1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Main site and forum integration work

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by pd, Apr 30, 2008.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I know a lot of you have been having issues with logging into the forums, and there has been much confusion due to having two places to register - at www.stormcock.net itself, and on the forums here.

I am going to try and rework the "bridge" code this week to fix all this, so this is a heads up that if I break it and you can't log in, please hang on in there while I work on it. I'm testing on a copy of the site first but often problems don't arise until real users get their hands on things. I'll post a reply here once I think things are working :)

2. pd

OK then. In *theory* the following is now in place:

1) If you originally registered at www.stormcock.net (the "front site" with news, podcasts etc) your account is carried over to the forums here, *including* your password and email info. You can login on the main site and be logged into the forums automatically as before, but if for some reason that doesn't work (browser problems etc) you should be able to log in on the forums here directly, and it will work.

2) If you originally registered just on the forums here, you didn't have a login on the main site before. Now, if you try to log in on the main site it'll discover your forums account and carry it over and set things up for you.

The main site is the central user registry, so if you change your password on the main site, it gets carried over to the forum. If you change your password on the forum, it won't affect the main site password and it may get overwritten with your main site password if you do account updates on the main site.

That's probably all as clear as mud. Anyway let's see how it goes.

3. Enjay

Enjay The Old Git on the Bus

Password access

Er...

I think I got in.

:thumbup1:

Nick

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Well I'm in, so it must be working somehow! Don't ask me to explain though the methodology behind the madness though please! My brains hurting already and only read Paul's explanation twice!

andi :confused1::blushing::bored:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  5. pd

I've updated the forum software to 3.7. This includes a number of new features, which I'll leave you to discover :biggrin:

I have also enabled the fancy "What you see is what you get" editor for all users. If this causes problems (e.g. for people on mobile phones) you can alter this via the "User CP" -> "Edit Options" and at the bottom set Message Editor Interface to "Standard Editor"

Cheers

Paul.

6. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

For the last 24 hours or so, this site has been really sticky trying to connect to via Opera. Is it just me or has something taken place? 4 out of 5 attempts are timed out. Very frustrating! Was okay before early hours of Sunday and I have no probs with any other site.

7. pd

I believe you're the person that was browing the site over the weekend from an Opera mobile browser and causing the anti hacker alerts to trigger. I updated some security software and it was set a little too sensitive; the opera stuff sends lots of requests to the server in a small period of time and the heuristics of the hacking prevention stuff thought it was you being naughty.

I altered these settings late on Sunday, please do let me know if you continue having problems, Linn.

8. HarperPR

Oh gawd, trust me to wreck the system - ha! Can't be 'naughty' now either! But I can't be the only one using a phone a lot for this surely? I usually do when out or away from office, but not enough to trigger alerts. Big Brother is watching...

9. pd

Don't worry, if you misbehave too much I'll just send the giant white ball out to get you. So if you hear that distant roaring sound...

Actually, the opera stuff works weirdly and it's not your fault at all. I think requests go through some sort of proxy server and it deals with re-jigging content for a mobile screen. The weird thing is that the requests don't always come from the same actual client address, they come from various ones all "close to each other" in networking terms, and so it looks a little suspect if you're watching for hijacking attempts and the like...

10. pd

I may have found and fixed the final problem that was stopping people from remaining logged in properly on the forums (particularly if they had stuff bookmarked from stormcock.net rather than www.stormcock.net).

11. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Don't think so, Paul: I just had to log in again. I was logged in, then it dropped ...

12. HarperPR

I miss the upcoming birthdays on the main page, likewise the latest forum posts. Where did they go?:confused1: They were handy to have a quick shufty at immediately.

13. pd

Upcoming birthdays is still on the main page, on the left now, since I removed the right column.

I removed the forum posts block as I needed to cut down on the amount of info on the main page, but there is a forum summary that tells you how many new posts you have, whether you have any private messages...

14. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Call me Mr Picky but I would feel a lot more comfortable if it said "Forthcoming Birthdays".

15. HarperPR

I don't see a box there anywhere for birthdays?:confused1:

I don't think I see a forum summary when I log in either on the main page - used to before you changed it. Not now though, either on Opera or the computer.

16. Marcie

Marcie I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi Linn,

You need to scroll down the page a bit once you've logged in - but it's all there on the left hand side. :)

17. pd

OK, that was an easy one to change :)

18. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Blimey, it's almost like having a magic wand. Thanks Paul, I am now at peace with the world. :biggrin:

19. HarperPR

Yes, by jove it is too! But only when logging in from main page - which I usually don't hence why I didn't see