1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New album: THE LAST GUITAR

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by HarperPR, Mar 5, 2010.

1. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Now I'm just rambling and self-indulgent...

My comments about our ICONS reflect my own dubious feelings about performing any of my own songs. I prefer interaction with others. I always wanted to write with others, but the axiom "musicians are flaky" seems more true than ever (except for ME, of course:wink:). I've made some rough recordings that seem to get approval from a few of my musical friends (those that will listen).

I don't need the income, and celebrity is a dubious honor. I identify with Roy when he hints he is done with touring for a few years (or more). Roy is one of my top ten influences and inspirations and always will be (and Nick is now part of that). I suppose I'll need to know if my songs are even worthy of that respect before I compare myself.

It is possible I'll try out one of my favorites soon at a local bar that has open jams on Thursdays. My friend Mary B. is encouraging me...

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  3. NoCelebrity

Just want to mention the album continues to grow on me. I've listened to it a few more times. The songs are more memorable and interesting to me like GOOD songs always are.

Maturity in a singer/songwriter is a tricky thing, but Nick continues to grow in my view!

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Hear hear!

Hear hear, hear hear,hear hear, mein heir No Celeb!

andi :m14::m14::m14:

5. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I'd agree with this, I'm really enjoying that I think Nick has done something new and not really what I'd expected with this album. I'm not sure why, but I was thinking he would go more acoustic with this, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not allergic to the electric in general. :D Like NC, I'm finding this album memorable. As well as intelligent. And infuriatingly catchy!

What is everyone else thinking? It's been a bit quiet here about it... mea culpa, I haven't really said much either but I'm juggling many work and family stuff after my US trip and just starting to get ahead of it now *whew*...

6. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Despite my initial enthusiasm, I haven't played it that much - lack of suitable opportunities - but I did play it back to back with Miracles the other day and much preferred The Last Guitar, despite skipping Pop Music which I now find tiresome. It's witty and well performed but you just don't need that lengthy spoken word stuff as often as you need music. Passing Chord is now my favourite track and One of the 38 is growing on me.

Cheers

Bob

7. NoCelebrity

Viral Audio! Infectious or Catchy?

Like Bob, I've been listening to Miracles and Last Guitar a lot together, since I acquired them both at the same time. I like Guitar more so far, but I'm trying to get caught up. Even trying to catch up on the podcasts so I can listen to Nick's comments in order (last).

Yesterday I started listening to Magic Feather because others were trying to TAB the guitar parts. I contributed some more (lead style), and now that song is stuck in my head along with "For You" off of Miracles. For You seems more pop than I usually like, but I've learned to like it too.

Is it still the Acoustic (live) versus mixed/electric/studio debate? I usually like to "learn" the song by the studio albums, then discover the artist exploring the boundaries when live. That's why it's mostly Roy's live stuff that I have left to buy (and I love "Miles Remains" live the MOST!).

So SPB, Andi, Bob, et al.-- Glad it continues to grow on us!

It's time for the rest of the world to CATCH up!

P.S. There are many parts to every song, so I find Nick's composition of the song parts to be so very interesting. More subtlety than just Verse, Chorus, Bridge. These songs are typically harder to fully absorb without several listens and the passage of time, but they're worth it! Plus, the musicianship, voice, and emotional intensity (joy, enthusiasm, interplay/contrast between positive and negative emotions...)!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  8. aspwatterson

So when you going to put some stuff on here so we can see you, feel you, touch you? You gotta webcam facebook connect etc? Phps you are really a Celeb and playing with us poor moronic morsels? I'd imagine you as a Robert Plantish sorta figure, but only guessing? There's definitely a Jimmy Page thing about you?

Just remembered, that you saw Nick last year didn't you in USA?

andi:confused1:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  9. NoCelebrity

Anti/Non/Not a Celebrity Psychology 101

Yup! Just click on my name, my profile, then my photo album. Mary took two pictures of me with Nick after the show that show my nostrils quite well, but do hide my balding pate. The color difference in the photos of Nick is with or without flash.

