexy witch

wessexy witch I've got a zappy little nappy

3 hours!:w00t:
    Blummin 'eck!!!!!!!!

6. SusieB

SusieB I've got a zappy little nappy

Well said, Linda - it was a special evening, even if the normally raucous Brighton crowd seemed a bit more subdued than normal (it being a Sunday and 'upstairs', etc). But what a wonderful performance from Nick. He certainly had the audience transported to 'Harperspace' on more than one occasion. Good to see Simon F again after so long (and thanks again for those Manchester photos) - now is it just me, but is Nick, viewed in a certain light and from a certain angle, beginning to resemble Glenn Tilbrook?! Discuss. Looking forward to seeing some shots from last night's gig to give Dave a glimpse of what he missed. He was really sorry not to be there. Lovely to meet everyone and thanks again for the lift, Linda. I hope the Harper 'posse' survived the Lev's hospitality.... :D

7. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

To quote Fields of Cloth of Gold,

'With a thumping head the day began'....

...a few too many beers were consumed...everyone guilty of that...glad I came home today by train rather then the car...

8. dim

dim I've got a zappy little nappy

as opposed to
    "with a thumping day the head began" which is how i read it the first time... :confused:

9. HarperPR

I'm not guilty: didn't touch one beer!!!

The Levs were very hospitable! One even 'gave' me his wallet (now I know the answer to what men keep in them). I did wake up with a nasty thought this morning that I may have kept it too - as I'm apt to go off with things in my pocket in Brighton - haha!

10. dim

dim I've got a zappy little nappy

what colour credit cards to they have? (are they stuck on capital one like the poor people)

11. Linda

Linda Computer stained fingers

Longer review - less tired

KOMEDIA BRIGHTON - Sunday 24th February 2008
    Through the busy lanes of Brighton, winding among chattering groups of young artisans sipping coffee and drinking beer, you come across Komedia. Advertised in bright red lights with its outside tables and warm welcoming café bar wherein lies the ticket office. To the left, the old brown door that leads to the rooms above and below ground.
    Tonight Nick Harper Upstairs. Upstairs – the restaurant bar.
    The stage was waiting with a single microphone and a small table with a pint of beer on. The punters were mostly tucking into their food and chattering. Very subdued. What an eclectic bunch. Had they really all come to see Nick?
    Enter Nick, bathed in liquid gas effect ‘smoke’ and white light shining down on him. …………
    Straight into No Truth In The Mountains to rapturous applause from all……………Thanks goodness, I had fears that a coachload of people had strayed in by mistake but I was wrong. The word is out that Harperspace is for all.
    Nick stated that of course the song was rubbish as he now knew there was truth and more in the mountains and he began to involve the audience in stories of how he participated in a trek to play in the world’s highest gig at base camp on Mount Everest. What has become for him an inspirational trip has achieved much for Love,Hope,Strength, the cancer charity founded by Mike Peters.
    Changing track a tad, he then talked about his childhood antics and the first time he flew high. This was when his dad swung him up and around by his ankles and he recalled the feeling he had on coming down and staggering about the garden. He then moved effortlessly ino Aeroplane, a that describes the results of other means of being high. Swiftly followed by Good Bus and By My Rocket Comes Fire, he then played a new number titled 38. This was a really catchy song with a bluesy feel to it. Something a little different and one I would love to hear again soon. Just when we were perhaps expecting more new material he launched into an energetic Guitar Man with Whole Lotta Love. Slowing us down for a time with Real Life, Treasure Island, Simple and the poignant Evo about the unconventional Bolivian president. I’d forgotton how good Nick is at involving everyone in the background to his inspirational writing. History, Social Justice, Family…he can chat all night and he did, at one point saying “Have I been talking too much”?.
    This prompts a reminder of another family member… “How’s your Dad?” someone shouts referring to the legendary singer/songwriter and chatterbox Roy Harper. “He’s fine” Nick tells us. He gets this all the time but tonight is about Nick and it was clear he wanted to move on. Move on he did…. and we were off again into a whirlwind history tour with Field of the Cloth of Gold.
    After The Verse Time Forgot , 3 Magpies and Love Junky he then sent us tumbling back into family matters and his Everest trip. Nick spoke again about his mother’s influence and her untimely death to cancer. He spoke passionately about the inspiration she was to many. He confirmed that she touched many people’s lives and he shared with us some stories about her gifts of kindness to others such as donating money to keep a family and thereby allow a man to continue his studies. This act has been repaid as this enabled the man to become a doctor and treat many hundreds of people. Imaginary Friend was part written on the day she died and was played to a hushed room. Then in true Nick fashion he jumps in with Galaxy Song which got everyone laughing again.
    “It’s nearly time to go”, says Nick so my next song lasts about an hour…..well it was about 20 mins of Love is Music winding back and forth entwined with Jeff Buckley, Zeppelin, Beatles and seamlessly back to Love is Music….with no string break tonight……
    His final number was his first and only (so far) single, Blue Sky Thinking which is all about making your dreams happen. The proceeds from the sales are to be donated to the Love, Hope, Strength Cancer Charity. This is an amazing song that tonight Nick played with such passion and meaning.
    Nobody wanted to leave and Nick was cheered back on for an encore. “What shall I do”, he asked? “Titties and Beer or something else”. The cheer was loudest for something else which was clearly not THE PLAN. Spontaneous heckling starts – “Heck I’ve stood here for over three hours and you only start talking to me now I’m going” quips our man…..and launched into Titties and Beer. Nick v The Devil .The final frontier.
    Nick said on a few occasions how priviledged he is to be able to play, write and do the things he loves. I believe tonight we were all very priviledged to see him and the best thing was to turn to your neighbour and watch them smiling too. In fact the whole evening had been a joy ride of pleasure, he really he was in the best form I have ever witnessed.

