1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New guitar but which amp?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by fuzzytnth3, Dec 22, 2010.

1. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Hi all as I said in a post about Nick's singer songwriter workshop the reason I can't go is that I have just bought my first electric guitar since I had an Epiphone back when I was 17 but sold it about a year later. Having played acoustic for these last 34 years I have gone a bit mad and bought a Fender Jim Adkins Thinline JA90 which I will be picking up from the shop on Christmas eve, very excited. :D

My problem is I know diddly squat about electric guitars but most of all absolutely nadda about amps. When trying out the guitars in the shop I got to use a Fender Deluxe VM Guitar Combo 40 watt Amplifier which the guy in the shop set up for me and I really liked the sounds it made but it does cost a serious whack of dosh.

So I'm wondering if there is something cheaper but similar that I should be trying out in my local guitar shops.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

3. fuzzytnth3

Err thanks Andi :wink:

but it was Electric Guitar amps not a hifi amp

Having been wasting time on You ya Toob I have possibly found a compromise a Fender Super Champ™ XD

[youtube]Ek6PiHd-H2U[/youtube]

Other possibility is a Mustang™ II but I'm not so keen on that despite it being the cheapest I don't like the fact it has a bzillion possiblities sound wise but you have to contend with lots of combination's of knobs plus hooking up to the PC for even more sounds.

[youtube]Myzy7_5zkVg[/youtube]

Heres a demo of the amp I had a shot of when choosing the new guitar

[youtube]6y-ZNptjlvI[/youtube]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  4. aspwatterson

Looks Good to me

That looks pretty good! But they are not Amps anymore they are synthesisers with multi functions by the sound of it.Got a couple of friends who would recommend, but it'll take a couple of days,if you are not in a rush to get one. I would imagine Nick would have a pretty good idea now I think about it though....

A

ps Is that you playing The Ocean by Led Zep on you RSS link? Sounds like you've got a perfectly feasible Amp! Unless it's just put through the computer? Sori ain't that techno..on a learning curve...

5. fuzzytnth3

Not in a rush at all would rather get it right first time if possible. So if your pals have any suggestions that would be great.

Btw not me playing the Led Zep you got a link to it?

ps

Just found an excellent wee tutorial about amps here
    http://www.justinguitar.com/en/GG-010-AmpBasics.php

6. aspwatterson

LZ covers

[youtube]HzOK4Ga3ckQ[/youtube]

A

7. fuzzytnth3

I wish! :drool5:

8. aspwatterson

This...

[youtube]uYr4KR88wkg[/youtube]

This is Viv Lock's YT site. He's an old old friend, half brother to Mudshark in Cardiff,and brother of Phil Lock [ aka Jimi Hendrix]. He's a guitar teacher, can play anything and is an official European music examiner of guitarists. Am sure if you send a message, mention me as that Roy Harper nut called Andi in Basingstoke, and he will guide you further...

Chrs
    Andi

9. aspwatterson

...link maybe of passing interest?....

http://www.elektor.com/news/it-s-al..._source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

andi [did you find an amp in the end without the fuzz Fuzz??]

10. fuzzytnth3

Yup gotta Fender Super Champ XD a nice compromise between all the bells and whistles of the new Mustangs and GDec3 amps and a proper valve amp such as the Deluxe VM which my bank account sadly couldn't stretch to but I did get a shot of in my local guitar emporium and a lovely sound it makes to.

Currently trying to suss playing Little Wing, having pretty much got the hang of Peter Green's Albatross. All in all very much enjoying the Fender JA90 and suspect a couple more bells and whistles will be getting added to it such as wah wah pedal eg a Dunlop and a looper either the Boss RC-3.

Then all I've got to suss out is hooking it up to my Mac to make recordings over some excellent backing tracks you can pick up via the interwebs.

11. aspwatterson

This...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/140538478890

This is Ron's who lives in Brighton at de mo but his equipment is in Basingstoke. Sounds painful?! Ron set up several open mic gig venues when he was here, and has our total respect, and we miss him and his lovelee Debbie. He is currently loving the music scene and people down there by the sound of it.

Andi