1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next album from Nick

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by HarperPR, Jan 25, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

As we've discussed here past works, what are we hoping to see and hear on the next album? More of a raw, acoustic nature? Another in the Bloodsongs vein? Or something breaking new ground entirely?

And while we're on the subject: singles - more? - yes or no.

2. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Back to basics, another like "Kennel" would be nice.

Riverside has been absent from the live set for too long.

3. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Another live one but with all new material would be interesting.

4. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

I second that motion, or, if not all new material, at least different versions of previously released material. Perhaps a few more examples of seriously electric guitar like on that brief burst on Guitar Man on Double Life would be interesting.

5. HarperPR

A live album with all NEW material....?! Mmm, that would be a new concept!

6. SteveT

Nick could become a trailblazer for the new concept!

7. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I like the idea of a live album with all new material but I would prefer a "recorded live in real time but in the studio" no overdubs and no other instrumentation (apart from effects pedals/macbook processing "live") deal. I'd also like a 5.1 mix available - I still remember the surround sound gig of ages back and wish I had been able to buy a recording of that.

As for singles, I don't think they are important.

8. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Not quite a new concept: viz The Turning Point by John Mayall in about 1970. A great album, with no drums, which was revolutionary at the time.

Bob

9. HarperPR

I would have to disagree with Paul on the unimportance of singles. From a marketing and publicity point of view, they are very important; even more so if they are accompanied by a vid.

10. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

You're the expert! :)

For me personally, though, they have no real value as I either buy an album or nothing. I guess that may be age related though. Speaking of old age and remembering album covers of past decades, how about a gatefold sleeve by Hypgnosis... :rofl:

11. SteveT

.....Or a Roger Dean panorama!

12. Green Man

Green Man Guest

A stripped down affair a la 'Miracles' would suit me fine. I like the idea of another live recording though - Nick is playing brilliant renditions of Real Life, Evo and many other tracks which didn't appear on Double Life.

13. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

...imaginary friend, blood song, simple

14. Green Man

Green Man Guest

Indeed. :cheers2:

15. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

I'd love to hear another Harpic album of played in one take, no overdub wonderfulness (Edit: I'm thinking of something along the lines of Instrumental with singing. If he needs any backing vocals how about calling in that lass from Real Life...)

As for singles - I agree that they're great promotional tools. I know Nick's not keen though. If he did go down the single route, I'd want CDs with new songs or unreleased live recordings for the B sides. While it was nice to give a bit of money to charity for BST, people that bought the album didn't really get anything extra out of it.

I had a wee idea for promotion though. I couldn't help but notice that Mr Gomm has finally stuck up a live video of him doing Radioheads High and Dry. He's promptly got about 30,000 hits on youtube in one month. How about a cover version of something popular in the Harpic stylee with a professional looking video to plaster over a few sites. I'm pretty sure that Massive Attack's Teardrop got a fair bit of attention for ol' ginger dreadlocks too. It seems like a great way of grabbing attention for an artist's actual music.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  16. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I'm inclined to agree with Jane's review that Nick has more talent in his toenail clippings than some of the "chart topping mediocre warblers put together" It all depends which path Nick wishes to take I suppose, I think tracks like Simple and By My Rocket Comes Fire would give any chart hits a run for their money. However would the NH scene and following, have the same feel about it when presented in a commercial arena?

17. HarperPR

I wonder whether anyone would be interested in hearing Nick collaborate with other artists, both on record and in a gig capacity, such as teaming up with another guitarist and doing a short tour or working with on album?

18. SteveT

That may depend on who that other person is. I vote for Mika!

19. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

How about getting together with Katie Melua? :biggrin:

20. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

GAH! :w00t:
    If anyone says Admiral Rhyming Slang next... :smash: