1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

last verse of True Story (Unknown Soldier)

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by robinoutside, Feb 8, 2010.

1. robinoutside

robinoutside I've got a zappy little nappy

Hello all, I have recently decided that The Unknown Soldier is my favourite Harper album so far, and True Story is a work of genius. However, the lyrics on the sleeve show an extra verse at the end of this song which go

(blows cool gases (fastest movement) as continents slide (slowest movement)
    wheat cannot grow without us and just falls (and would die)
    uncarried by the wind to where mother,
    who is very largely made of iron
    meets with her atmospheres.

but on the LP the final verse ends with 'and wheat falls where the sticky iron shelf meets the atmospheres outside'.

Does anyone know of a recording that includes this last part, or has anyone ever heard him play this live including the final verse? Also, does anyone have any clue what the ending of this song is about? The first part is about the battle of Bannockburn, but the last part seems to be about global warming or something and I can't figure out how it relates. Nevertheless, it is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Thanks!

2. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Ha! Looked on my iPod and discovered I'd somehow failed to install Unknown Soldier on it. I knew I'd copied it from vinyl to CD several years ago, so went to the Harper section of my filing system and found a CD nicely presented with the default cover art provided by some program like iTunes or Real Player. I inserted it in my laptop and Apple announced that it was something called 3D Views of the stage by someone called Keith Reid or Rowe or some such. Very mysterious! I think someone must have used an old CD and sent me a copy (Nick Lane perhaps?) when we were discussing it on the email list. Anyway, I imported it into iTunes and played it and it sounds like one of my own very poor LP-wav-mp3 conversions, complete with crackles, speaker fades and other "artifacts". Still, a great listen. If I'm still concentrating when True Story comes along, I'll offer an opinion... In the meantime, I think I may need to revisit Roy's new shop :)