I guess I'm generally modest, and always trying to get better. I started writing songs before I was a decent musician. Wanted to do it all. The "flaky" comment is friends are always too busy to practice, or have given up playing for money. And then of course I must be flaky to think I can be a success against all odds:wink:! I know I need more rehearsing than most. Now I'm fifty and beginning to think I can have fun at it without a big risk of becoming a target of Papparazzi. I hate the devolution of the spirit modern "CELEBRITY" imposes on a person's soul (I'm sorry for that horrible fusion of metaphors, etc.). Roy is sort of my hero in that way more than any other.

I'm gearing up for some solo intros this year at a couple jam nights nearby. Friend Mary is encouraging me, as her skill is similar to mine. She's more into jams -- I want to see what drums, soloists, and a bass player can add to my stuff. I know that's kind of cheeky, so I got to get up and show my chops. I figure the extra practice for two of my better songs is a fair investment of time at this time.

RP and JP? Well, duh... LZ, PF, TH, JJC, SD, TheB, TheC, TheD, TheP, TheW, CCR, JM, RS, Y, B52, and BC, GC, FST and SB were all strong audio influences in my teens.

Now digest all that, and get back to me. I'm also trying to figure out a little of Magic Feather TABS with lemurjin and/or justhebo (?). In fact, I bet you, Andi, can figure out some of the skiffle-ish portions better than me and contribute.

10. HarperPR

Maybe we should have a poll for the 12 Last Guitar tracks to vote for favourite?

11. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Good idea... but let me buy it first :D

12. tim.burton

tim.burton I've got a zappy little nappy

i have not heard new album yet but will order it as soon as poss.can someone describe what its like as i,ve read mixed reviews.is there other songs you can compare to any of nicks others?

13. HarperPR

Have you read the reviews on here, Tim, or some elsewhere? Do post a link if you find any I have missed! There are more album reviews due to come (it takes awhile to get album out, then they have to get someone on the various magazine/site to review) - I think Jackie must now dread my sending another batch of names through to her!

But reviews are really only the opinion of the one individual who wrote the review. You are best to judge for yourself.

14. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

You can also, of course, hear two tracks from the album on the newest podcast...

15. Tim-

Tim- I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi all, well got the new album the other week at a gig in Preston (impressive as ever - particularly liked the slower version of Blood Songs which I'd never heard live before - gig finished at 1pm with Nick wandering the audience playing - I think - Swansong before doing a runner out of the exit). However the new record is not doing it for me yet - too many of the songs seems to chug-a-chug along with rather boring meoldies. For me it's not showcasing Nick's fantastic vocal & guitar talents. And, sorry, but Silly Daddy strikes me as just self-indulgent. Although I'm sure some of the songs will grow on me.

Tim

http://www.last.fm/user/stormcock

16. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Hi Tim! I must have sold that CD to you :biggrin: That was some gig, what a fun night - and I think the last song was "Like Punk Never Happened" but hey it was 1am what do I know :wink: Give the album some more time, I find it's grown on me over time, I can't get some of those melodies out of my head...

17. aspwatterson

Nick's direction..

I would love him to team up with another really good acoustic guitarist, and maybe accompanying singer,and do some fancy stuff like Roy & Jimmy on Stormcock - as a whole story in the Album moving from one theme to another seemlessly.

andi

18. Tim-

Tim- I've got a zappy little nappy

Yes, 'Punk...' - I'm sure you're right - titles not my forte. And yes, 1 AM! (1pm - that woudl have been a long gig!).

http://www.last.fm/user/stormcock

19. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

It's on the way.... :D

20. NoCelebrity

I agree with SPB. I first listened to it intently, then other listens I've left it on as background music. It'll grow on you more than you think, if you give it a chance. I think in the old days with a smaller selection of vinyl LPs available, people naturally gave their favorite artists more time.