1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next album from Nick

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by HarperPR, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

You saw my comments on the Harper-Gomm encore :)

Didn't Nick say he fancied trying writing choral music at some point?

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

This seems like a good time to resurrect this thread, seeing how we are rapidly advancing towards towards 2009 and the next album release from Nick.

Any thoughts or comments - particularly from newer members who may have missed this thread originally - on what you might be hoping for this time? More of the same? Something different?

3. dim

dim I've got a zappy little nappy

id actually like to see, and as someone who only has the last few albums (i was late joining the revolution), not a greatest hits as such, but an album of his best songs, maybe rerocorded in a different way.. i know theres only seven albums to draw on, but it would be a nice starting point for new fans

+ actually as a side note, if someone has no nick harper albums, which one do you recommend them to buy first... its difficult..

things like bloodsongs, i love live, but not as keen on the original etc.. guess i want a (greatest) hits album.. :D

if its original... i would love something simple.. with uriel on the one take method.. :D

4. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I've started recommending the DVD to people first, then Double Life second. May as well go full-on and see if they can take it :wink:

(who'd listen to me though, my first album was Smithereens and I like the production LOL)

As for me, I like Dim's idea of the re-recordings of older songs (in lieu of a 'greatest hits'), but basically I just want Nick to make music that expresses himself as he wants and makes him happy. And if I like it, that's a bonus ((tm) Smash Hits, mid-80s :wink: )...

5. dim

as for singles...?

nowadays, im not convinced on there usefulness...

yes to top end acts, accompanied by a video, charting they help raise the profile of the band, get them chat shoes and everything else, but sales are so pathetic that as they are purely a publicity tool...

for less high profile acts, do they make any odds... I dont know.. .with digital downloads now its simple enough for anyone to download a single track or two by an artist if they want to check them out before investing in an album (for many people the old reason for buying a single)... if you are doing a solid, packaged version then you have to outlay more money (the artist) and is it that financially viable... (more and more lesser bands just do ep's with no particular release date).. singles traditionally got radio airtime, but to someone of nicks position surely a promo copy of the new album thrown in the post is just as effective as a single..

if you look at something like for instance the 3dm ep released on last year, that did work.. and ep released on one tour, to promote an album being released on the next tour.. that works.. but singles... hmmm

(actually theres an idea.. if nick has an album coming out in say autumn/winter 2009.. why not on the spring tour of 2009 an ep of maybe one finished song, and some early takes of songs to be on the album.. maybe 3 or 4 accoustic demos of songs that will be on it.. that would be stunning, to get a raw, 4 track ep in the spring, and then in the autumn hear the final version, the completed songs... :eek:) actually, im positively jumping up and down with excitment at that idea... imagine if 6 months before the release of miracles there had been an ep of just nick, accoustic guitar putting down demos of blue sky, evo and a couple of others, maybe even a track that didnt make the final album and then six months on getting the finished version... sex on a little silver disc.. :D in fact sod the cd... do it on record.... sex on vinyl.. :D - it also gives nick time to see feedback on the ep, what people thought of the tracks, what they would like to see done with them, how they could be performed etc... so the final tracks can be tailored to the public...

but anyway. .aside from my damn good idea... singles...
    not convinced.. digital only, yeh fine, raise a few quid, pick up the profile a little bit, get a few quid more out of the hardcode fans (while making not a lot for yourself)... solid copy, well outlay a load of money to get just as little back.. (personally i cant stand digital singles - i prefer having a cover to look at etc).. that said, lb your the marketing girl, so you should know more than us if they work or no.. i just have to buy the things...

but i do think my ep idea is one of the best ive ever had.. id buy it.. :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  6. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Hmmm! Like the way you think! :biggrin:

7. HarperPR

Dim, have read your points with interest.:wink:

I have passed a copy on to Nick as I think he may like to read it.

When you say you'd to hear versions of songs done in a different way, do you mean something akin to what he did with Love Junky on Charles Hazlewood's show last year? (I have been 'hearing' a slowed down, bluesy version of TI in my head for ages. That's probably just me though, being weird!)

Singles, digital or physical, are still the way on to radio playlists. It IS a good marketing tool to garner interest for an album released say 6-8 weeks later, and which runs parallel to or precedes a tour. In doing this, all wrapped up within a max 12 week bundle it pumps up print media interest as well as radio play/live on air sessions.

8. dim

the songs done a differnt way, i mean

many artists write a song and it is put onto an album quite early in its life... over the years the artists develops the song, and it may turn from perhaps an electic fast, high tempo song into a slow accoustic song, with things changed, etc.. i would be ready to bet that there are songs nick wrote 10-15 years ago, that given the chance now would not be the same.... an opportunity or the artist to rerecord certain tracks for a best of album, as they will...

i assume the passed on to nick bit you mean my genius idea.. :D :D :D lol
    only jokin.. but i do thing it would work...

9. HarperPR

There may come a time for that, who knows...:wink::)

But, to get back to what I originally said, I was rather more wondering what people were hoping for on the 2009 album, which as we know, is not going to be a greatest hits or similar...