1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick @ Celtic Connections, Glasgow, w/Duke Special 22/1/09

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by scotpaulabear, Oct 21, 2008.

1. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

lol. All complimentary! Actually when I first wrote this I put dribbling - but then I realised that meant something entirely different.... :wink: We all love you though Paula!

2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Maybe you'd better speak for yourself on that one babe :wink:

Dribbling - well I am in my 40s now LOL...

3. katyc

katyc I've got a zappy little nappy

Thanks folks!! I think I remember 'big' Chris from Clon alright.... Looking forward to meeting yez all! and counting the days til Nick!!! See ye there! :)

4. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Oh !! I hope that's a good thing ?

5. scotpaulabear

I would hope so! You're a legend! :thumbup:

6. katyc

katyc I've got a zappy little nappy

Well it's definitely not a bad thing! (couldn't figure out how to get the quote from Chris in here..) From what I can remember, I was saying hello to Roy at the Gathering and you were leaving so he was saying Goodbye to you... ish.... Heading to Glasgow tomorrow, REALLY looking forward to it all now, but especially Nicks gig! Hope to meet up with some of yez there. Enjoy the festivities!!! K :)

7. scotpaulabear

It's all go up here... ABC2 flyers have been printed for distribution, my homegirl Phil has arrived with Harpervirgin boyf in tow, we pick up Chris from the airport tomorrow and head off to Glasgae... yes indeedy, I'm now officially terribly excited about this :biggrin:

I may swoon!:svengo:

8. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Photos! setlist! Fashion report!
    Have a great time all.

:biggrin:

9. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Yeah! Rock on sister!

You lucky lucky thing!
    Enjoy enjoy enjoy while it lasts!

chrs
    andi

10. scotpaulabear

Of course a fashion report... and the rest hee hee :biggrin:
    Wonder if there'll be wifi at the Festival venues, must remember to stick netbook in my bag :wink:

I lurve the start of a tour!!

11. pete c

If you're going to this, be aware that Nick is on first so get there early.
    But be sure to stick around for the Duke n Chip show...

12. intimate gigs

intimate gigs I've got a zappy little nappy

Ohh no he isn't........

I'm reliably informed by someone who is in the venue just now that Duke Special is on first, not Nick.

13. riceyboy

riceyboy Guest

Pete C, if you are a secret Duke Special promoter and this was just a cunning ploy to get us to see Duke Special then well done you. I really enjoyed his music.

If it was an honest mistake, then well done, I really enjoyed his music.

14. riceyboy

riceyboy Guest

Morning. What did you all think of the gig?

I'll be brave and say that it wasn't really a Nick crowd and the sound system left a lot to be desired.....and it was quite a short gig.

I'm guessing that perhaps this gig was squeezed in at the start of an already planned tour to take advantage of the Celtic Connections festival and a chance to display the god-like talents to a crowd who may not normally come along???

I'm treating it as a warm up to the ABC2 gig in April. :biggrinjester:

There was a reviewer for the Herald there tonight, he has 150 words each to write for Duke Special and Nick and it'll be in Mondays Herald.

I'm off to bed now, i've had some beer......now, what was that second thing i like?

15. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

16. pete c

Not a promoter at all, just a fan. There was a message posted on the Duke Special site to the effect that he was on stage at 9.20, from this I assumed that Nick would be on first. Was this not the case? Glad you enjoyed it anyhow.

Looking forward to Paula's report/reaction...

17. intimate gigs

Firstly..... I really enjoyed Duke Special. Musically there is not much in common with Nick and Duke, but for me I thought the pairing worked very well.

There were people who were there to see Duke Special and they left before Nick came on. A bit narrow minded, but they paid their money, they make their choice. I thought Nick was excellent as always. The sound in The Classic Grand is always a bit patchy, but did sound fine to me.

The problem was the talkers. I despise the "I've paid in, I can do what I want" brigade. At times the sound of talking was louder than the music.

Anyway.... Looking forward to tonight. If your coming, just remember that we have a 'talk while the acts are performing and your out' policy.

18. pete c

I like that policy. It should be rolled out nationwide.

19. scotpaulabear

Paula would like to report that she's had 3 hours' sleep after a) being texted by a pal in Glasgow at nearly midnight while winding up a birthday pub session, asking if I wanted to finish the night in Glasgow for the Friday festival club, b) getting the midnight bus over for shiz and giggles, and c) getting to see Harpic play a 20 minute version of Love is Music there at 4 in the morning after an alleged 3 HOUR LONG set in Coatbridge :blink:

I have photographic evidence, and some decent (I hope!) pics from the front on Thursday, but as I'm out most of the rest of the day they'll have to wait - sorry :blushing: I also have opinions, but I'll have to figure out where I left my brain to unpack them haha...

BTW, Duke went on at 20 past 8 and played for about an hour and a quarter, then Nick went on before 10 and got about the same, it can be a CC thing to treat it more like a co-headline than artist and support... and I did like Duke, he struck me as a bit cabaret (as a compliment, I'm thinking Rufus Wainwright)... dunno if I'd rush back but that was an enjoyable way to spend the hour. And my mate said he thinks only about 20 bailed after Nick - I suspect the crowd was near the 450 sellout for that room, which is GREAT!

20. intimate gigs

Outstanding....

A 3hr+ set it was in Coatbridge. Both Gavin and Nick were outstanding. This is in my top 3 gigs ever. I'm still on a high......