12. HarperPR

That's excellent, Linda. Feel like I've just re-lived it all!

You forgot to mention that annoying person who's phone 'pinged' with a text while he was talking, and his quip about was it his agent! I should have told him it was Critch doing some electronic stalking - ha!

13. Jane

Jane I've got a zappy little nappy

hey Linda!
    That's spooky! ... I feel a bit like I have re-lived large parts of the review I wrote for Saturday's London gig...

I wrote
    "Evo about the unconventional and inspirational Bolivian president Evo Morales."
    Fancy that! You wrote
    "Evo about the unconventional Bolivian president"

I wrote
    "As well as his ever present themes of history, social justice and family, "
    You wrote
    "I’d forgotton how good Nick is at involving everyone in the background to his inspirational writing. History, Social Justice, Family"

...au contraire, it seems I reminded you...

I wrote
    “How’s your Dad?” someone shouts between songs, referring to Nick’s father, the legendary singer/songwriter Roy Harper. “He’s fine” Nick tells us. He gets this all the time. Having a famous Dad must be a mixed blessing.
    You wrote
    “How’s your Dad?” someone shouts referring to the legendary singer/songwriter and chatterbox Roy Harper. “He’s fine” Nick tells us. He gets this all the time

...Same heckler I wonder?!

I wrote
    he plays and sings for 20 minutes and more without stopping... The song combines the anthemic chant ‘Love is music’ which morphs into Jeff Buckley’s ‘Grace’, seamlessly moving into Zeppelin’s pulsating ‘Four sticks’, the Beatles’ ‘Norwegian Wood’, the whole of Nick’s own composition ‘Headless’ and then back, triumphantly, to the ‘Love is music’ chant.
    You wrote
    it was about 20 mins of Love is Music winding back and forth entwined with Jeff Buckley, Zeppelin, Beatles and seamlessly back to Love is Music

.. you didn't even bother to say 'Led' Zeppelin. I didn't bother with the 'Led' because it was the second time I mentioned that band, but it was the first time you wrote it.

Here's some advice (because I'm nice like that). Next time you write a review please look to your own experience, brain, creativity, editorial skills, knowledge of the English language and poeticism. Try not to rely on mine. Thanks.

PS There is no 'd' in privilege.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  14. HarperPR

My only comment here is that being at both nights, the 'how's your dad' quip did come up at the two - and it weren't me!

My own intention for both reviews had been for them to be sent to me, not put up here first. And then linked. Then there would have been nothing to compare to, as both would have been done at same time. I don't feel I can personally voice opinion as to content and structure.

15. Jane

Jane I've got a zappy little nappy

Indeed no. That would be for Linda to do, if she wishes.

As a professional writer, it's not cricket to lift other people's text unattributed. :(

Anyway, I have emailed you Linn, to ask you what format you'd like the review in - plain text, plain text with html or as a Word doc. Any of those can be arranged :)
    J
    x

16. Moth

Moth I've got a zappy little nappy

Linn - please see pm - not sure which pix you want....

love

Moth

17. Mr_Plod_The_Pessimist

Mr_Plod_The_Pessimist I've got a zappy little nappy

Professional Reviews

Amazed at Jane's outburst. We in the Stormcock community post reviews all the time. We never deliberately plagiarise and we are all amateurs. What we have in common is a shared enjoyment/rapture of Roy and Nick.

Linda is not a professional. I am delighted she did a review of the Komedia because I wanted to be there and she has succeeded in making me very very jealous. As Jane's review did of the 100 Club. Linda is not the sort of person who would nick (ok ok it is a pun) stuff off anybody - anyone who has met her will know that she is fiercely unique. Have now spoken to her and she is very upset by what Jane has written, which is frankly, wearing my plodding hat, libellous (apart from being gratuitously offensive).

All Linda wanted to do was quote what Nick had done at his show. Heavens above - he did the same thing two nights running. How on earth did Music Hall survive? Calm down Jane. Linda will never be competing with you as a "professional" journalist - like Roy, she has a certain scepticism of the music press. I suspect that you have just reinforced that scepticism. Shame as El Rose in the recent Podcast started to dispel that - lovely story about her interviewing Zeppelin's (whoops) LED Zeppelin's lead singer.

Up the amateurs, I say, and let's have lots more reviews without being told off. Whatever, great to learn that Nick sounds to be on really good form from two very different sources. :grouphug:

18. SimonF

SimonF I've got a zappy little nappy

Er, speak for yourself!!
    :biggrin:

19. SimonF

SimonF I've got a zappy little nappy

Strictly speaking Linn, no-one could argue with that statement.

However...
    (you do know it's cheaper by the bottle, don't you?)

:p

20. Moth

Moth I've got a zappy little nappy

Linn - I've pmed you to ask for clarification on which 100 club photos you want....

love

Moth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.