1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legends DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveT, May 10, 2011.

1. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Royal Mail USPS Express!

Wow! Even over a weekend it took only FIVE days to get the DVD. The cheap rate has always gotten my deliveries of ROY quickly and saves lots of money! Hoping more Roy will arrive today from the shop! The estimated delivery date was 26-29 July 2011 (shh, it's a secret that the trans-Atlantic Mail is better than land service).

Roy is absolutely AMAZING! This is always the case, but a year without gigging, and even with his playing pared down to the essential minimum at times, and all I can say is WOW!

I watched it all last night, and a couple "encores." I am a little confused that I didn't recognize as many names as I expected in the "guest list." Were there some typos (pd?) and aliases used? At least Andi's name was on the list. I wonder who that familiar face was caught with tears at the end of "Another Day?" Did Roy's friend get a haircut, or did I see who I wanted to see?

The DVD played perfectly here on my American player (unlike BtheD which only plays on my newest Mac). I notice interesting snippets of rehearsals on the menu screens. Roy mentions they've always gone "flat" but now they've done "this." Which I assume refers to the fact his guitar is tuned UP a semi-tone so I can't play along as easily on the easy parts (and those impossible vocal notes go even higher!!!). Then he mentions in the interview he "lost it" in the second half, because the audience began to lead him v. Roy staying aloof and in charge. I say who cares, Roy's fans love every chance to see him perform under a variety of situations.

Congratulations, Roy! A complete tour de force!

I'd been listening to my new download of "Once" in the meantime. I started parsing "Black Cloud..." for the lyrics, but now several songs hang in my head (thanks partly to the podcasts). I tried to order the CD in the past, based on others' reviews, but it had run out.

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

They misspelled my name as Davidson despite getting Vicky's right. I should be used to it by now, as it happens a lot, but it still bugs me! I believe Tracy spotted it on their preview copy and tried to get it changed but too late :)

Yes, it's a great disk. I thought he was terrific especially since, as you say, he's been "out of the loop" for so long lately.

Roy's gigs have always depended on a certain dynamic between artist and audience, which is one of the reasons they are so engaging, and the audience was certainly enthusiastic and "in the moment" that night.

Want to be interviewed for the podcast as a transatlantic fan, NC? I need more victims, I mean volunteers :)

3. NoCelebrity

Typical Typo?

Actually, they misspelled your name as "Davis" on both my DVD liner and the credit roll (unless they deleted you entirely). Amazingly, without magnification my eyes picked out some other typos and inconsistencies between the print and video lists, including a "Classica Rock" on the VIDEO but not the inside cover.

So that WAS you at the end playing Oliver Twist. "Please Sir, we'd all like some more..."

As for your request... Right now I'm leaning towards "Yes." I hope to pm you some biographical info, etc. in the next week so you still have an opportunity to withdraw your offer.:wink: Or at least you'll have the best pre-interview you've ever done. I know I'm not perfect at following through on all my declared wishes and desires on this forum, but it will certainly be a pleasure to discuss Roy with you, Paul. Especially if I can raise the awareness of Roy, his words, and his music.

4. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Doh! You're right of course. I'm so used to the Davidson misspelling that I wrote that out yesterday without even thinking. That's old age for you :)

Sending you a PM re the other stuff!

Paul.

5. NoCelebrity

"Who" are you!

Well, at least they didn't spell it "Peter" Davison.

(Actually, that always helped me remember how to spell your last name.)