1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luka Bloom

Discussion in 'General' started by SHAUN I, Jul 5, 2008.

1. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

After the recommendation in the last podcast, I got hold of Luka Bloom's album Riverside, what a great album! The more I listen to it the more it grows on me. He has a lot of stuff on Youtube too, there's also some great acoustic guitaring vids on his website, it's been a good few years since I discovered a great new artist through a recommendation..Cheers!:m2:

http://www.lukabloom.com/

2. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I've seen Luka a few times, he's not bad at all, but I'm not as "into him as I used to be". Still, he certainly had / has a wonderful guitar sound.

Shaun, if you liked Riverside, then your next purchase should be Turf or The Acoustic Motorbike. The Keeper of the Flame is also a good album, cover versions of some old classics, even Radiohead!

Be Well... (and that's another of his songs :wink:)

Trav.

3. SHAUN I

Thanks I'll definitely check them out, Amsterdam was going to be the next purchase, have you or anyone else here heard this album?

Cheers Shaun.

4. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Luka Bloom albums

I love Riverside and Acoustic Motorbike. I've just ordered Turf and Tribe from Amazon .. Well, Tribe would have cost nearly #20 on Amazon but a Marketplace seller had it for #6 plus p&p.

I've just downloaded a Best of John Fahey and Robbie Basho's Guitar Soli from eMusic. They're great acoustic guitar workouts, if that's what you're after. John Fahey made tons of albums, so this could be a great new enthusiasm :)

Bob

5. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I find Fahey a bit of a challenge at times :wink:

Michael Hedges is where I usually end up for some amazing acoustic performance. :m3:

6. SHAUN I

Thanks for the advice if they are as good as Luka Bloom (didn't realise he was Christy Moore's brother either) I will check them out, my mind is always open to new things, musically and otherwise. :biggrin: :m8:

Regards Shaun.

7. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

Robbie Basho is great. Im not normally a fan of instrumental acoustic finger pickers but i love basho, even more so when he sings. Visions Of The Country is my favorite of his albums at the moment, its got picking, singing and piano.

8. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

And don't forget, Gavin Moore (of the Clonakilty massive) is his nephew too - what a talented musical family :biggrin:
    http://www.myspace.com/mooregavin

9. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

I love Luka too. Been listening to Acoustic Motorbike lately. I've got a tape(!) somewhere of the interview he did with Richard Skinner in 198* just after Riverside came out, where he described his experiences living & playing in the USA. The song "This is your country" on "Motorbike" describes the tug of the homeland. Some really good stuff amongst his back catalogue.

10. Halfhorse

Halfhorse I've got a zappy little nappy

Moore Family

I also have riverside, and I will now check out all the other recommenadtions, Thanks.
    I asked Gavin one night before a gig at DeBarras if it was one of his CD's on the Stereo, and he said that it was Luka Bloom his Uncle, It so sounded like Gavin!
    Luka has a really good voice.
    Reminds me a lot of Paul Brady, does anyone know the chords to 'Living for the corperation'?

Cheers

Gee :wink:

11. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Bizarrely, I met Luka Bloom the other week. I was sat at a table in a certain music and drinking establishment with some friends and he joined us. I didn't know who he was until later.

I have Riverside as well and it's very good.

12. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Luka Bloom coming to Basingstoke!

22nd May at Central Studios, Queen Mary's College, Basingstoke where Nick played recently.

andi

13. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Going to see him at Bury Met, 16th May, can't wait.
    Sadly it's the same night as another gig I really wanted to go to (DOGS at Manchester MoHo). They'll have to miss out on my patronage, as I haven't seen Luka before and have always wanted to.

Saw Mike Heron supporting Robyn Hitchcock on Sunday by the way, really enjoyed it. (apropo of nothing much...)