1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leeds City Varieties.

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by Uriel, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

Woo and indeed hoo. Same great standard as the Sheffield gig last night but what a turn up for the encore...

Nick doing Radio Silence with Jon Gomm playing lead / percussion guitar over the top of it. I was so excited I could have burst (obviously didn't as I've made it back to Sheffield and on the computer telling you lot about it). This was pretty much my musical equivalent of Moses and Elijah descending from heaven. I'd heard rumours this was happening but oh my giddy anne. To borrow a phrase from Nick, I feel like my dad just gave me an aeroplane. Quality.

Lovely venue too. Proper music theatre. Gutted I didn't know about it when I was a student in Leeds.

Like Crich last night, I forgot the fricken camera. Several people looked to be taking videos though and there was at least one guy wandering around with a professional looking video camera. I need to get my hands on it...

2. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Yep that encore ... was certainly something very special !!

The rest of the set-list was :

Mountain
    Aeroplane
    3 Magpies
    Guitarman
    Good Bus
    By My Rocket Comes Fire
    Treasure Island
    Real Life
    Cloth of Gold
    Simple
    Imaginery Friend
    Galaxy Song
    Blue Sky Thinking
    Love Is Music
    Stairway to Barnsley !! ( just intro by Jonn Gomm )
    Radio Silence ( With Jonn Gomm )

Overall a cracking gig ... though I did end up with a cracked neck, being sat at the front ... the stage being about 6 ft above me .. but at least I had loads of leg room. But also been on the first row meant we felt some serious bass ( especially during Guitar Man and LIM ) twas like having a massage !!

Nick obviously loved playing there ... said he had wanted to play there for years ... when he was reminded that he had played there before with his old man ... but Nick said that he wanted to play there ... without some pisser shouting for "Whiteman" !!

Great night ... just a pity he didn't play Evo like he did in sheffs !!

3. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

Slightly different structure to Love is Music this time. We got Blur's Out of Time thrown in again, as well as Grace, four sticks and the usual Headless.

Edit: I was on row F and you could feel the bass there too. Was getting right into my chair and vibrating my bum. I was looking round for some monster subwoofer during the interval. Great sounding gig.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  4. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Wowzer!

Oh, fantastic! You may have read Jon's post on here about his wish to join Nick on stage - which I duly conveyed to him - so Jon must have been truly rapt with that.

You lot will all be getting greedy now and wanting that every show!

Well...I am hoping for one surprise more at least!

5. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

*faints with excitement* :biggrin:

Oi! Moxon! I thought you were taking this weekend off cos you're going to t'tunnels next week... :wink:

6. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Sounds like a superb gig. I've always wanted to see jonn ever since i heard about him on here, but something came up and i couldn't go to the liverpool one last year.

Anyway, i'm quite jealous! Wish i'd gone, but i needed my bed...

7. HarperPR

What - no Titties & Beer??? There is a god then - hee hee ha ha!

8. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Hopefully he's saving that for the Citadel Linn :thumbup:

9. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Aye that was the original plan ... but then work is so crap these days ... I needed to get away from it all ... and what better way than 3 nick gigs ?!? Though I'll probably feel different tomorrow when I start my 202 mile drive home with a hangover !!

10. performingchimp

performingchimp I've got a zappy little nappy

<snip>Hi Jon and Nastasha,

The review and photos from the show on Saturday at Leeds City Varieties are online now;

http://www.egigs.co.uk/index.php?a=12097

http://www.egigs.co.uk/index.php?p=7499&d=2008-02-02

http://www.egigs.co.uk/index.php?p=506&d=2008-02-02

Thanks, I hope you enjoyed it and see you again soon,

Danielle x</snip>

I'm just going to take a look now!

Thanks everyone for coming, I had an amazing night! I was out with Nick til 4.30am, not sure how he has the stamina while on tour! Same thing happened in Scarborough last year - out til ridiculous o'clock, then I dragged myself up for breakfast at 9am at the hotel, and apparently Nick had already eaten and left! Hardcore.

Jon

11. performingchimp

performingchimp I've got a zappy little nappy

PS if anyone has a photo of the duet, I'd really like a copy!

12. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

A legend on and off stage, what can we say :rofl:

Jon, so happy you had such a great night! I can't wait to see ya in a few weeks. I owe you a beer or 10 I'm sure :D (oh and if you do get a duet pic, please share!)

13. HarperPR

Thanks Jon - but we already had this up yesterday! :biggrin:

See under Press + Media.