1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mercury Prize 2010

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Jul 20, 2010.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Seen the nominees?

Am so so SO chuffed Villagers are there. Well deserved. But disappointed Stornoway aren't. And can't understand why Corinne Bailey Rae and Paul Weller are nominated? Can see why Mumford & Sons are, even though I don't like them and can't exactly get with all the hype.

Biffy Clyro – Only Revolutions
    Corinne Bailey Rae – The Sea
    Dizzee Rascal – Tongue N' Cheek
    Kit Downes Trio – Golden
    Foals – Total Life Forever
    I Am Kloot – Sky At Night
    Laura Marling – I Speak Because I Can
    Mumford And Sons – Sigh No More
    Paul Weller – Wake Up The Nation
    Villagers – Becoming A Jackal
    Wild Beasts – Two Dancers
    The XX – XX

If you're a gambling man, here's a look at the odds for all the nominees...

Dizzee Rascal - 4/1
    The XX - 4/1
    Paul Weller - 6/1
    Corinne Bailey Rae - 6/1
    Mumford And Sons - 6/1
    Foals - 8/1
    Biffy Clyro - 8/1
    Villagers - 10/1
    Kit Downes Trio - 10/1
    I Am Kloot - 10/1

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Ironic that Laura Marling has the best album (IMHO) and isn't even in those odds... but that said it is Weller's best album since Stanley Road by about a country mile...

3. HarperPR

Latest William Hill odds have The XX 5/2, Dizzee + Wild Beasts 5/1, Bailey Rae and Marling 7/1 followed by Foals and Biffy at 9/1.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  4. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

The name Paul Weller seems strangely out of place in that list to me, I'm a little worried that this is all the music industry has to offer in the way of nominations for a Mercury prize. IMHO it's all about mainstream album sales these days, talent will never equate to how many units sold, very little attention is paid to artist integrity or musical value.. (Nick is streets ahead of all of these nominees!)
    :rant:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
  5. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Oh God please don't let Dopy Dizzy Bastard win it. What is he for?

6. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Well I thought Paul Weller disappeared up his backside for a good decade or so there, but that album is actually really good, very fresh and innovative (for him :wink: ) - even got Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine kicking his arse and doing some bleeping and blooping. I find it a good listen, and haven't been able to say that since Stanley Road.

Weller says he's a Broadcast fan now, and even my boy and I think their latest album was a bit hard going on the 'but where are the songs' front - so obtuse indie music is the new Nick Drake? :D

And Pete, the best Guardian cartoon I ever saw was (after Dizzee's first album/Mercury win) a guy super intently listening to his iPod with a furrowed brow, his friend asks what he's doing and he's all "Oh no now you've distracted me! I was trying to get Dizzee Rascal!" :D

7. HarperPR

Collectively the dozen shortlisted
    albums for the Barclaycard
    Mercury Prize have sold more
    than 1.6m copies according to the
    OCC. The nominations include
    nine albums that have enjoyed top
    40 chart positions already and
    four that have made it as far as
    the top five. Below is a list of the
    nominated albums’ achievements
    prior to their being shortlisted.
    Artist - Album - Chart Peak -
    Sales to date
    DIZZEE RASCAL - TONGUE N'
    CHEEK.
    Chart peak = 3 Sales to date =
    PAUL WELLER WAKE UP THE
    NATION
    Chart peak = 2 Sales to date =
    BIFFY CLYRO ONLY
    REVOLUTIONS
    Chart peak =8 Sales to date =
    LAURA MARLING I SPEAK
    BECAUSE I CAN
    Chart peak = 4 Sales to date =
    CORINNE BAILEY RAE THE SEA
    Chart peak = 5 Sales to date =
    MUMFORD & SONS SIGH NO
    MORE
    Chart peak = 6 Sales to date =
    FOALS TOTAL LIFE FOREVER
    Chart peak = 8 Sales to date =
    I AM KLOOT SKY AT NIGHT
    Chart peak = 24 Sales to date =
    XX XX
    Chart peak = 31 Sales to date =
    VILLAGERS BECOMING A
    JACKAL
    Chart peak = 85 Sales to date =
    WILD BEASTS TWO DANCERS
    Chart peak = 68 Sales to date =
    KIT DOWNES TRIO GOLDEN
    Chart peak = n/a Sales to date =

8. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

That's a shame !! In the olden days the Mercury prize used to be loads of bands/acts that most people hadn't heard off ... that list ( except the last 3 ) just seems to topical to me !!

9. HarperPR

You can be sure, too, that all those nominated are going to put on sales between now and the winner announcement. I remember last year that Speech Debelle had within literally hours of her winning, increased sales by some ludicrous amount like 1200% (yes, that was meant to have two zeros! :D). Then what have we heard from her since?

It is all an industry thing really, isn't it?

I just wonder how Kit Downes got there and who, bar the music press, had heard of them on only having sold 310?

10. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Villagers only sold 6 thousand CDs? Surely not?

+A

11. HarperPR

Apparently so, at least from these figures. Just not that known to a lot of people. But the music press adore them. The Sunday Times called Jackal 'a beautiful and remarkable debut'. Don't get much better than that.

And, they're playing 2 nights at the Old Vic Tunnels in a few weeks. Count me in for the 6th and 7th time!

12. bigchris

I don't think Timeout agrees with you ... they have them at 100/1 in winning the mercury prize ... along with a rather damning comment "A rare taste malfunction from the normally impeccable Domino Records, boring goth-folkies Villagers are one of the shortlist's many suprise entries. It's hard to write about Villagers without falling asleep at the keyboard, so let's just draw a line under them and move on."

13. HarperPR

Time Out...? Well, hardly Guardian, Times, NME et al are they! :wink:

All reviews are just one person's opinion anyway, aren't they? Two people can watch the exact same artist, and whilst one might rate it the best thing he's ever seen, the other may think it's utter bilge!

(Tell, you what is a bit good though, this Mark Chadwick debut album...in parts...so far...one track is quite stunning and another is rockin my boat fairly well too! :wink:)

14. bigchris

Wot ? What's so special about those papers ?

Yep ... I agree ... so what is the point in reviews ?!?!?!?

Yeah but we might think it's bilge ?!?!?!

15. HarperPR

You looking for a debate, Big Man?!:biggrin:

There are probably a dozen, if that, 'heavyweights' that most artists aspire to getting a favourable review from. Not least, in the case of the Mercury Prize, because some are on the judging panel.

If someone is a fan of an artist then no, probably a review either way is not going to influence them. But they still do matter obviously, otherwise reviewers and critics would all be redundant.

I think there are some tracks here from the album. On mobile so can't see at the moment.
    http://www.myspace.com/markchadwickofficial

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  16. SHAUN I

So The Villagers is a guy..not really my cup of tea, very basic to be honest, nothing that thousands of others couldn't do.. If this guy can get on Jools Holland and get exposure for being very mediocre, then why can't someone sort it out to get Nick on?

Judge for yourselves..

[youtube]S3sBblnrGik[/youtube]

17. HarperPR

Live, it is Conor + band. And he is far from mediocre. Whatever rocks your boat. The talent of O'Brien and why I imagine he has been nominated, lies in the complexity and scope of his work, and the texture of his arrangements. So rare and so beautiful in a young man.

18. HarperPR

Here you go, Shaun, this is why

Villagers wow the big city for first Old Vic Tunnels gig. http://dlvr.it/3Qd5q

19. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Some people just have no taste!

+A

20. SHAUN I

My point exactly! :D