1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick @ Robin 2, Bilston - Mar 23 2010

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Dec 6, 2009.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Tuesday March 23 2010

Robin 2
    26-28 Mount Pleasant
    Bilston
    Wolverhampton
    WV14 7LJ

01902 401211

8pm doors
    1st support 8.20
    2nd support 9.00
    Nick 9.30

£10 adv / £12 door

Support: Georgia Ruth
    + Pete Kent

www.therobin.co.uk/whats_on/?m=201003

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  2. HarperPR

Support and times now confirmed.

3. HarperPR

4. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Due to my entire life being a circumstance beyond my control at the moment :blushing: I can't go to this gig now, and I have a super cheap Travelodge room I won't be using (and can't cancel) in central Wolverhampton for the night of the 23rd, sleeps up to 3 adults. I only paid 9 quid, so make me an offer to take it off my hands - would really be good to know someone was using it and having a good time as well...

5. HarperPR

With one day off...back to business tomorrow night with a return to Robin 2.

Come along...you know you all want to!:wink:

6. HarperPR

Lovely show. Two good supports. Pete Kent a young and quite good guitarist, rather reminded me of an early Nick. Georgia I am liking more each time I hear. Kate Bush with a harp!

Good set from Nick, with the banter supplied by Jeff, who is definitely going for top prize on number of gigs attended each tour. He is certainly out front! He even told Nick he looked like Frank Lampard at one point. In Our Time was rounded off with Nick running six times around the room before collapsing on stage, where he sat to play The Sky Goes All The Way Home. I think this was the first outing for Passing Chord too, that and The Last Guitar going down really well.

7. HarperPR

Setlist

100 Things
    Shadowlands
    Hey Bomb
    Passing Chord
    The Last Guitar
    Ama Dabram
    Evo
    FOTCOG
    In Our Time
    The Sky Goes All The Way Home
    Imaginary Friend
    Boy Meets Planet
    Aeroplane
    The Story Of My Heart
    Bloom
    Love Junky
    By My Rocket

8. HarperPR

There are some good pix from the show, but I may have to bribe the photographer (who thought Nick was like Neil Finn crossed with Robert Plant and Newton Faulkner) as being a prof he tends to sell only. But he may let me have a couple to put up.

9. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Assume that The Sky Goes All The Way Home is Solar Wind Sculptures from Roy's Green Man album?

Hope so, love this song, one of the gentlest, kindest things Roy's ever written, I think

10. HarperPR

11. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I think you'll find it on Nick's Instrumental CD, or you can download it for free here... http://www.harperspace.com/nick-harper-downloads.html :D

12. HarperPR

I am intrigued as to what Mr Monster might say about Friday at the Chapel...:wink: Feel free. You are amongst friends. Nice to see you again, btw.

13. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

You're leading me on, you tease.

OK, was intending to keep my counsel, but here's what I think I was trying to say....

Firstly, Nick's showmanship gets better and better; great banter and interplay with an engaged and respectful audience; makes a change not to have persistent loud nattering. Smashing venue, too. His guitar playing was absolutely breathtaking

My concern was with the song selection/ pacing of the set, which for me focused too much on the flat out, vocal pyrotechnics stuff, I've always been slightly ambivalent about his singing: I love stuff like 38, Imaginary Friend, where it's more controlled and slightly introspective.

The overall effect, not shared by most of the crowd, it must be said, was for me a bit overpowering and less fun than previous Nick gigs I've been to. The reaction at the end suggested I was in a minority of one (I enjoyed the closing four numbers post-fag very much, incidentally).
    It's all subjective; a friend who went to MK a couple of years back, who plays himself, said Nick had the best voice he'd ever heard.

Hope this makes more sense than the way I put it across on Friday; I must stop talking in code for fear of giving offence.

What is clear is that Nick's popularity is growing, maybe slowly, but enduringly. That is the real news, I think.

P.S. Cheers Travellerman for the song link.

14. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I wouldn't read much into the standing ovation he got at the end ... I may be wrong and those who did that, might have meant it .... but then again some may have just used it as an excuse to get some blood back into their legs and bums ... not the most comfortable venue in the world !!