1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My latest obsession is...

Discussion in 'Anecdotes' started by HarperPR, Oct 28, 2008.

1. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Well that's it isn't it!?

I've often thought that the NHS is fundamentally flawed. I'm not saying I want it scrapped, I'm definately pro the whole idea, but if you take it to it's logical extreme it just doesn't work!

If you imagine that the NHS saves lives, which it does, then the average age people live to increases. Therefore, the more each person costs the NHS in treatment. Hence the funding must increase by the same amount increasing the tax bill on the working - as old people don't work. The logical way of fixing this is to increase the retirement age - which has happened!

Unfortunately, this argument is based around the same argument against Insurance schemes such as in the US, and excuse my ignorance, I don't know a huge amount about it, but, as people retire, they can no longer afford the premiums for the health insurance, so end up at their most vulnerable time without it!

Is it right to let some one die because they can't afford the treatment? Well on a humanitarian point of view, no. On a darwinian evolution point of view, yes! But then, these are recent situations we have created ourselves - and if we start selecting upon our criteria who can live on who can make the most money, are we creating a society that is then unfit for the next set of conditions that might occur?

Who knows. I'm about to get banned now for going off topic....! Sorry Paul!

2. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

Mmmmmmm.... got to agree with you there!

3. wobbly bob

right, i think it's time to draw the moderators attention to your bullying, now...!

:biggrin::wink:

4. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Yer love it really!:wink::reddevil:

5. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

A proper publicly financed health system is a prerequisite of a civilised society.

6. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

And likewise..

And likewise the opportunity of euthenasia and controls on population growth; otherwise, globally it ain't sustainable the way it's going. Finite resources equals finito.

andi

7. wobbly bob

bang to rights!:wink:

8. wobbly bob

roaming death squads, anyone...?

9. HarperPR

Does anybody watch The Home Show, C4, Thursday, 8pm? My latest crush: George Clarke *sigh*. There is something about that boy that is eminently fanciable, which is funny as I don't usually go for guys with northern accents. He just seems like such a nice guy (and a very good architect) and has a lovely sense of humour. I have been watching each week with a smile on my face! He also seems to show a genuine warmth and rapport with the home makeover participants. He tweets too - just how he comes over on't telly. All nice and cuddly *sigh*!

(do I need a doctor here?!)

10. wobbly bob

i watch it. i like it for different reasons, though.

also hooked on property snakes and ladders with the perpetually pregnant sarah beenie. love seeing all those 'property developer' chancers coming unstuck!

11. wobbly bob

well, thanks a lot!

12. HarperPR

I tweeted George and asked him if he'd do my place next series, but I couldn't pay him. He responded 'no cheque might be a problem'. Wondering if I could pay him 'in kind'?:wink:

I watch Sarah Beeny too - for different reasons though.:biggrin:

13. HarperPR

Nothing personal! Don't go for accents at all, probably because they just make me want to try them out myself.

14. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Snm

SNM say no more senora sayonara youtube is my obvious obssess at the mo!

SNM
    andi

15. telemonster

telemonster I've got a zappy little nappy

also gutted!

16. telemonster

you mean you fancy her?:wink:

17. telemonster

maybe i could do your house for you...:wink::wink:

18. HarperPR

No. Follow the plot: Wobbly said he watched The Home Show but for different reasons to me (ie not cos he fancies George), then I said...and so on!

It's gonna be a good Home Show tonight. The home owners hate what he does to their house. Think there's tears and tantrums - not from lovely George *sigh* though!

19. telemonster

great! i'm in!!:D

20. HarperPR

Did you see George *sigh* last night? I'd think I'd have felt a tad peeved too if I'd forked out over 120k and got no wardrobes and no en suite! George said this morning he should have just taken their original 70k and done them a nice loft and left the rest!

Best bits of show, where he was welling up (ah, bless) and when he donned the tight white t shirt and hard hat and started knocking the wall down. I like a man who's good with his hands!:biggrin: