1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man & Myth poll

Discussion in 'General' started by aspwatterson, Oct 3, 2013.

?

Favourite track?

Poll closed May 3, 2014.
  1. The Enemy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Time is Temporary

23.1%
  3. January Man

61.5%
  4. The Stranger

23.1%
  5. Cloud Cuckooland

7.7%
  6. Heaven is Here

38.5%
  7. The Exile

38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Am experimenting with Paul's new Forum format so please choose your favourite track on Man & Myth..
    pressing the button...here goes...

Shite! Spelt Cuckooland wrong!!

2. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

A vote each for January Man and The Stranger

3. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

Can't choose one. January Man and can't think of Heaven is Here and The Exile separately.

4. aspwatterson

Only realised it was multiple choice until I'd made my choice unfortun...

5. JonDoe

JonDoe I've got a zappy little nappy

voted for January man but Heaven ran it close.

6. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Voted for "Heaven is Here," which I believe will be a favorite the more you listen to it (see my 750 word review under 'It's here!'). I tend to listen to "Cloud Cuckooland," "Heaven Is Here" and "The Exile" as a complete set, and the first four songs as another set. "Cloud Cuckooland's" refrain seems so appropriate for the current budget stalemate in Washington, D.C.

7. NoCelebrity

I agree completely. The false ending of "The Exile" with an interesting afterthought to "Heaven is Here" certainly suggests it was Roy's intent!

8. aspwatterson

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  9. NoCelebrity

Well, I haven't posted in a while, but I still listen to Roy almost every day, and especially this album. It just keeps growing on me, especially "The Stranger" and "Heaven is Here."

Can't get over the beauty and imagery of "Swept the sky with tears/ for a million years/ willing the sun to shine/ one last time/ just to be there where your sweet rainbow fell..." from The Stranger.

So inspired, I finished a new lyric I am posting next under a new thread, its title "What is ODE to Roy." I have the music and melody too, but it will take a while to fit it all together.

aspwatterson likes this.
  10. Shane

It's one of my very favorite of his songs, although I think the solo live versions are better - rawer and more ragged. I'm not mad about those hammy Kashmir mandolins

11. NoCelebrity

First, let me say, "I HATE YOU." But only because I don't get to see these live performances you rave about. Funny, I don't mind the mandolins, love the violins, and I love love the double basses on the album (if that's what they are, reminds me of Joni Mitchell's "Night Ride Home"). None of the strings seem over-stated. The Sax is a bit jarring at the open of "Cloud Cuckooland," but I like it better as the song progresses. My perspective is as someone who sings along, and boy does my voice blend into Roy's for most of "Cloud" and "Heaven is Here." That's the closest I can get to Roy. (and meeting Nick after his set at The Abbey Pub in Chicago a few years back)

(please also check out the new thread I created "What is ODE to Roy" under WORDS & LYRICS.)

aspwatterson likes this.
  12. Shane

My records indicate that I first heard him play The Stranger at DeBarras in 2004 - it's been around a while. Not sure if this kinda thing is acceptable or frowned upon but here is a live version from 2007
    https://soundcloud.com/shcu/the-stranger

Does anyone regret that Pan didn't make the album?

aspwatterson likes this.
  13. aspwatterson

Currently we have so many sad news stories re celebs and plebs; I am starting to turn the News on the telly off each nite! I have tended to sleep with the news on all night for the last few decades, to keep in touch with something people call the real world... plus the fact, have had to attend to four close friend's demises recently.. but still in philosophically good mood when the Doc manages to conquer my smoking habit.. etc... 60 now, got to chill, stress free man.. pinancles attainable are for the young un's methinks...

Without digressing too much, and with a sharp eye on the sky as far as far as RH is concerned, I am reminded of this :

" A million tons of printed shit come through my door each day, Up to my dick around my neck..." Amazing fore-sighttful stuff "Welcome to my nightmare....."..must go and listen to it again...it's so succinct about everything and this plastic world we currently inhabit as nomenclatured / classified / genre-ridden beings : sumting called human !!! They're havin' a larf...it ain't me that's losing it; it's the rest of them!

Good to hear from you NC; was wondering if your creative juices were still flowing bro... Take care... c u on the ice...nice...

Andi

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014