1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morris dancing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by aspwatterson, Dec 4, 2010.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

What do some of you seriously think about Morris Dancing?

Funny enough I seem to have gravitated to it somehow over the years.

Innocuous stuff spreading beer and harmony on this planet.

Askant philosophy. No harm done. Imagine you're a dreamer but not the only one. But in a seriously cognitive manner.

Andi

2. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Well, you did ask.

Here are my cards; there is a table on which to lay them: before I sought social asylum in this land of sanity, I was a Morris Dancer for a number of years.

From the following you will gather that I get very defensive about it.

Morris is a beautiful thing to do, and I get thoroughly irritated by the grinning fools who dismiss it with that idiot "incest and folk dancing" jibe. There is something quite magical about dancing in good English countryside on a warm summer's evening; there is something quite mystical about dancing the dawn of May Day.

I also get very irritated by those who lap up Scottish and Irish traditional music, for example, but scoff at the English equivalent. The former are honoured in their own countries; somehow the English seem to like to dismiss their own. Perhaps they agree with the appalling Jay Rayner (food critic, I believe) who, in 2009, stated (in a restaurant review, of all places) that, when he saw Morris Dancing, he looked for the next holocaust following close behind, because Morris is so "English".

As a tradition the Morris goes back, one way or another, hundreds of years. As an evocation of past times it is, perhaps, even stronger. But there is, of course, no single tradition. It has many roots, and many forms: all part of a rich and varied culture.

The tunes and steps are quintessentially English - the fact they many of them were recorded for the first time by Cecil Sharp and his fellows in the early 20th Century is something for which we should be eternally grateful.

No one really knows the origins; some Morris people get very irate at the suggested association with paganism; others lap it up.

Whatever the truths, the Morris has taken me to other countries, and it has introduced me to many, many fine people.
    Some of my best adult times have been spent in Morris company, whether dancing, playing, singing or simply getting quietly rat-arsed as the evening wears on.

Well, you did ask.

3. aspwatterson

Good..

Good reply Wee Steve! Ian Cropton would be proud of you!

A :wink:

4. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

5. aspwatterson