1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick @ Celtic Connections, Glasgow, w/Duke Special 22/1/09

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by scotpaulabear, Oct 21, 2008.

1. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Oh the excitement - Scottish gigs always get me HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY :m20:

The website has crashed and burned, but I confirmed with the organisers that he's on Thursday 22 January at Classic Grand, with support from Duke Special - ROCK ON!
    http://www.celticconnections.com/

2. scotpaulabear

Following up on myself, here's the direct link to the event page...
    http://www.celticconnections.com/whatson/event/81710

This is especially great cos Celtic Connections is such a big prestigious festival up here - it's been a while since Nick's been, and especially to get a headlining spot there (in a really cool venue IMHO) is FAB!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  3. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

BBC4 have given Celtic Connections some good coverage before so let's hope that continues.

4. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Wider still and wider

To be fair, the whole programme for the Festival is immense. I'm travelling 5 hours from my northern redoubt to catch some of it this time around, so some of you from the poor benighted southlands, that I abandoned to their fate, could do worse than head north for it. You will not be disappointed.

www.celticconnections.com

5. scotpaulabear

I'd have to agree - there's always tons on, and the Festival Club every night besides. This year, in addition to Nick, I may try to see the Burns Unit (Karine Polwart and King Creosote 'supergroup') and my friend wants to check out Cerys Matthews so I may go with her to that. Plus I have a feeling Big Chris may be around and about, and if he doesn't see Shooglenifty I'd be terribly surprised :wink:

6. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Well don't be surprised then ...

ticket booked for Shooglenifty ... and of course Nick !!

7. scotpaulabear

*Paula does the "Big Chris is coming to town" happy dance* :17:

8. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

As *luck* would have it, the owner of The Classic Grand is a colleague of one of my friend and journo colleagues. I think we can be assured of a royal reception that night!:wink: Reviews are already in hand too!

9. scotpaulabear

Just got the poop off his message board, Duke Special is indeed confirmed for this date! :thumbup:

10. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

What a night, oh what a night it was.... I mean will be....

Never been to Glasgae, really really thinking about it now...

11. scotpaulabear

Are you near Mcr, Pete? It's a doddle getting from one to t'other :coolgleamA: Classic Grand is a really cool venue... and Nick's in t'big room on the top floor too...

Let me know if you need any hotel advice, info etc - the Jurys is mere spitting distance away, and the Central Hotel round the corner is the festy hotel where they have the Festival Club every night and where I expect to get extremely legless at least once in January :rofl:

12. pete c

Possibly even better, near Wigan/Warrington on the West Coast Main line. Should be do-able, unless there's engineering works... I'll consult with management, luckily she's a Duke/Nick fan too. :biggrin:

13. scotpaulabear

Soooooooo... who's coming up then? Let's start a list:

Me, Jan, Tam, Big Chris, Phil(ippa), Graeme, Mhairi...
    plus at least 4 sacrificial Harpervirgins I can think of right off the bat :biggrin:

14. katyc

katyc I've got a zappy little nappy

Nick @ Celtic connections

Hi Folks, don't think I've said anything in print here before.... may have come accross some of you in Clonakilty July 07...
    Anyway, I'm off to Glasgow next wedns, have my NH ticket booked! Going to Lau/Lunasa the night before too. Happy to meet any stormcock people at Nicks gig..... how does that happen?...
    Kay

15. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Meet up with Paula! I'm 99.9% certain she'll be at Glasgow! In fact I first met Paula in Glasgow! I'm sure she'll be in touch - but if not, she'll be the one looking cool at the front and only drooling slightly when Nick comes on stage! :D I sadly won't be there - unless I win the lottery between now and then - is that likely? What are the odds these days? 1 in 3 or 4 is it? :confused1:

16. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

well I'll be there ...

( was also in Clon July 07 ) probably with the aforementioned Paula before and after the gig ... but probably not during ... as I'm far too big to be stood at the front !! It's Glasgow after all ( my sterotyping kicking in 'ere ) and so don't want to hassle the locals !!

There's a good chance that I'll be the biggest guy there ... probably wearing a grey hoodie ... but don't let either of those things put you off from saying hi !!

17. pete c

Absolutely no chance of me getting to this now. No holiday leave left for one thing.

Reports of Duke's 2 gigs so far on this tour have been really good, it's a two-man show, him & Temperance Society Chip Bailey on hardware shop. (you'll see what I mean...) don't be surprised if he performs part of his set on a piano amongst the audience....

http://www.dukespecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3224&page=10

18. riceyboy

riceyboy Guest

Count me in for the Classic Grand gig. Probably seen a few of you folks at many previous Nick gigs, but i'm a shy retiring type and just stand quietly at the side of the stage singing along with a bottle of beer.

19. scotpaulabear

Hi all, looking forward to meeting ya! Please come and say hiya at the gig - Chris is a strapping 6'8" Barnsleh lad and I am a shortarse Yank with flaming red hair who will probably be selling CDs - you can't possibly miss us, trust this :biggrin:

20. scotpaulabear

Why thank you... I think :wink:

Pete, sorry to hear you can't make it! I'm well looking forward to my first time with the Duke, I will even make sure to leave the bar next door early haha...