1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New album: THE LAST GUITAR

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by HarperPR, Mar 5, 2010.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Okay, folks, I will start a little thread for your views and comments on the 2010 offering from Nick: The Last Guitar.

When you have heard the album and digested it, let us know your verdict, what you think. We are all waiting! :)

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

The only thing I have to say about it is that there were no copies available at the Cambridge gig on Monday night so I don't have it yet. Not too happy about that ... :mad:

3. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

4. Roydan

Roydan Computer stained fingers

Will there be copies of The Last Guitar at Selby do you think? Or is mail order the way to go on this one?

5. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Ordered and Waiting!

Well, I got my order in, and I also ordered Miracles for Beginners (they were OUT last Fall). It'll take about a week(or less?), so I'll have to hear more reviews from you all while I wait. Brings my NH total to 7 CDs, and I'm also feeling the pressure to collect the remaining Roy. Is "Once" in stock again?

6. Rainbow

Rainbow I've got a zappy little nappy

The Last Guitar

Received a Nick newsletter in my e-mail this morning and ordered this latest addition to the Nick family ... my tenth!!:biggrin:

Spring is on the way and a new Harpic CD coming in with it ... after a long hard winter there is light at the end of my kennel!!:biggrin:

Best regards ... Rainbow:party:

7. HarperPR

Yes - to your first question!

8. Roydan

Roydan Computer stained fingers

Thanks Lynn :biggrin:

9. HarperPR

Really nice comment just got through from the manager of TJ + Murphy, who open for Nick in Liverpool, which I am sure he won't mind my quoting.

In reference to Passing Chord, from the new record: "******* hell, this is one of the best songs I've ever heard. And I don't say that lightly."

10. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Been bugging me why I recognized Tchad Blake's name (mixed the album) - I suspect it may have been with his work with Crowded House and the Dandy Warhols most of all, but he's a musical whirlwind!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tchad_Blake
    I love the line about "awkward sonic textures" :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  11. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Tchad Blake mixed Nicks new album? :47: I didn't know that....

12. katrina

katrina I've got a zappy little nappy

What a great album xxx definately recommend buying it -xxx

13. HarperPR

Coming up on Amazon Germany. Now we need some good comments. In German, of course. :)

http://bit.ly/cjUyCi

14. Travellerman

Done... at least I think so (it may take a while to appear though and my German is a little 'basic' :D)

15. HarperPR

Ich mag!:biggrin:

16. Travellerman

Sie mögen, was? Ich? :wink:

17. HarperPR

Erm...maybe I should do a google translate before I answer?! Are you asking do I like it?

18. NoCelebrity

My Deutsch is very basic too!

Das Harper CD (ist)...

...Sehr gut (very good)! Ausgezeichnet (excellent)! Wunderbar (wonderful)!

...gefallt mir (pleases me, umlaut over the "A," one or two "l"?).

Ich glaube es sehr viel (poor grammar for "I like it very much").

Couldn't find Mogen on my translator (how do you type umlauts, Mr. T-man?)

19. HarperPR

Have you heard the new album yet, NC?

20. NoCelebrity

Yes. I commented in a couple other posts about it. My German comments are the most generous.

I ordered it right away then listened to it a couple times along with Nick's previous CD (Miracles...) that had been out of stock. I like the first half well enough, but there is so much versus his live solo performance, I get kind of worn out before the end as I try to absorb it all. We'll see. It took me several more listens to pick out faves from his earlier work.

Is "The Last Guitar" a multiplicity of hidden messages about the state of the music biz, performing, or perhaps his emotional burnout being away from his family? I met, shook his hand, and raved quickly about his work at The Abbey Pub in Chicago last November. I didn't want to be a bother... Then I wondered if he just wanted to spend time in normal conversation with his fans. Are we too detached from our musical ICONS to give them the emotional reaction they need, or just the opportunity to de-compress and talk about ANYTHING ELSE?

"Pop Fiction" is a fun experiment that Nick could use for any number of social commentaries. I'm not sure where I would rank it among NH songs. I think the simple songs with simpler messages win our ears and our hearts more quickly (Karmageddon, Love Junky, By My Rocket..., Aeroplane--A guy's sentimental song with a beat). Nick knows how to grab our attention with these then make us think with more thoughtful lyrics, and wonder at his tremendous musical skill (guitar, vocals, composition) in other songs.

He's a well-rounded artist whose success should be measured in more than Dollars and Pfennig (and Pounds and Pence).

Loved the unusual singing style by Lily in "Silly Daddy." Made me listen.