1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My most memorable gig...

Discussion in 'Anecdotes' started by HarperPR, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Nick - Maybe the Borderline in 2003 (Gotta confess I'm not a regular due to travelling all the time :D)

Roy - Hmmm, too many to choose from, but maybe one of the Bloomsbury gigs c.1992/3 or even the San Francisco gig in 1998 (?) when I managed to obtain his autograph in my passport :D

And one of the absolute best was Ben Harper at the Greek Theatre in Berkley, California 2000. That gig was absolutely amazing! but I wouldn't go to see him again since there's now another guitarist playing in the band which takes some of the 'bite' out of things. http://www.benharper.net/?section=tour-dates&page=tour-archive&id=1511

2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Perhaps June 2000? :biggrin:

3. KarinB

KarinB Guest

Was it really that long ago. :w00t:

Thanks Paula.

4. MarkFerres

MarkFerres Guest

I think my most memorable was either the first time I saw Nick in The Room in Hull in 1996 - I had never heard of him but had been recommended by a friend.

This guy walked onto the stage, drinking something that I am sure was purple in a pint glass, sat down (!) and with very little announcement (the podcast says Nick used to be quite shy) burst into Riverside. I don't think I really need to convey on this forum how I reacted, but what was amazing was the reaction of the room en masse. I have never seen an entire room of people completely freeze, staring open mouthed at the stage.

The second most memorable gig was at Holmsfirth in 2002 / 2003 I think (Gig was memorable, year was less so). Unfortunately it nearly became very memorable for all the wrong reasons when me and my then girlfriend decided to dance to Headless (drink may have played a part in this decision). In the constant battle of rhythmic enthusiasm vs dancing talent, enthuisiasm won yet again and I nearly knocked Nick over during a particularly vigourous strumming section. He recovered without any indication that near disaster had been averted and I carried on dancing, less enthusiastically and feeling a total arse.

5. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

On this tour of Nick's, I don't think I am going to find one to beat Komedia, Brighton, for everything a good gig should be - before, during and after.:)

6. UK_Merlin

UK_Merlin I've got a zappy little nappy

My first gig was the best as I was so blown away by Roy's voice and music. A friend said come along you'll love it and if you don't enjoy it I'll pay for your ticket. It was at some club near Central Station, Newcastle, Work of Heart Tour around 1983. Roy had a band with him and that was the one and only time I saw him with a band.

I particularly remember "Short and Sweet", that was awesome.

I've seen Roy around 20 times since then and he never disappoints.

7. telemonster

telemonster I've got a zappy little nappy

most memorable gig

ac/dc at sheffield arena a few years back. great gig. came outside after-couldn't hear A THING! then after a bit i started hearing little 'splats' of noise, which eventually became longer and closer together. anyone old enough to remember norman collier will know what i mean.

really scary! thought i'd gone deaf! obviously done permanent damage to my hearing. GREAT!:thumbup1:

8. pixiefitz

pixiefitz I've got a zappy little nappy

my very first Harper gig....

The first time I saw Roy was at what was the famous Eric's club in Liverpool in about 1980 when it had been renamed Brady's. Roy did an acoustic set and he was wearing a bright red military style shirt and red pixie boots! (i know this as I took loads of photos :biggrin:). The next gig I went to was at Liverpool's Royal Court Theatre possibly the following year???? when I hung round after the gig like some stage door jenny clutching a handful of the afore mentioned photos, and Roy very kindly posed for some more piccies and signed some from the Brady's gig. To say I was well chuffed would be an understatement! :14:

9. scotpaulabear

Way cool, Pixie! :biggrin:
    (and to think my mom used to roll her eyes at my pixie boots :wink: )

10. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

Unfortunate outburst...

I saw Roy in the mid 80's at the International, Manchester. Whilst Roy was talking I knocked over my beer, exclaiming 'Sh*t' just a bit too loadly. Roy thought I was heckiling so retorted ' Yes I have one every morning'. I'm glad it never ended up on a live recording.

11. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

I saw Roy for the first time around that time at St.Helens Tech and bought a copy of Born in Captivity, which I still have. Probably '83 or '84. I have since given away nearly all my Vinyl but have all my Roy albums.

12. pixiefitz

Pictures of said events (if they've uploaded!), and from info on the pics, the Brady's gig was November 1980. My, aren't we all getting on a bit!

Attached Files:

13. scotpaulabear

Cool! And is that a Harpic I spot behind him... :wink:

14. pixiefitz

According to my notes on the back of the pic, it was Andy Roberts.......

15. scotpaulabear

Haha! My eyes must be blurry :wink:

16. pixiefitz

...... more likely the blurry picture :wink:

17. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I expect so! :) It would be a bit off to forget your son's name wouldn't it?!

Most memorable gig? That's tricky - memorable doesn't essentially mean good.

I worked at many, been to lots so i must have a think about it. That said, if it's memorable, then surely that'd be the first that comes to mind!

18. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Most fav gig?

I asked Roy this at Clon Gathering last year and he thought it had to be Festival Hall when they all came out of the musical woodwork to celebrate the genius wallpaper

andi

19. Cardinal Doomsday

Cardinal Doomsday I've got a zappy little nappy

I saw roy in Leeds a few times [well 3] the first time was at the Irish center and it was recorded for the inbetween ever line lp the second time i saw him he played at leeds universty in a small bar he was in a bad mood and didn't talk between songs.People where shouting for songs and he would just say "no" he did about an hour and went off dunno what that was about.But Roy angry is somehing you shouldn't miss can you imagine a angry version of 1984?.
    I also saw him at the irish center again my friend asked me to help with the pa [just carrying it nothing technical] and it turned out he was doing roys pa.Well i had a ticket anyway so we went early set up and roy came out to do a soundcheck ect and we talked to him for a while he singed a few album covers and showed Jacqui my american copy of hq [i think the one with the rules of cricket on it] and i was telling him how sorry i was for singing last time i saw him there.He laughed it off and said when rhey where playing back the tapes they had a good laugh about it.
    I just sat at the back [with the PA guy] and watched Roy sober and in perfect stereo and was just amazed i would have to say that's my favorite roy gig.

20. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Are you the classic, "Every Wednesday Morning..." crooner, then?