1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Harper Store Website

Discussion in 'General' started by ironman88, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ironman88

ironman88 I've got a zappy little nappy

Hooray!

I'm really excited to see the "no longer available on CD" albums available for download at long last. I guess it would simply not be financially viable for Roy to ever release these on CD again.

I'll be purchasing flac downloads of those over the coming weekend.

But nevertheless, being of a certain age (I guess), I prefer something I can hold in my hand so I'm wondering how extensive the "artwork" included with these releases is.

A complete set comprising Front cover, booklet, inlay tray and CD labels would be just exactly perfect.

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

What you get is a zip file containing the FLAC files (obviously), a .cue file to help with burning a disc (if you know what a cue file is, you'll know what to do with it. It's meta information about the tracks, intervals etc).

You get printable cover art, though only the front cover art. And then a pdf of the lyrics and other comments taken directly from roy's lyric book, minus photos.

So it's not a copy of the original CD release booklet etc, but a decent alternative.

Paul.

3. ironman88

So, not exactly perfect then.

Might it be possible, if someone would obligingly scan at least the front and back covers, to host those scans here or at least post links to them. Please. Or would that be raising copyright issues?

Front cover scans are all very well for itunes.

Just a thought.

4. pd

Sorry guys but, having checked, I can't have the scanned in stuff here for copyright reasons...

5. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Flashes

Shame this is released in a shortened version rather than the original double album edition.

6. Friar Snig

Friar Snig Computer stained fingers

I'm delighted to see a download of 'Poems, Speeches...', and I am downloading it right now.
    Brilliant!

7. ironman88

Once - there was artwork included

I tried out the download purchasing experience today and managed to stuff it up by purchasing Once....twice - residue in my shopping cart. :angry: I carefully checked to make sure that I wasn't charged VAT but didn't check the quantity box. Idiot! Oh well, I've requested a credit to my account so we'll see what happens next.

But, the good news, from my point of view, was that the Once file set did contain a pdf front cover and inlay tray artwork. I noticed that the files were dated 22nd January (which, curiously, is after this thread started). However, I also downloaded Burn The World and found that it did not have similar cover art with it. Mmmmm.

Do you think that the good folk at Science Friction might be adding more cover art to these download files and that they'll get to Burn the World soon?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  8. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Well!

That's very sniggish of you! Thanks for letting us know!

Keep the faith andi

9. ironman88@iinet.net.au

ironman88@iinet.net.au I've got a zappy little nappy

more on artwork....Tracy says:

"re: the artwork... i had intended to have the covers and inlays ready
    for all of the downloads unavailable on cd. some got more finished
    than others but.. it turned out to be a slightly more involved job
    than i had imagined. i wanted to do slightly better than just scanning
    in the original covers, when possible, but a lot of the original
    artwork has been lost or misplaced over the years. and since i'm the
    head of ALL departments here at science friction i simply haven't had
    the time to finish it all yet but didn't want to hold up the
    availability of the downloads.

as the artwork gets finished i'll be adding it to the download files
    and contacting those who didn't get it with their purchases. "

:biggrin:

10. pd

Just a quick note... that looks like it came from a private email and it's not terribly good form to post personal mail to a public forum. It's an etiquette thing :)

11. ironman88

Apologies to all concerned for my breach of etiquette.

But then again, I am just a colonial boy.

12. Jeremy Greenwood

Jeremy Greenwood I've got a zappy little nappy

Is FLAC format compatible with iTunes on the Mac?

Before I splurge just want to check the format is compatible with my setup...

13. ironman88

iTunes and flac

Personally I want the lossless flac files to burn to CD in any case.

But, I did put my downloaded Harper albums into iTunes by simply importing them from the newly minted CDs.

As far as I know, you will need to seek out and download a 3rd party application to covert Flac to Apple lossless format. I don't think apple support flac directly at all.