1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meetup in London, November 5th, pre-gig

Discussion in 'General' started by pd, Oct 14, 2011.

1. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

I think its the waterloo travel lodge that I am in, but I am with friends who may or may not want to come to the meet so I cant promise that I will be there.

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Hopefully..

-ditto-

Managed to get three tickets for my family reunion! Two of us in the balcony and two in the choir stalls. Reminds me of courting my wife [ and some potentials] with Roy's songs all those years ago! They may not attend the preamble getogether though as they tend to be nervous about wet places and me! Best behaviour Watterson; with Ian as a minder/reminder! Nick's gig and meet up will be a sounding plate in more ways than one....

Anyone else got memories of utilising Roy as an aide to romance? Most ladies listening to him would be charmed methinks!

Andi

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. Alan Cynic

Alan Cynic Computer stained fingers

I took my first long-term girlfriend to see Roy at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in '75. We stayed in a wee hotel overnight.
    *sigh*

4. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I don't think I like the idea of a wee hotel.

(Sorry, it's being one of those days here) :)

5. Alan Cynic

I'm still waiting to see if a friend will meet me in the afternoon... so a similar situation. Hopefully I'll convince them that a 'sophistication' of Harper beggars will be a great bunch! :)

6. Poor Man

Poor Man I've got a zappy little nappy

For beginners, a miracle!

Became the last loony to get a hand back up onto the bus last night when a returned balcony ticket was up for sale! So see all you forumites in the Wellington on Saturday!

You (and Roy?) might be pleased to know it wasn't divine intervention, because there are a couple of tickets going tonight (and the 60th gig definitely wasn't a sell-out, with plenty of touts offering spares), but it certainly feels like destiny!

Can't imagine there'll be any problem on the birdwatching front as far as the pub gathering goes (cold toes, warm ears etc), but I might sport a couple of remembrance poppies for identity's sake - one for sorrow, two for Roy!

7. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Don't forget if there are plenty of touts at a gig, then it probably means it IS a sell-out !! It might not be full ( if the touts can't get rid of them all ) but at least the artist will get the money for a full house !!

8. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious I've got a zappy little nappy

Support is Jonathon Wilson - worth seeing

9. Poor Man

Poor Man I've got a zappy little nappy

Support Act

I reckon the main support act is QPR v Man City on Sky or at Loftus Road at 17.30! Can imagine Roy chilling to his team for sentiment's sake, whatever their new financial politics, b4 going into a live performance zone himself. Has to be better backstage prep than just a large bag of crisps (Oxford Poly '76-ish)!

As far as the footy goes, there's a gulf in class, but will it just be a routine win? If it was cricket, we might have got a 'Happy Official 70th Birthday Roy' streaker / banner, but being the lesser sport you might just have to settle for a few quid at 200/1 on 7-0........

What are the odds on three generations of the Harper dynasty being on stage together? Also reckon we may be privileged to have Tony Frankllin and Mr Mercurius Flavius up there with Nick. So let's hope for some wild 1948-ish stuff to resurrect the soul of the dead cathedral that the RFH can be: could there even be a Lord's Prayer as well as a Highway Blues? And with Bert Jansch and David Bedford beyond the door, there has to be a special place for their acknowledgement and celebration, surely? Whatever, it will be one of those days in England another age willl never know...... Have fun!

10. sandy

sandy I've got a zappy little nappy

Posting here as I have 2 spare tickets for tonight's special event

I shall be their with my wife, but the couple we were planning to meet now cannot make it, hence 2 spare tickets!

You can find them on eBay, or simpler still, contact me directly (I will cancel the eBay auction).

If you would like to buy the tickets we can meet up either at the RFH or in the pub before the gig.

Call 07921 495663 or 0208 364 8426, or email sandy.eisen@btinternet.com

Cheers

Sandy

PS I am fan, not a tout

11. sandy

sandy I've got a zappy little nappy

Well it was a great night, as I expct you all know by now.

(sold my spare tickets at the RFH)

Can anybody post the full set list?

12. lifemask241

lifemask241 Guest

Last night's gig

What a wonderful and moving experience and good to see Page with Roy.

On a more negative note, is it me are there quite a few too many elderly exhibitionist knobs in Roy's audience?

On stage we had an old man talking to his audience, possibly for one of the last times, whilst drunken louts old enough to know better kept interrupting him.

At one point he was interrupted whilst trying to introduce his own son for god's sake.

IMHO

13. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Vi-curious Experience

That would be greatly appreciated by me too, and probably all those who couldn't be there!

14. Alan Cynic

Think this is more or less correct...

Highway blues
    Frozen moment
    North country girl
    I'll see you again
    Me & my woman ( with Nick)
    Hallucinating light ( with Nick)
    Commune
    12 hours of sunset
    I hate the white man
    Another day ( with Joanna)
    When an old cricketer leaves the crease
    Same old rock (with Jimmy)
    Happy birthday to you ( us)
    Green man

15. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

Andi did you only go with family or did you meet up with friends when there?

Im asking because when I returned home from London I had an email, from an old school friend that Ive only seen twice since I was 18 and she had seen me outside as she was running for her train with friends(one of whom was going to see Nick the following week and was from Basingstoke).

16. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Just...

JJ/

Just me and family. If you're in touch with your friend please tell her that there's an open mic at Central Studios, Queen Mary's college on 2nd December and every month. I can't go because of an early Xmas works do. Also Nick playing there on 24th February 2012. Always pleased to meet a Harper fan!

Andi