1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick at Otley Korks, Fri 18 November 2011

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by scotpaulabear, Jul 25, 2011.

1. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

2. Colin L

Colin L Computer stained fingers

We've debated all week whether to go or not.. we were going to have a cosy family night in watching children in need, but the kids have coursework and sleep to catch up on. So we've just rang up and reserved a couple of tickets and a table to eat first. Anyone else be there?

3. StevieHJ

StevieHJ I've got a zappy little nappy

You made the right choice. We saw Nick last night in Leek, Staffs and he was on top form. I am ashamed to say it was the first time I had seen Nick having seen Roy Harper many times between 1975 (HQ tour) and probably early 1990s. Enjoy it tonight. You are in for a treat

4. Colin L

yes looking forward to it, our 3rd time seeing him in 2 weeks.:biggrin:

5. StevieHJ

Now I am jealous! Going over to my home town of Sheffield to catch the gig there in Feb though. Have a good night out!

6. Beebfader

Beebfader I've got a zappy little nappy

Otley

Well, that was an experience not to be forgotten in a hurry. Thanks to a retard calling himself `Simon' we were treated to a relentless volley of witty heckling at every opportunity from "get on with it", to "get on with it" and for good measure: "get on with it". He even had a T-Shirt with "get on with it" on it. This is true !

To be fair to him to put Nick at his ease he did welcome Nick onstage with the comment that the young support act Isaac (who was obviously honoured to be there) was better than him, which must have been a morale booster on a dark Friday night in the back room of a wine bar in Otley.

Nick was pretty upset, and even said from the stage that despite his outward bravado it makes him question the worth of what he is doing. So I'd like to implore anyone who may know `Simon' to give him a kick in the bollocks from me. To try and analyse this level of moronic behaviour is ultimately futile.

What did shock me somewhat was that people did not react more vociferously to shut this ***** up. He was at one point threatened with ejection by a mortified promoter whose night was not going well. I even heard people say that banter is part of a Harper gig experience as if to justify it. This was not `banter', it was abuse, disrespect and ignorance. Why should I have to go to a gig to listen to some waste of rations bellowing at the top of his voice instead of the guy I have come to listen to?

This **** has plagued Harper gigs for the thirty years I've been going to them. I am NOT talking about a one off comment which stimulates a lively response from stage and makes the evening entertaining for all, I am talking about "get on with it" every time Nick paused for breath, and "show us your bum Roy". Is there ANYONE here who still finds that amusing at all ?

Speaking to Nick afterwards, it was HE who was apologising for not handling the situation better....before we were interrupted by guess who ? Mr ***** himself wanting his CD signing three different times. Here's to your good grace Nick, if I had had a taser I would have used it.

7. Roydan

Roydan Computer stained fingers

Good gig all in all, Nick was on form until the end when the Tequila kicked in. Fantastic version of Freestyle which I'll post in the Vids section at some point.

The support guy (Issac ?) played one or two corking songs which helped set the mood.

Probably won't get to another Nick gig now, but that one was like none I'd been too before so quite happy I made the journey over.

8. Colin L

I agree with the comments above. Other rubbish that the w****r came out with was when Nick broke a string on the 2nd song, something like "oh not that old routine again" or something similar. So Nick stopped singing and changed the string in silence. We also got along with "get on with it" "I've paid for this"

Personally I feel the promoter should have asked him to leave. I too feel a little guilty that I didn't do something more pro-active to shut him up. But I also felt that Nick wouldn't have wanted a scene - If my mate "madders" had been there....... well he's not as tolerant as I am!

I haven't come across this guy before i don't think, but will remember him for the future.

Nick was great and Joy and I, as well as the remaining audience made a point of telling him. In the 20 years or whatever it is that I've been watching Nick, I have never seen him upset like he was last night.

9. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

My dad always used to say that in life, there's always an a***hole somewhere, waiting in the wings to spoil things! Sounds like he needed a quiet word outside.. :11:

10. Roydan

I've been busy editing out the 'get on with it' e.t.c. and put together the many highlights of last night into a video (minus the new song). It's taking a while. All in all, we saw a very personal and heartfelt performance, albeit brought on by the fella front left.

For now, here is Freestyle. A personal favourite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KjmURrbZRg

11. StevieHJ

Sorry to hear that a GRADE ONE MORON spoiled what should have been a great night. Peace love and understanding? Nah, a good shoeing is called for.

12. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious I've got a zappy little nappy

Some of my friends were at this show and had some contact after it with the promoter who agreed that this guy spoilt the show but thought chucking him out would have made it worse!

13. Roydan

It really wasn't that bad, Nick should have risen above it all. The audience comments were bizarre though. I for one don't see Nick as 'the son of Roy Harper'. Nick is his own enitity. The woman asking him 'what would his Dad do'? I found more annoying than 'Get on with it'. Just to make it worse Nick kept harping on about how bad the gig had been, especially the first 30 minutes and said "I should have just said **** you all, and gone home for a good nights sleep". Who's the all? The 98.3% of people who were enjoying the evening? It was a superb gig.

Are we just seeing an audience shift? In the past Nick started supporting Roy but picked up his own audience by playing with Squeeze and the like. With Roy's well deserved upturn in fortune the spotlight will be on Nick even more by association now. Us lot here know it's just not like that, but Nick needs to start ignoring these comments and let the genius he is do the talking through the amazing lyrics and music that he writes.

14. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I don't agree, Roydan. Should Nick have to just suck it up and deal, whoever's kid he is? I'd bet he tried, but everyone has bad days and can hit their breaking point - maybe he hit his? It sounds like that to me. I've seen him go out on a limb trying to use humour, charm and reasoning on hecklers who weren't giving up because they were far too rude or drunk to care, and never really lose his cool. Whatever happened, I wouldn't wish that on any performer, especially someone I respect - it's not pleasant.

It's almost no-win... you risk alienating your crowd if you try to engage the troublesome person, or doing the same if you ignore the person or comment on the situation. Having worked on the promoter side, I think you sometimes HAVE to get a disruptive person out of a room if he/she has no respect for the performer or everyone else there. Remember, the rest of the crowd paid to see this gig - not the idiot spoiling it.

You'll be glad I didn't get to this one as I may have had a right ding-dong with Mr. Get On With It (I'm a midget and don't have a good left hook, but I've been told I can be a moany git when I want to be, LOL)... even if it were a good gig as you say, it's not fair that anyone should have to go through that... well, that's my £0.02 anyway.

15. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

So noone did anything? Noone said anything? The crowd remained silent and put up with it?

16. toneitup

toneitup Guest

Hi all.

Long time, no talk.

Well it definately was an awkward gig.

And in the end Nick put in the hard work and ground out a result. (another great night for me.)

One of the reasons that I keep going to back to see musicians like Nick is that it's never the same gig twice. Some nights can be just OK, but other nights (and there have been quite a few) can really be magic!

The over riding point for me was that I feel that Nick has always given me (the audience) 110%. And even more so on Friday night.

So I hope Nick gets to read this post and take heart, that I (along with others) appreaciated his hard efforts. And I'll be looking forward to getting 120% from him at a gig somewhere soon.:biggrin:

Cheers, All.

Tony.

17. Roydan

The crowd did respond in a negative fashion to Mr Get On With It. I just got really wound up with silly questions like "what would your Dad do"?. It was almost rhetorical. My anger levels flickered for a minute and if I was a violent man I may have kicked off. The same thing happened in Selby last year. I'm wondering if it was the same women. The crowd did start to warm to the disruptive fella though which added to the annoyance. Breaking point is probably the safest explanation.

18. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

It's a shame idiots like this spoil it for others, but if they're allowed to then I suppose it will continue. :angry:

I recall a 100 Club gig of Roy's and a certain lady just gobbing off all the time (I assumed she was not quite right in the head) but Roy was nearly off the stage in a rage. I think it was also that gig where a young fella was up on stage towards the end of the gig wanting to play with Roy and fingering his guitar!

Sad how things seem to have turned over the years, 'State of the Nation'?

19. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

This, from the Telegraph, touching on similar theme: "Disrupting concerts: is
    it ever acceptable?"
    http://dlvr.it/xCR0w

20. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

I've seen this kind of thing so many times at Roy and Nick concerts, not really at others. Maybe they are too accessible/approachable, I do think audiences feel a very strong kinship with the Harpers, and sometimes this can tip over into perceived matedom.
    This is the main reason I stopped going to see Roy in the late 80s, too many gigs were marred by idiots of this ilk.