1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifemask!

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by SHAUN I, Jan 24, 2008.

1. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I've been listening to Lifemask a lot recently (although I've played it steadily since the age of 18) I haven't got a favorite RH album I love 99% of them but this has always held that special something for me along with COFGS.

When I first got into Roy's music I was young and carefree flitting from one new experience to the next, subsequently memories of songs such as the raw statement of Highway Blues, the haunting South Africa, Little Lady and the amazingly thought provoking epic The Lords Prayer never fail to transport me to the late 80's when I signed on and smoked hash for a living.

I was married at a young age and was experiencing severe relationship difficulties at the time, Lifemask was my escape at that time a sort of sanctuary where I withdrew to. Its strange how certain songs can evoke and preserve the emotion of particular life changing events, it's very apt to me that Roy named this album Lifemask.

I often think this album is under played and under rated in some ways, however it gets plenty of airplay on my media player, I sometimes wonder if this album has a similar effect on others or is it just me? Definitely food for thought!

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Lifemask

"Me and my friends tell you what we're going to do, really no secret now that we are telling you, we're collecting the falling dreams and taking them back to the coal fire seams and spending our lives painting them green!"

Yeah before you say anything, I know the above quote is from another album, but when me and my friends first heard Lifemask this is how I can describe the experience the best. It literally blew us away with and without enhancements from certain substances. It can literally transport you to those other theatres in your mind as Aldous Huxley/Tim O'Leary would try to explain. The Lords Prayer was a trip in itself and whether it's prog or psycho poetic folk I just don't care as I regard it as unclassifiable. In fact I'm going to play it now on headphones on my new MP4 player just to take me back to where I used to belong...

chrs
    andi

3. pH

pH I've got a zappy little nappy

Folks,

All of the above ...

I have it in the car at the moment and have done for about three months. I clearly need to get it back in the house and on to the Advent speakers again.

Bank of The Dead.

Pete

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Lifemask [cont...]

The Lords Prayer is discussed succintly on Paul's Podcast 2 with Nick Lane.
    And played after their discussion!

aw:21::54:

5. Enjay

Enjay The Old Git on the Bus

The Lords Prayer

Somewhere, Roy said 'It's only a movie'...

But a helluva flick, all the same!

Nick

6. Marcie

Marcie I've got a zappy little nappy

If memory serves, "South Africa" was the first Roy Harper song I ever heard. Lifemask remains one of my favourite albums. Hopefully soon, when budget allows, I'll be able to augment my CD collection with my fave RH disks (which I only have on vinyl).

7. madness

madness I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi love lifemask Lords Prayer my favourite on that Album, the evry first Album i listened to was Flat Baruque and Bersek and White man followed by Goodbye were the best but i can honestly say that all of Roys recordings have touched a part of me.:)

8. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

I had my iPod on random play this evening and was pleasantly arrrested by Bank of the Dead. When this comes up in the film "Made", it is totally believable that Roy's character, Mike Preston, is a true rock star. Great stuff.

9. SHAUN I

Made!

Just as an add on does anyone know how to get a copy of Made? I have been trying for years but no joy as yet. seems to be as rare as the preverbial rockin horse wotsit. With all the hard core Harperites on here surely someone has a clue to where I could look - Cheers! :banghead:

Regards Shaun..

10. madness

madness I've got a zappy little nappy

it was a great video but i threw mine away in a fit of mental illness. Silly Girl
    :angry:

11. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Shaun, look into joining the Stormcock-vines list, I think you might find what you need there :biggrin:

12. SHAUN I

Thanks Paula already a member and unfortunately it isn't on the list..hopefully someone has very kindly steered me in the right direction thanks :biggrin:

13. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

I've got a version dubbed into Italian. Unfortunately I haven't got round to putting it onto DVD yet. In fact I haven't got round to watching much of it yet!

14. sughosh

sughosh I've got a zappy little nappy

Definitely an underrated record, perhaps perceived as a little intimidating because of the side-spanning Lord's prayer. I enjoy it throughly and think some of RH's most passionate moments are here - you can feel it on "Highway Blues" and "The Lord's Prayer" in particular.

15. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Hmm... perhaps it's in the orphanage then, as I definitely got it from the vine list. I didn't take a copy though... I do remember advertising it back on the list as a chance to see Roy's bare bum and the person I sent it to perpetuated this USP, so maybe this may help you track it down.

Bob:m9:

16. SHAUN I

"Made"

I've managed to sort a copy out now, but thanks a lot anyway Bob! :thumbup:

17. cmarchet

cmarchet I've got a zappy little nappy

Lord's Prayer

I absolutely love this song. The one thing I keep hoping for is...a remastered version with the drums and electric guitar brought way up, starting with the "whose technology is a tangent" part, building up to be thundering through the "whose words are jagged" section.

18. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

i really like the way the drums are mixed so low, and the way they build up and increase a bit in volume but then stop just as it gets to the peak. its definitly a bit of a tease but it gives the song a bit of a kick without diverting it into standard rock territory. highway blues has deadly drumming too - barely audible. i imagine it must have been a deliberate decision to mix them like that.

i could never understand why roy has taken such a dislike to Bank Of The Dead, i think its a great tune with a catchy chorus and excellent playing from JP

19. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

It's de-gauss!

I absolutely agree, it's a great song. Thank science that standard magnets aren't strong enough...

I suppose Roy may have felt it was "trite" or "cliche" or maybe too "blunt" after he wrote it, but it really is not. It doesn't seem to follow his usual formula which is somewhat anti-formulaic (suddenly I'm getting a headache trying to make my point!). Obviously, I'm just guessing...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008