1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mercury Prize 2010

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Heh heh.

(I honestly don't get the 'basic' accusation though. Basic can be good, see Neil Young, Bob Dylan, erm... Roy Harper even!! None of them are master musicians / instrumentalists ... it's all in the passion and the songwriting).

+A

2. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

When I say basic, I mean nothing special, it just didn't grab my attention, obviously music affects people in different ways, this just didn't do it for me, I suppose it illustrates just how subjective personal music choice is.

3. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Quite, Shaun, which is what I said to Chris in post earlier.

What do you think of I Am Kloot? Been around for ages but seemed to have been overshadowed by Elbow. Check out the Christopher Eccleston vid for 'Proof'.

4. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Never heard any of their stuff Linn, nor Elbow, I'll be honest, I don't find much time to seek out new bands these days, and don't consume modern music much at all. So much music, so little time. I will check them out on youtube though, cheers.

5. HarperPR

Well, we finally get to know who has scouped the honour on Tuesday...

My top four, and any of which I would be happy enough to see win although not saying any of will, are: Villagers, The XX, Biffy, I Am Kloot.

6. HarperPR

Hot Mercury news – Paul Weller at centre of 'biggest turnaround in music betting for 40 years'
    http://bit.ly/aVlaiU

7. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

The XX are certainly doom-y fun but I have to say I'm surprised. I think I loved their album when I first heard it though... in 1983 :wink:

Gutted for Laura Marling - her album is in heavy rotation on my iTunes, she is just getting better with time IMHO. Third nomination will be the charm! And after hearing Weller speaking his usual rubbish during the show, I'm kinda glad he didn't win LOL.

Ah well, anyway only a few of those artists did nothing for me *cough*Villagers*cough*...

8. HarperPR

The XX - I am happy with that. Great album and they were always the hot favourite until this week (and word was that the rush of last minute betting on Weller in Birmingham 'may', allegedly, have had something to do with one of his band being a Brummie!).

Thought Conor gave a lovely performance of Becoming A Jackal. Apparently it was the Mumfords who really got the music industry crowd going. Have to say I don't find them quite as painful as I originally did, although their frontman is certainly growing on me a lot faster than their songs!