1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick @ Corn Exch, Hertford - Mar 19 2010

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Feb 27, 2010.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I will be going to this, since it's within staggering distance :)

3. HarperPR

At least I know where this is! But have forgotten, Paul, whether the nearest station is that one I came to when we met, or the other? And can I walk it in heels? I may see you, just waiting on whether El's sofa comes en-suite! Lol

4. pd

Either station would do but Hertford North, the one you came to, is on a better line so I'd use that if I were you. And it's all flat.

I've already offered our spare room to a friend but I'm sure we can sort you out with the sofa bed if El's place falls through :)

P.

5. HarperPR

Cheers, Paul! Probably okay, if I go. Only with The Twang now having put in a London date on the 13th I might have to rule myself out for the rest of the week!:biggrin:

6. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Calling the Hertford Homie ...

does anyone know of any cheap b&b's within staggering ( or limping for me ) distance of the corn exchange ? I've googled and most places are far too expensive for me ( that's what you get I guess from a posh place like Hertford ) ... I've sent an email to one B&B on Mangrove Road, but haven't heard owt back from them ... so if anyone has any local knowledge, then that would be cool ?!?!

7. HarperPR

I presume you have done the obvious, ie Laterooms and the B+B Directory? Have you also looked at pub accommodation?

Sure Hertford cannot be as expensive as blimmin Brighton on a weekend! That place must be as costly as London.

8. pd

I'm not much help I'm afraid Chris, Hertford is an expensive town in general and I've never looked into B&B. There is a campsite which might be an option if you're feeling extremely hardy. I'll point El at this thread to see if she can suggest something.

Vicky and I got married in Ware (the adjoining town) and I got the impression from our guests that it was cheaper to stay there than in Hertford, but then you'll have a cab or train ride home.

9. HarperPR

So, how was it for everyone then?

10. pd

I had a wonderful night. Such a refreshing change to be able to WALK to a gig. The Corn Exchange is a pretty decent venue; a little dilapidated perhaps but that adds to the charm. The crowd was somewhat on the small side but made up for this with plenty of backchat and humour (yes Ms Rose, this includes you!).

There seemed to be a continual procession to and from the gents loo which prompted comments about it being a meeting of the Hertford Incontinence Society. Nick wowed the crowd as usual and really made me laugh during the walkabout part when he sat on a comfy sofa next to a guy that was fast asleep and serenaded him for a while until he woke up. I really hope he comes back to our town... the gig was organised quite late and perhaps numbers suffered a little because of this, but I think many of the people that were there this time will come again, and spread the word.

As you will have gathered from the podcast forum I had a curry with Nick beforehand and did an interview that'll be out soon. If you listen with headphones you'll get the full binaural curry experience.

Lots of people went off for late drinks and more partying afterwards but I wimped out of that since I had my son coming the next morning for the weekend and I like to be at least vaguely awake for this.

Paul.

11. HarperPR

Small crowd, but they bought Cds in droves...the reverse of Brighton.

12. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Ah I missed that .... it must have happened during Love Junky ... a song that I used to love ... that was until the BOM Fest a couple of years back, when a mate of mine asked me a question during the song ... which I answered "NO" but now the answer is "YES" and I just can not listen to that song any more !!

Luckily the question won't effect many people who read this. One of our best mates at school ( and still today ) is a guy called John Kaye ... and the question was "do you think of John when you hear this song ?" Ahhhhhhhhh!!

But apart from missing that song ... the rest of the gig was a good laugh ... great venue that actually sold a decent ale ( Red Squirrel ) and I managed to grab a tall comfy chair to rest my poorly leg .... though I did have to kick some lass off it, when she pinched it during "Love John Kaye" !!

Great to see the old Hertford crowd in the fantastic White Horse ... many thanks to El for the very comfy sofa-bed and everyone else in the pub who made us very welcome !!

I too hope he plays there again !!

13. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I have been known to sing "by my pocket comes and incredible fire", whilst gesturing, and giving my 'knowing look' to whichever girlfriend is near to hand :wink: (well, it makes me laugh)