1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Roy Compilation (digital format) !

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by bigchris, Apr 5, 2011.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Hi John

We aren't actually talking about ipod syncing, I still think iTunes is probably the best way to do that. Rather we're talking about ways to buy digital music. The iTunes store is very popular but Apple are pretty mean with the money... I gather that they take a huge cut. If you buy directly from Roy's store, there's no middle man.

FLAC is a lossless audio format which means that if you were to burn a CD from it, you'd get an exact copy of the retail CD. If I buy a FLAC download I tend to burn a CD and then convert FLAC to MP3 if I also want it on my ipod. Ipods do not support FLAC. Apple have their own lossless format called AAC lossless (I think) but I don't use that.

There are many ways to convert from FLAC to MP3 but if you make a CD anyway, then it's easiest just to rip the CD into iTunes again like you would with a retail CD. If you want to do it without all the CD malarkey, take a look at http://flac.sourceforge.net/ and it'll direct you towards various (free) ways to work with FLAC. I recommend the foobar2000 program to play audio on a PC by the way, it understands FLAC and many other audio formats out of the box and it's free.

I also use a converter program called "dbpoweramp" which is fantastic, but you do have to pay for that one.

Hope this helps :)

Paul.

2. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I was replying to PD's comment not yours (!) ... was referring to other places where you can download music ... don't get me started ( again ) on the chuffing iPhone debate !!

Though saying that .... does http://www.mediamonkey.com do it ? I know people who used to use this to sync their music libaries with iPods - not sure if it works with iPhones ?!

3. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

Thanks for the info guys