1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Led Zeppelin require a new singer ....

Discussion in 'General' started by webbyla, Oct 29, 2008.

1. webbyla

webbyla Computer stained fingers

Hey Roy nearly got the gig last time (in 1978?)

What are the odds he is in the running this time?

Actually Nick does a good Percy Plant impersonation - he could also stand in for Page when he cracks his fragile fingers again.

Lets campaign for Nick to get the gig (and the millions).

2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Hmmm...

Much as this would be cool and all, am I the only one who thinks this might be harmful to Nick's solo career rather than beneficial? I mean, bad enough that he's got the 'son of Roy' tag, how about the 'new Zep guy' tag, I'm not sure that would help more than it would hinder...

Discuss! :wink:

Also, I have a real problem with it being called Led Zeppelin without Bonham AND Plant, who let's be fair is the recognisable voice and face...

3. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I don't see the problem with the band being called Zed Zeppelin .. I mean other bands have done that in the past ... some guy on breakfast TV this morning was saying yes other bands do it ... but we are talking about THE "Led Zeppelin" here ... but I don't think they deserve any special consideration. Don't get me wrong ... I love 'em ... but when it comes down do it .. it's just money in the bank for them ... and I'm sure if they tour and become popular with new fans and then they go out and buy their old back-catalog .. I'm sure Mr Plant won't say no to the new royalties !!

I think the only problem with calling themselves Led Zeppelin ... is that if someone genuinely goes to one of their gigs expecting it to be the original line-up ... but what are the chances of that ?!?

4. marky

marky I've got a zappy little nappy

Not sure that would really suit Nick I mean he'd have to sort his hair out for a start:wink:
    I don't think they could go for an unkown and most of the modern singers just don't have the street cred. Only person of that generation who could possibly handle the vocals that I can think of is Glenn hughes:confused1: any better offers:biggrin:

5. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

OK, I'll do it...I'll mime and Nick can sing from the wings :D :wink:

6. LAdrain

LAdrain I've got a zappy little nappy

It looks like Harvey Goldsmith has said they "Should not go on tour using the name Led Zeppelin".

Not sure if he owns the name or just staring it?

7. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

there are bands going out all the time with 2 or less original members, so what's it matter? plant has stated that he's not up for it-the other 2/3 are, so they're in order, imho. plus, page formed the band! and they've got a guy lined up, i believe...

8. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Lead Precedent

I always understood that from the beginning, the four members agreed they would only be Zeppelin together. The original reason they did not continue after Bonzo died. (I think the Beatles made the same agreement after they hired Ringo). That Jason could take his Dad's place was a kind of blessing for them all.

The Floyd never made a unanimous declaration, before or after Syd Barrett. Being the primary song-writer and self-proclaimed leader did not give Waters exclusive rights to use of the band name.

I'm pretty sure Jagger and Richards always own the Rolling Stones equally (don't know if management figures...). Sorry, Watts, Woods...

Where there is no precedent or written/contractual agreement, a simple majority of the original and/or interested/concerned band members is all that's necessary. YES may be the exception to everything I'm saying (unless Squire's the sole owner. Virtually everone's been in/out over the years).

If Robert approves of JP, JPJ and JB touring without him, I still don't think it would be LED ZEPPELIN. What made LZ so special was their unique combination of talent.

Still, there is no reason for the three not to make some kind of tour together, as long as there is no clear deception on their part about who they are touring as. For instance, "Led Zeppelin, with NoCelebrity (subbing for RP) on Vocals!":D Or "Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Jason Bonham with ME as special guest vocalist."

The advantage of not touring as LZ is they can do the retrospective of ZEP music and maybe branch out more than they otherwise would (and I'd finally have a backing band! How cheeky of me...). And it doesn't matter the name, their fans all know who they are and would still love them!

Roy in place of buddy Robert? A dream if it could happen, but I'm not holding my breath...

It seems somehow appropriate this is my 100th post. What is my new quote under my ID?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  9. NoCelebrity

Hmmm... Indeed!

