1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miracles For Beginners - your view

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by HarperPR, Jan 16, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

As it's been some months now since MFB came out and we've all had time to fully digest and take in the contents, what's the feel about this album now? I know, on initial hearings, some were saying it was the best work Nick had done to date, others still preferred BS/DL; while a few were undecided.

So, what's the view of it 7 months on?

2. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

it was on my birthday list, then my crimbly list and now i have *told* my taller half he is buying it for me on thursday next ;)
    i'll let you know friday :p
    my view so far .... i havent got him trained well enough!!

3. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I feel it's a better album than Bloodsongs or Treasure Island (I love the latter but it's a bit tricky). It wipes the floor with Smithereens (but not because of the songwriting, just the production/instrumentation). I think I'd put it about the same as "Harperspace" (which I like a lot). However I still prefer Seed out of all of them.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I'm a Seeder too! But that said, there are probably one or two tracks on all the albums that I really love, especially Bloodsongs.

5. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

It's great but ...

one of the comments about Blue Sky Thinking on Paradiso hit home: it is a bit of an annoying piece of guitar work at times... Not sure I like Field of the Cloth of Gold much either but the rest is great. Harperspace was the first of his that I heard and remains my favourite Nick studio album but Double Life is the best of all.

Bob

6. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

i've only heard field of the cloth of gold live and i absolutely love it! its one of them songs that plays in my head :D

amor mundi

hatty :)

7. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

Miracles is good, but Bloodsongs was superb

For me Bloodsongs is one of my favourite albums, not just of Nicks but any in my collection. That is some accolade. Harperspace is up high on my list too. Although there is some great stuff on Miracles, and some incredible guitar, as an overall album it hasn't surpassed Bloodsongs as far as I'm concerned.

Bloodsongs just flows so seemelessly from one song to the next.....
    how can it be beaten?

I'm going off to play it right now!

Craig

8. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

as of having it for just over a week, i am throughly enjoying it. infact i am glad i ripped it to the puter as it has disappeared to the van as my taller half has become quite taken with it.
    fav is still field of the cloth of gold, no1 son is loving evo and simple (he put it on his pod as soon as i had it in itunes), not sure about th, will ask him.
    i still like smithereens and double life, live albums are either really ****e, or very good, dl is the later :)

amor mundi

9. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

It sticks in my head too, but on an annoying level, I think it's the weak link on Miracles. I do think it's a good album and I prefer Nick acoustic, however I do enjoy Treasure Island, which I think is much underreated.

10. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I was hoping noone would ask me, I am sorry to say that I was rather underwhelmed by it. :w00t:

BS was good, and TI probably just needed a different running order (and the removal of the 'Bush speech' which cheapened the experience), but I had higher hopes for Miracles and I'm still struggling with it. There are some good ones, but a few that seem to be 'heading in the right direction' but 'turn off somewhere' leaving me unsated.

My jury is still out, but who am I to judge?

I'll keep trying.

11. peej

peej I've got a zappy little nappy

Miracles for Beginners

Although I first saw Nick in 1999, Miracles..., is the first album I bought and I love it, the only song I wasn't so keen on was Evo (until I saw it played live, last week), it has now grown on me. The songs I really like are; Miracles, Blue Sky, Field..., but my absolute fave is, Simple. I can't get it out of my head.
    I got BS and TI on Saturday, and was suprised that TI had a 'band' feel to it, not at all how Nick is live. 2nd fave album is currently, Harperspace as there are a lot of songs on that album he played at the 1999 gig.
    I've just been told the last two NH albums I ordered (Smithereens & Live) are on their way. As I will then have the lot, I hope Nick's working on a new one!

Peej