1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick @ Boileroom, Guildford - Nov 26 2010

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Jul 12, 2010.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Friday November 26 2010

The Boileroom
    13 Stokefields
    Guildford
    GU1 4LS

01483 440 022

7.30pm doors

£10 adv / £12 door

Support: Brassneck (acoustic) + Pete Du Pon

www.theboileroom.net/index.php

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I hope this venue isn't going to become the usual alternative to the West End Centre in Aldershot as it isn't half as good !! I assume it's great if you can sit/stand and see Nick on stage ... but most folk can't see a damn thing !!

3. HarperPR

4. HarperPR

Almost the end of the tour, so catch him quick! :D

5. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Bit of a strange venue with a couple of upright girders blocking the view of the stage!
    Nick's set seemed shorter than usual, do we really need 2 supports acts?
    And why do people talk loudly all through the set? I'm sure these twats aren't members of this community.
    Good to see the 12 string out again although he had a few technical problems with it, doubt I'd go to the boileroom again though, why no Pompey show this time? There are some good venues there.

6. HarperPR

http://fb.me/BoN9IE6n

Barry, two supports is pretty much standard at a lot of gigs these days, not just Nick.

Talking is also pretty much! See the thread in Off Topic.

Towns get changed per tour, otherwise it would always be exactly the same.

7. Barry

How about Bognor next time then? :wink:

8. Barry

Despite Nick asking several times and someone shouting "Shut up" the ignorant half wits continued all evening, vile pieces of **** in my opinion!

9. gardbob

gardbob I've got a zappy little nappy

10. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Well I personally loved the gig in Guildford ... much better than I was expecting ( for many reasons ). As it was my birthday, I got the only present on the day from Nick ( to be on the guest list ) and the fact that he played my fave songs ... including Vampire !!

My original plan was to drive to the gig ( not drink ) and drive home ! But thank chuff that plan got scrapped ! I stayed with Dave B ( in Epsom ) and had a few beers before getting to the venue and then loads of bombardier when we got in. We actually got to the venue early ( in fact too early, as the website said 7:00pm opening, but in reality it was 7:30pm ) and the plan was to try and get a table and at least save a couple of seats/table for our friends that were joining us later ( & driving us home ) ... but even that bit of the plan went pear-shape ( but for the better ). There weren't as many tables as last time and so we had to plump for 3 rather cumfy stools in the middle of the room ... but then eventually moved them to bang in front of the stage ... now normally, I'm not too keen on sitting at the front, if I'm blocking other's views ... but as it was mentioned above, The Boileroom has two rather strange pillars ... so it was great for me to hide behind !

At this point, we were joined by another mate Andy and so the three of us, got into serious drinking mode and watched the support acts ( quite unusual for me ) and both acts were pretty good ... but IMHO two support acts is one too many !!

Because of the two support acts, Nick didn't get on stage until 9:30pm & officially the venue should close at 11:00pm ; but thanks chuff that Nick ignored the curfew. The banter was good ... the song selection was great ( Kilty Stone, SOM, Vampire, The Poem, Evo were pretty special ), the company was fun, the beer was flowing, there was a bizarre issue with a strange sound ( sounded like a coffee percolator ) ... but we eventually got used to that ... and then there was the aforementioned "chatting in the crowd".

But IMHO it's the venue that has to be partly blamed for the chatting ! First of all, when I got there and said I was on the guest list, it took them a while to find my name; as there must have been at least 25 people on the list ( I reckon that was about 1/3 of the whole crowd !! ) That's another bad reason for having two support acts - more free-loaders who are there just to see their mates and not the main act !!

But the main reason for the chatting is the size and shape of the venue. Because there is more space in the venue, where you can NOT see the stage than where you can. So if you are at a gig ( either free or paid for ) and you can't actually see the stage, then of course you are going to be mighty pissed off ... and that will start you talking to your mates ( ie. "this venue is pants ... I can not see anything" and then the conversation continues ).

Don't get me wrong ... I like the venue and the guys running it ( they quickly switched off one of the stage lights, that was shining into our eyes ) - and it's a great place to see Nick - IF you are lucky enough to get into the space, where you can see the stage ... if not ... you then find yourself at the side; next to the bar & loos and pretty cheesed off ( I am talking from experience here ... we were in that position last time ! ).

So overall, I really enjoyed the gig ... in fact I enjoyed it so much ... that I decided NOT to go to Winchester the next day ... that gig would just have been a dissapointment to me, compared with the atmosphere at Guildford ... plus the fact that I was rather hung-over on the Saturday morning. BUT I just hope that these regular visits to Guildford are not to the complete demise of Aldershot ... which is a venue where EVERYONE can see the act on stage !!

11. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

A real chip off the old block..That was one of Roy's specialities, I'm sure he had to pay penalties for going over time in those days. There was one particular gig I remember at The Key Theatre in Peterborough (many many moons ago) he was so far over time, I'm pretty sure he must have owed them money by the end of the gig! :biggrin:

12. HarperPR