Must be the contact high from my job with Capt. Kirk.

And who put the "Vote NOW" in my save button? ROTFL Just once? I've already voted three times!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  10. Colin L

Colin L Computer stained fingers

I was really excited when the rumors of a reunion were started, but less interested without Plant.
    Agree with Paula this would not be Nick's thing but for him to get his name known as the support act would be good.

11. scotpaulabear

Absolutely! I still meet tons of fans up here who say they first saw Nick when he support Plant at the Barrowlands and they've been into him ever since. Imagine what a whole tour would do :biggrin:

But if Page and JPJ can be Zep, why wasn't Page and Plant called Zep a few years ago? Hmmm... :wink:

12. wobbly bob

point taken about it not really being zep unless it's the 4 original members, which is obviously impossible. thing about agreements made in 1968 or 69, is that a lot happens in 40 years, especially to rock bands! circumstances change...!
    i thought the beatles stopped touring because they couldn't hear themselves above all the silly girl screaming...? and they knew they'd make better music if they concentrated on studio work...?

i doubt, however, that anyone with even a passing interest in zep will think it's the 4 original members, even if they bill themselves as zep! i'd also be amazed if anyone didn't know that plant wasn't to be involved!

credit to plant for branching out and trying new stuff, and all, but zep is page's lifes work, and if he wants to do it, and presumably plant's ok with it-what's the problem?

13. wobbly bob

should the stones have changed their name after brian jones died? after all, it was his band before it was ***** and keef's...

so, who's going if what's left of zep go out as something else, and who'll boycott the tour if they go out as zep?

14. wobbly bob

at live aid, weren't page and plant going to go on as zep with plant's touring band, and without jones? i read a quote from jones himself which stated that. he got stroppy and said if it's called zep, then i'm going to be there. at which plant got all hissy and said 'do what you want' or words to that effect... sorry, can't remember every word.

the later page and plant project was possibly so called due to jones not being on very good terms with the other 2, or possibly just plant...?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  15. scotpaulabear

I'm sure I'll be boycotting if it costs as much as I suspect it would :wink:

16. NoCelebrity

Jpj

I remember ZEP getting a lifetime achievement award from Am Music something or other around 1995. JPJ accepted in NYC from "buddy" Tom Jones while JP/RP with 3 or 4 younger players watched from their rehearsal/warehouse around 4 a.m. GST. JPJ made a comment suggesting his American wife wasn't letting him tour or leave NY to be with his old mates, or he'd be with them. I thought her tune changed around '05 when the suggesting of CHARITY came up (and kids grew up?).

The band played "Black Dog" with slightly different lyric breaks. All warm and fuzzy between the old bandmates without a hint of tension. Jones was all grins, to the point of tears.

On a related note, didn't Yardbird's OTHER guitarist, Anthony "Top" Topham sign to a long-term deal to be guitarist for Tom Jones AND Engelbert Humperdinck?

17. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Even though I saw them early in their career, I've never been a great fan of Zep. For one reason or another, I've gradually bought most of their output from bargain bins and admit it's quite good; but it's never meant anything to me emotionally like John Martyn, Peter Green, Roy Harper, Steve Earle, Nick Harper, Neil Young, at their best. TBH I don't care what they do now.

Bob

18. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Good piece in today's Times The Knowledge supplement flagging up Mick Wall's new book on Led Zep (When Giants Walked The Earth).

I've put in for a review copy, but haven't seen the book. Am sure Roy gets a mention or two!

In this article he's namechecked as being at Bonham's 25th Laurel Canyon birthday party. Also quotes from the legendary 'Beep' Fallon, whom I mentioned before in another thread for a possible podcast candidate (BP, for those who don't know, was the band's PR).

19. wobbly bob

well... yeah, i'm sure it'll be very expensive. also, i can't see them playing many uk dates, either. and i'm sure the touts will have their noses in the trough big style, so half the tickets will be on ebay etc....

tbh, the days when zep was like a religion to me are long gone. idoubt i'd even try for a ticket....

20. wobbly bob

good for you, bob!